Illinois Newbie Checking In

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MXMagnum

Hi everyone, newbie from Illinois checking in.  Been campers for several years, starting like most with a tent before moving up to a 1980 Apachee Royal pop-up, then into a 28' KZ Jag last year.

We have had several fun trips locally in Illinois, as well as out west to South Dakota in 2011 and then to Yellowstone this summer.  Thinking about possibly Canada next summer - Ontario or Manitoba - somewhere within a reasonable drive from Northern Illinois.  Any suggestions or reccomendations will be appreciated.

Welcome to the RV forum.

What type of campground do you like - resort with full hookups or at the other end a state or local park with no hookup (more of a "camping" experience).

What are your interests when traveling?

ken

Hi and welcome. I am an Illinois native, born and raised in Elgin. Left there in 59. Currently I have been a full timer for 9 years and loving it. ;D

There are six great National Parks in the Canadian Rockies that are in a bunch. I have yet to go there, it is on my bucket list. But everyone I talk to that has been there raves about them. Most claim Banff is as beautiful as Yosemite, which I think is the most beautiful place on Earth.

Welcome MX,

We are from Rockford. Almost as far north you can get in Illinois. We really like this forum. Lots of great information about almost anything. We are 103 days away from full retirement (who's counting!) and are looking forward to working on the bucket list. We leave in a week and a half for a trip to Moab, UT and the Arches National Park and Canyonlands National Park, and maybe to the Grand Canyon, we'll have to see.

I hope you enjoy the traveling as much as we do. Good luck.

Stan

Our favorite camping spot (considering it's only 3-5 hours from most places in IL) is Covert Beach and Campground in Covert, MI.  www.covertpark.com ... the website photos don't do it justice.  It's really a great little place with amazing scenery (compared to the usual fields of corn and soybeans), and Michigan has a lot of touristy stuff to do along Lake Michigan if you're into that sort of thing.

Hi MX. A newbie here myself. Don't care to start another thread, so, hijacking yours to introduce myself here. I'm from the Chicago area, but soon I will no longer be an Illinoisan. I rented a Class C RV from Cruise America in May, and now ready to become a fulltimer.

I've read the forum the past 4 nights on all kinds of topics, trying to take in as much as I can. I think my biggest fear right now is that since I'm solo and am not handy at all, I'll need to start learning. Crossing my fingers that nothing big happens on my first month or two while I self-train.

Getting a used Class C 2004 Four Winds Fun Mover in the next 2 weeks or so, then off to the road I go.

jagnweiner said:
MX-

I'd be interested in hearing some of your favorite IL spots. I live in NW IL and am a newbie.

Jagnweiner - Some of the places we prefer to stay in Illinois include: 

1.  Clinton Lake - state park with many sites, but only a limited few are full hookups
2.  Lake Shelbyville - another state facility. 
3.  Hickory Hollow in Utica, IL.  This is close to home, an easy weekend trip and have Starved Rock and Mathieson State Park close by. 

Always looking for new spots in Northern or North Western Illinois.  We like hiking, biking and visiting museums and historical sites.  Pet friendly campgrounds are a big plus as our Chocolate Lab enjoys RV'ing as well.

MX,

Two sites we like come to mind.

We just spent a weekend at Double J RV Resort in Chatham, IL (Springfield) which has easy access to all of the Lincoln historical sites. There are new owners there and they have made many improvement.

Also, we like to go to the Rustic Barn Campground in Kieler, WI which has easy access to Galena, IL and its only an hour from the Field of Dreams in Iowa.

We've been to Hickory Hollow in Utica as well. Nice place to stay while going to Starved Rock State Park. Duffy's Pub in downtown (?) Utica is a nice place to eat as well.

Stan

Lake Shelbyville was mentioned, and they have several campgrounds around the lake... some IL state parks, some US Army Corps of Engineer parks (notoriously nice).

We've stayed at Starved Rock as well, and enjoyed a Utica 50's style drive-in that they have.  It's called "The Root Beer Stand" if I remember right.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ladygadget
Back
Top Bottom