"ILLEGAL TO LIVE IN AN RV FULL TIME" A new HUD proposal on the horizon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You know, I know of nobody who lives in a ____ 24x7 save for some seniors and others with medical issues in a "Facility". You go to Church, You go to the Store for Groceries (else you starve) you go here and there.. So at most you are 23x7 on average,,,, if that.

John From Detroit said:
You know, I know of nobody who lives in a ____ 24x7 save for some seniors and others with medical issues in a "Facility". You go to Church, You go to the Store for Groceries (else you starve) you go here and there.. So at most you are 23x7 on average,,,, if that.

John, when you go to the grocery store and someone asks you where you live do you tell them, "Right here."?  ::) ;D

NY_Dutch said:
John, when you go to the grocery store and someone asks you where you live do you tell them, "Right here."?  ::) ;D
I spent ten years full timing living in National Parks. Many times I would meet someone who would ask me where I live and I would always answer "Right here." Then I would explain that I live full time in the National Parks.
Everyone was jealous.

SeilerBird said:
I spent ten years full timing living in National Parks. Many times I would meet someone who would ask me where I live and I would always answer "Right here." Then I would explain that I live full time in the National Parks.
Everyone was jealous.

I agree, it's a wonderful way to live......except our government regards living this way as illegal.
You have play these deceptive mailbox games so it appears you have a real sticks and bricks mailing address.

TonyDtorch said:
I agree, it's a wonderful way to live......except our government regards living this way as illegal.  You have play games so it appears you have a permanent mailing address.

Does our government consider living full time in a national park illegal? Or living full time in an RV illegal... Other than some local municipal ordinances, I'm not aware of any federal law that prohibits living in an RV full time.

NY_Dutch said:
Does our government consider living full time in a national park illegal? Or living full time in an RV illegal... Other than some local municipal ordinances, I'm not aware of any federal law that prohibits living in an RV full time.

so where are they going to send your next IRS notice to ?......a National Park ? :)

I think our government is getting very concerned with the growing number of fulltiming rv people.

there are some shocking new statistics being collected by our government and films of this are shown on youtube as "The Homeless in America"... ( it's kinda scary)

TonyDtorch said:
so where are they going to send your tax notice to ?......a National Park ?
That has nothing to do with "legality". If the national park office accepts mail for it's campers as some private RV parks do, then yes, it could be sent there. My tax notices go to my mail forwarding service, even though I do have a small base cottage with its own address if I chose to use it. Using a mail forwarding service is a convenience, not a "game" we're playing. Fulltime RV'ers that declare a domicile in a given state and use a mail forwarding service there are not trying to fool anyone, they're just living their preferred life style and enjoying one of the many freedoms this country affords us, the freedom to travel as we wish.

try telling the IRS that you no longer have a permanent mailing address.....and see what they say.

and you are supposed pay state taxes where you live.....not where your mailbox is.

The proposed rule only says that HUD will not classify RVs as full-time homes.  See this item in Snopes:  http://www.snopes.com/hud-tiny-homes-ban/

HUD can't maintain enforcement of all the slum lords renting to low income families forced to live in rat & cockroach infested dwellings without proper plumbing, heat & electrical. When I was a kid I lived in HUD subsidized housing and the apartments were in worse condition than any RV i've owned. If their not subsidizing my RV payments or my lot rent there's bigger fish they should be frying!

TonyDtorch said:
try telling the IRS that you no longer have a permanent mailing address.....and see what they say.

and you are supposed pay state taxes where you live.....not where your mailbox is.
But I do have a permanent mailing address, at least one as "permanent" as anyone else that may decide to relocate at any time. Haven't you ever moved to a new residence? And the IRS actually does make provisions for transients such as "street people" that really do have no regular address.

State income taxes, for those states that have them, are typically paid to the state where you are paid, regardless of where your mail box happens to be. For many years I worked for a MA company while based out of my home in NY. My state income taxes were paid to NY even though I worked all over North America, because that's where I was domiciled and paid. If I had established TX as my domicile in that situation, I would not have paid any state income tax. As it is, I no longer pay any income taxes, but your place of domicile and current residence do not have to be the same...

it's all about the loopholes ..........

Texas makes up the difference with relatively high property taxes.....in a way, that is more fair to low income families.

it's sad to think in America, it's considered "Normal" to buy a fake mailbox address in South Dakota because they have the lowest taxes and vehicle registration fees .....

( I'll bet S.D. greatest tax revenue comes from the mailbox sales tax. :) )

our whole tax system needs an overhaul....how about a flat tax for both me and Bill Gates......oh, yeah....  then a bunch of attorneys, CPAs and tax (loophole) advisers will also be out of work...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anewvisionllc
Back
Top Bottom