If you don't own one, I recommend a propane fire pit!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Gary, there are small tanks in different form factors (tall and skinny or short and fat). I really don?t like wrestling with the big bottles, so we got smaller ones years ago to operate lights and such. My personal preference is the short fat bottles about half the size of the big portable ones, but warning: they cost a LOT more than the common sized ones. We seldom use it because Kevin doesn?t mind hauling around the big ones. As for how long a big bottle lasts with a fire pit, it depends a lot on how high you have the fire. We have used one for a week of low fires, a couple of hours at a time before refilling. It wasn?t empty, but getting low. I fought against getting a propane fire pit for quite a while. However an entire summer in the west where no campground fires were allowed even in established fire pits changed our minds. We have also used it inside out Clam shelter with the storm panels on cold, wet nights, and it kept us warm and comfortable. Well worth the weight and space IMHO.

garyb1st said:
Sarge, didn't know there was a 1 gallon tank.  Other than weight, why not a 5 gallon tank?

Strictly a height issue Gary. Both of my pass through bays have sliding trays, and the frame rails of the rig run down the middle. I have another bay that would probably fit a larger bottle, but the sewer tote and a few other larger things are in there.  Since I am "full timer" loaded, careful space planning is critical.

And since I use it on the BBQ much more often than the fire pit, I get dozens of uses out of it instead of the little green throwaways. 

I, too, have a 5 lb (1 gal) tank. I went from the bottles to a 20 lb tank but then I got tired of lugging it in and out of the truck bed. The 5 pounder fits nicely in one of the front compartments. I get almost a full season out of it. The initial cost was a bit shocking (~ $45 IIRC) but the convenience is priceless!

Pam and Sarge, thanks for the replies.  Weight is definitely a consideration.  But honestly, it's part of my exercise routine.  ;)  That and my Honda Generator, air compressor and more tool than I'll ever need.   

Hope both of you are well and enjoying your travels.  Other than for long Jeep day trips, we've homebound.  We haven't taken the motorhome out since February.  While we're both more than ready to leave, we really don't enjoy the crowds and from the sounds of things, lots of folks are out scrambling for sites. 

Take care.  Hopefully by next January/February, if the entire country isn't on lockdown, we can enjoy a few days at KOFA.  Until then, take care and stay safe.   

Take care Gary. We spent a few days at a local state recreation area around Mother?s Day, and we have a trip planned this week to Alabama for some cabinetry work and new carpeting. We don?t plan on seeing anyone except the tradesmen though; AL is a real hotspot right now. We are still hoping for a Death Valley trip in late October to November (don?t want to leave until after we can do early voting), but even that is iffy. If we head to DV maybe you and Maria can join us. It is dry camping, but there are a lot of beautiful places to see there.

Pam, your motorhome is only 2 years old.  Why are you going to replace the carpet?  Let me know how it goes and if you don't mind, what it costs.  We've thought about replacing our carpet.  After 15 years it's really showing its age.  I prefer wood but the navigator likes carpet. 

Our carpeting was the standard beige cheap FHA grade. No matter what I tried cleaning it with it looked dirty. It is a major source of complaints with others who have the same rig. I am replacing it with a heathered color, a little darker, and MUCH better quality. The carpeting was around $650 because of my super long slide. Basically you just need the length of the longest slide and the length of the bedroom. I will let you know the cost of installation (three slides and the bedroom floor).

I have had just about every firepit known to man over the years.
We have huge bonfires at my house clearing all the brush to meet fire codes.
I used to go through 7 cords of wood a season heating my house.
All that said, for convenience sake, the propane fire pit is hard to beat.
We can pull into a spot late in the evening, have the gas pit going within 5 minutes of arriving, camp chairs around the fire, crack a beer and relax for a few before turning in. It's a real time saver.
We store it in the tub while traveling and put it outside right when we arrive. Easy Peasy.

Chakara said:
Like others, I prefer a real fire.  And to @PopPop51's point, I'm usually 100's or even 1000's of yards from the nearest other camper.  But ....  bans in the Southwest mean this time of year my portable propane fire gets some heavy use.

-Chak
Reminds me of when my wife talked me into getting one of those propane/fake woodstoves for our home. I protested that it was not a real fire. She, rightfully, said it was most certainly a real fire just propane fueled. She was right and I now love it so much more than burning 5 cords of wood every winter. This from a guy with a woodshop that stays busy making kindling wood every day.

Another advantage is the ability to instantly turn it off. I have never liked leaving a fire pit burning unattended when turning in.

So anyone have any models they like and care to post some links?

Ex-Calif said:
Another advantage is the ability to instantly turn it off. I have never liked leaving a fire pit burning unattended when turning in.

So anyone have any models they like and care to post some links?

This is the one I bought. It's not fancy but it works great.
https://www.fleetfarm.com/store/detail/bond-16-in-campfire-fire-pit-w-folding-legs/0000000340509/3600

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
am312
Back
Top Bottom