Ice cold water coming out of shower head

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Rene T said:
Did the Oxygenics stop the problem completely?

It did for us, and got a lot better shower experience to boot. Be aware there are many Oxygenics shower heads on the market, many for sticks & bricks. Ours is the RV Spa model with the smart Pause valve.
Here's a chrome model from a site sponsor:
https://www.rvupgradestore.com/Smart-Pause-RV-Shower-Head-p/26181.htm
Pretty good price to.

New 5er does the same.
I point the head away from me for a few seconds.
Or switch the head to mist so it keeps running, but using less water.
Admittedly none of my camping has been boon-docking yet so water conservation has not been critical.

I have check valves both before and after the water heater.  Made no difference.  My theory is that the reverse flow rate is so minuscule that the valves don't seal at all.

Thank you for all the help!
I took a look at the water heater and did not find any check valves so I purchased an oxygenics shower head and a check valve for the outlet of the heater that was recommended. Once I get them installed, I'll report back and let you know how it goes.

Aaron k said:
Thank you for all the help!
I took a look at the water heater and did not find any check valves so I purchased an oxygenics shower head and a check valve for the outlet of the heater that was recommended. Once I get them installed, I'll report back and let you know how it goes.

You said there were no check valves, that must mean that you have 3 valves which need to be cycled in order to bypass the water heater for winterization. Is that right?

Just out of curiosity, can you try the new shower head before installing the check valve and post the results? The results can be something we all can learn from. If you end up having to install the check valve after the shower head swap doesn't work and you get the desired results, see if the old shower head also gives the desired results. There's nothing like getting an education at someone elses expense! ;D

kdbgoat said:
Just out of curiosity, can you try the new shower head before installing the check valve and post the results? The results can be something we all can learn from. If you end up having to install the check valve after the shower head swap doesn't work and you get the desired results, see if the old shower head also gives the desired results. There's nothing like getting an education at someone elses expense! ;D

Also, Dutch had said to install the check valves right at backside of the shower faucets. He said he's installed them on both the cold and hot sides. It may make a difference verses installing a check valve right at the water heater which could be 20' or more away.

Rene T said:
Also, Dutch had said to install the check valves right at backside of the shower faucets. He said he's installed them on both the cold and hot sides. It may make a difference verses installing a check valve right at the water heater which could be 20' or more away.

Exactly, Rene... If you're getting a blast of cold, install the check valve on the hot side right at the faucet. Hot blast? Install it on the cold side. The cold blast seems to be more common, likely due to the often longer hot pipe run.

whiteva said:
I changed to a temperature control valve, solving the problems of scalding or cold water when turning the water on and off.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wT8l_L5mrsE  You tube video.

Anyone else use one of these, as suggested?  Seems like a great idea if it works, although this Rozin brand on Amazon has limited reviews to consider.

Getting the right "warm" temperature using the standard separated hot & cold spigots is usually is problem for me.  I waste valuable stored water (both from the fresh water tank, and going down to the gray tank) messing around with temperature adjustments.

I have limited room at the faucet so I figured the next best thing is to put a check valve at the water heater.
I'm hoping that I get everything I ordered today and get it installed this weekend

kdbgoat said:

Sure I'll give the new shower head a try first. I really don't want to install the check valve if I don't have to anyway. I'll let you know what happens!

cpaulsen said:
I never turn my shower off  when showering.

I take it you never spend time at any electric only parks or boondocking then, where fresh water and waste tank capacities are an important consideration. A lot of us would rather not give up those experiences in favor of a longer shower...  :)

We're at full hook-up site right now and we turn it off. Why waste the water/electric and put extra load on the campground's septic system?

Well guys the oxygenics shower head did not work for me. It didn't do anything to cure the cold water blast. I do however have a nice looking shiny chrome shower head installed. It is much nicer than the factory shower head and the spray pattern is far better than the cheap factory head so I'm glad I installed it. Now to try the check valves!

Aaron k said:
Well guys the oxygenics shower head did not work for me. It didn't do anything to cure the cold water blast. I do however have a nice looking shiny chrome shower head installed. It is much nicer than the factory shower head and the spray pattern is far better than the cheap factory head so I'm glad I installed it. Now to try the check valves!

Thanks for the update Aaron. Let us know how you make out with the check valves. Are you going to install it right at the backside of the shower faucet assembly like Dutch recommended?

The only shower I've ever known to not have a cold start was in an apartment building where the hot water was circulated constantly. It was along side the water based heating system.

Rene T said:
Thanks for the update Aaron. Let us know how you make out with the check valves. Are you going to install it right at the backside of the shower faucet assembly like Dutch recommended?

I wanted to install it at the faucet but I don't think I have the room. It's pretty tight under the shower tub. I purchase the camco threaded kind that threads into the water heater.
On a side note, we have a shower head in one of the bathrooms in our house that has a hose like an rv shower head. I pinched off the hose for about a minuet to simulate shutting off the water in the rv to see if I got the same result in the house. I did not get the cold blast. I tried it a few times and every time the water was just as warm as before I pinched off the hose. Whatever is happening here seems to be specific to rv's

Back
Top Bottom