Ideas for Toy Hauler garage?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lisntodd

We are buying a Cyclone and since we will not be hauling a "toy", we need a good use for the garage.

The wife wants a Jacuzzi in the garage, I'm not sure how practical / possible that is. Would you guys please weigh in on this?

Thanks

http://www.heartlandrvs.com/index.php?p=35&c=toyhaulers&sc=CYC&i=CY+3800&view=floorplans&fcmd=showfplan

While you would certainly be the life of the party at the campground, this would not work very well. We have a small hot tub - about 6.5' x 7.5' in size. This would fit in your garage but holds about 300 gallons of water - 3,000 lbs when full. You couldn't travel with it full and something tells me that campgrounds would not be too thrilled with you filling it up upon arrival.

I wouldn't be real excited to have that weight plus people in the back of the toy hauler. Sounds like trouble waiting to happen. I'm sure some could handle it but I would be real leary!

There is also the matter of heating the water in the jacuzzi and running the circulation pump. I believe you will find the power requirements are substantial, possibly demanding much of what a 50A RV site could provide. And it takes several hours to heat up the water when it is newly filled or has cooled off between uses. And a nice hot tub has a 1.0-1.5 hp pump to provide the water jet action .

Here is an inflatable hot tub that requires "only" 250 gal of water (2100 lbs) and uses a 1000W heater. That's a very small heater - most spa heaters are 3000W or more. I'll bet it takes a full day to heat the water!

Inflatable Hot Tub

That's quite the unit, but I don't think a hot tub was what they had in mind for "Toys".  I have seen it done though, twice.  Both times were inflatables and one was carried in an HR side load TH, the other was ground-set after arrival.  A 250-300 gallon hot tub more than likely wouldn't give you any issues weight wise when you were parked.  I'm assuming that NOBODY in their right mind would attempt to travel with a hot tub filled in the back of their rig, although I would gladly pay a small admition fee to watch the first mile or two of the trip from a safe distance. Since there are pumps/heaters etc. that are designed for the smaller hot tubs I also doubt that you'd have power issues as long as you didn't attempt to run it through the RV itself and then fire up both AC's and the microwave.

Would "I" try this?? Nope, ain't my thing but as long as you're not thinking about installing a residential 8 person hot tub in the garage and driving down the road with the cover on to hold the water in I really don't see why not. 

I would ask only one thing, once you get it set up please let us know where you're camped at, we would be happy to bring our own towels and adult beverages.

Well, we are fulltiming so not "moving" much. So the weight wont be a problem. I was thinking a tankless hot water heater or something along those lines for "heating it up". We found a 4 person hot tub that uses 120 V / 15AMP for power and is 220 or 250 gallons. We wouldn't go over a 4 person.

If she would be happy with a tub, house type rather than spa type, one that is 72" X 60" X 24", holds 60 gallons, add less than 500# of water to the weight of the tub and will hold 2 people at a time.

just a thought!

If you are serious about a tub, I would make sure the frame and supports can hold that much weight.
Not to mention that water would eventually soak into the wood subfloor and start rotting.
I wouldn't do that to my TH.
Perhaps a cool living room setup and a sit down bar would be cool?

Just my 2 cents.

I know that there is no way to haul that tub loaded with water. Just for fun long ago I put a tarp in the the bed of a pickup and fill it with water. Just move the pickup a little bit in the yard starting and stopping you had water splashing every where. So that means you would have to drain each time you travelled. Then fill it again once you arrived in camp. Like other have mention about heating and pump(s) might be a big toll on the TH.

lisntodd said:
Well, we are fulltiming so not "moving" much. So the weight wont be a problem. I was thinking a tankless hot water heater or something along those lines for "heating it up". We found a 4 person hot tub that uses 120 V / 15AMP for power and is 220 or 250 gallons. We wouldn't go over a 4 person.

Just so you are aware.  With a 120V unit.  You can run the heat or the jets but not both.
This is not an issue for many but if you/she likes long soaks with the jets on, it could.

Personally I enjoy our HT at the stick house.  We use it regularly in the cooler months.  I dont care for the jets beating on me, but DW loves them.  To each their own.

Also if you dont have sewer on the lot... Will the CG allow you to just dump the water on top of the ground?
Food for thought.

Back
Top Bottom