Identifying hitch

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pfeifer6

I apologize if this is a double post. Having some technical issues.
Anyway, we bought a used truck and it has this hitch in it that is missing the ball. Anyone have an idea of what it is? Can we buy any ball online to replace it or should it be brand specific? We are supposed to go pick up our trailer on Saturday and need to get it squared away before then or will have to postpone for a week. :/
Appreciate any help.

That appears to be a gooseneck ball mount, right? The ball sizes are standardized, but the shaft that slips into the hole (gooseneck receiver) and locks may well be brand specific. The most common brands of Gooseneck hitch are probably Reese and Curt, but there are others.

Pfeifer6 said:
Can we buy any ball online to replace it or should it be brand specific?

it will be brand and model specific including the weight ratings, hitch data plate info will be on either side of the hitch frame mounting surface seen thru rear wheel wells

Thanks! We looked under the truck and couldn't see any logo or anything on it, but will look again. Could be it's up on the side where we can't get to it. I was wondering if it was a B&W. Hubby is taking it to a hitch place today to let them have a look.

Well, my husband took it to two different hitch places and they could not identify it. It seems that the hole in the picture is where the ball should go- but that would but a huge base for the ball and they said they have never seen anything like it. I suggested that might be a spot for a coupler/receiver- but you would thought the hitch place staff would think the same thing. (It also has a groove in the hole where a ball would slide in...) We emailed the dealership where we bought the truck to see if they can contact the previous owner. Can't find a logo or any information on it, but of course since it is installed we can't view the whole thing.

I think we're looking at having to buy a different gooseneck to go with the Anderson we already ordered. :-\ We were supposed to go pick up our trailer on Saturday but going to postpone it until next weekend. It's a 4.5 hour drive so we would prefer to drive the trailer home when we get there as opposed to purchasing it and having to come back a week later!

Thanks for your help.

Pfeifer6 said:
I apologize if this is a double post. Having some technical issues.
Anyway, we bought a used truck and it has this hitch in it that is missing the ball. Anyone have an idea of what it is? Can we buy any ball online to replace it or should it be brand specific? We are supposed to go pick up our trailer on Saturday and need to get it squared away before then or will have to postpone for a week. :/
Appreciate any help.

This is an underbed gooseneck system. It could be made by quite a few different manufacturers. You will need to stick with the same manufacturer to find the correct ball. Hitchweb sells replacement gooseneck balls, they might have something for you: Gooseneck System Replacement Pieces

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bob007
Back
Top Bottom