I80 from Sacramento to Salt Lake in the winter?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

readytorv

There has been practically no snow this year so I'm curious if this is even an option?  Personally I would feel safer in our 4WD SUV but my husband would prefer to take the RV.  Another note, our RV is not winterized.  We would be taking the trip in the next couple of weeks.  I'm thinking with how slow we'd have to drive, we'd have to buy chains in case the weather turned bad and then I read once we arrive in Utah that if it's below freezing we run the risk of our propane tank freezing and we'd have to keep the heat running 24/7.  Thoughts? 

The highest point on I-80 is Donner Summit.  Most of the precipitation falls on the western side of the Sierras, Nevada is mostly desert.

I'd check the weather - if Donner is open to unrestricted traffic (no chains) and the rest of the route looks OK, then go for it.

If you get caught in some unexpected snow, just find a place to pull over and wait it out.  Interstates quickly clear afterwards due to the heavy traffic on it.  You don't get into extended winter closures until you're east of Utah in the Rockies.

Thank you!  What about while were in Utah as far as winterizing?  I'm trying to determine if it's worth the cost to possibly buy chains since we likely won't be driving in the snow often. 

We've never bought chains because they're so difficult to put on a motorhome.  For the same reason most RVs no longer have a spare tire.  If it's bad enough for chains then you should hole up somewhere until conditions improve, especially if you're not experienced with driving in snow and ice.

ArdraF

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elvislivesontimbits
Back
Top Bottom