I'm New !!! Roof repair/replace

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Yankee Doodle

Hello everyone.... I'm new and just wanted to say Hi. I'm repairing about 12-15 ft of roof in the rear where it was rotted out. I've taken pictures from the start. I started on this project Friday night 5-25-12 and was able to tear everything out and install all new wood/ceiling and roof. I should have everything done by Monday???? I have to prime tape the seams and then the Liquid Roof. It's been a lot of work and doing this by myself has taken everything out of me. Mostly in this Alabama heat!!!! I've come from Mich over a year ago and NO one mention the Heat and Humidity.... wooooooooo baby is it HOT!!!. I'm not sure if I can even post pictures since I'm new ??
But if I can I'll post them so everyone can see what it took to do this project I will.
ok I guess I can post pictures hope you enjoy I'll try answer any question. I have lots of pic's I just lump them together so you have an idea.
I think I can get this done in 10 on monday.. I will post the finish product when I'm done!
Thanks,

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    39 KB · Views: 59
  • photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    45.8 KB · Views: 54
  • photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    42 KB · Views: 49
  • photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    28.3 KB · Views: 49
  • photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    38 KB · Views: 49
  • photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    39.8 KB · Views: 47
  • photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    24.6 KB · Views: 53
  • photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    16.6 KB · Views: 44
  • photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    28.7 KB · Views: 51
  • photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    30.7 KB · Views: 46
  • photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    27.6 KB · Views: 46
  • photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    32.6 KB · Views: 49
Looks like you are doing a great job. Thanks for the detailed photos - should help others who may be contemplating doing this by themselves.

By the way, welcome to the RV Forum!

Welcome to The RV Forum.

You will fit in well here.  Obviously you are skilled and knowledgeable regarding such projects.  I'm sure others will have questions for you in the future.

Welcome aboard!

Thank you gentlemen!
I have never done this before put being a Service Manager for a trailer repair I figured I could do it. Let me tell you, it was a lot of work during this project by yourself. If i ever do this again I will get HELP.
Well everyone I was able to finish this roof today. It took me 10 hours, just as I thought it would. I learned so many things with this roof the do's and dont's. I'm really happy on how it turned out. If anyone would dare to take on something this big for the first time.... Make sure you get help.... I can't tell you how much another set of hands and brains will be very very helpful. I was putting the inside to gether and it felt I was playing twister. Had my arms,legs,and hands on in different directions! but I was able to accomplish putting the panels back in.  Here is how it broke down in time.
5-25-12 ...4.5 hrs
Sat 12.5 hrs minus 2.5 for chasing parts and supplies.
Sunday 11.50 hr minus 1.5 hours chasing for supplies that i shouldv'e just bought more of on Sat when I was there!
And Today 5-28-12 10 hrs minus 1 hour because wife came and seen me!! ;) So I put about 33.5 to 35 hr into this project this weekend! Here is the finish product. Thanks everyone.  I have tons of pictures just giving you and idea .

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    29 KB · Views: 46
  • photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    30.7 KB · Views: 41
  • photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    26.8 KB · Views: 37
  • photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    28.3 KB · Views: 37
  • photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    24.9 KB · Views: 36
  • photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    24.4 KB · Views: 45
What a job!  My husband and I have done a lot of work on TT's and motorhomes so I know what you are saying.  How you did it alone,well I'm amazed.

It looks so good, and of course you saved a small fortune.  Hope you get to enjoy it soon, great pictures and outstanding job.

I have built a few enclosed racecar trailers in my day, but you are a braver man than me replacing a m/h roof. Great job.  :)

So, you're using the liquid roof in place of a roofing membrane, is that right?

I'm nearing completion of a complete re-roof on my (old) 32' Terry 5th wheel. I've used Tech-shield OSB with the pre-applied radiant barrier for the new decking, and had to remove/replace some other rot here and there. I'm using white .045" Firestone TPO membrane for the roof. I have the added luxury of doing this outdoors in Dallas, in the summer, with not a bit of shade. I'm probably lucky to still be alive.

Fortunately, the previous owner had no idea what "maintenance" meant, else I never would have been able to enjoy this lovely experience.

Pikachu_DFW
Yes, that is correct. I took it to a big local dealer and they looked at it before and after and they were amazed that i was able to do what i did. They even ask if I wanted a job. they said it would cost me well over $3800.00 because of work that was involved to repair it. I did this for around $600.00
This week we had a huge rain storm come though the area for two days. The roof held up and NO LEAKS!
When you put the Liquid rubber on and when it dries, it's about 20mm-22mm thick. which is about 3/16-1/4 inch i believe.  On my MH I say it's closer to 3/16 of inch in the back. I put it on heavy and it's very thick to apply. It's almost as though you were gluing a rubber roof on. I do believe you have to glue the rubber down, right?
I've been driving it around just to see how it's holding up and so far no cracks, tears, or anything. I figured if you have to glue a rubber roof down than using the liquid rubber would no different.
The dealer said they didn't see a problem doing what I did. they gave me a A for the project.
The Liquid Rubber is some outstanding stuff! I'm really pleased by it so far.
I'm not sure if you've heard anything negative about doing what I did or not? If it fails, I will be the first to let everyone know so they won't make the same mistake.
Personally, I believe it will be okay.
Thanks,
I wish you well on your project and keep me posted too.

We  have a 92 American Eagle we are updating and bringing up to speed.  We too used Liquid Rubber roofing material.  Ours was alligatored, I don't think it had ever been recoated except for gobs of gunk around and on the skylights, but likely was kept under cover a lot too.  Since ours was an alpha roof we had to use the proflex primer.  But I think this is a good system, ours has been done only a few months.  I've washed it down once so far.  It looks like the rubber and primer have bonded with the previous material it doesn't really look like a coating per se. The instructions said a thick coat was much better then 2, it would adhere better. Time will tell but like you so far we are pretty happy with it.  The proof, of course, will be the test of time.

PatrioticStabilist

Thanks for the input! Just so everyone knows, this is a EPDM liquid Rubber Roof. Like I said earlier, this rubber moves with the unit as would the rubber membrane and it's a lot thicker when it dries. I had to use a oil base primer on the wood before I laid the liquid roof down. Any other thoughts or idea's is greatly appreciated.

Yankee Doodle,
  Great Job! Very impressive results. I bought a used 04 Keystone with a small soft spot in the roof at the left front corner caused by a leaking trim piece. Thankfully I found no interior damage, it was caught just in time. I don't think anybody had ever worked on the roof at all, actually I am very pleased with it's condition considering the neglect. I was able to roll the rubber roof back using a heat gun and a lot of tedious work. The sheeting was USB wood and the "flakes" were so frustrating to clean from the rubber, finally I was able to get it clean and reinstall a full sheet of wood. This replaced everything well beyond the damage. Then I used a commercial contact cement and rolled the rubber back down, pressing it with a small hand roller and a lot of effort, it has laid down smooth and very nice. I thought I was doing something until I saw your project, now my effort seems a bit trivial.  ;)

I used to take on big projects but these days I seem more interested in drinking big beers. My whole point to this was I am impressed and I hope that just made you a ton of $ equity in that coach. You deserve it!

Hi  Movin On!
Thanks for the input..... What happen was, I bought this MH from a Dealer here in AL. After I signed the papers... Than... they told me about the title being salvage. I almost went "Yankee Doodle" on him hense the Name..!!! I wanted to  jumped over that desk and chock this lying cheat of a salesman and his clones!!!
Well, after I settled down they said that they could get a the title to say rebuilt after they have it inspected again. Which they did do and I received my title that says rebuilt on it. I bought it at the end of Feb 2012 and my wife and I just could'nt enjoy this thing until I repaired it right! She (my wife was very dissapointed with this thing and with them and me.) believe me, I did'nt hear the last of it from the wife! lol. Now, after it's fixed we just love it! It has only 51,000 miles on it and it runs soooo good. Everything works great in it, so besides the roof being bad and that's fixed Right... We will enjoy this together! Lesson learned..... I was a first time buyer and on my next puchase I will do my homework and check the next one out right! Question???? When I go to replace this MH a having a rebuilt title how bad will it hurt???? I mean, will it not sell because of it? I fixed what caused it to get a rebuilt title... Just wondering.
Thank you so much for all the great words posted here!

I suspect you could have easily walked away from it had you wanted to do so. First, in most states, they are required to disclose that a title is "salvage" before selling it to you. It's possible they shoved a piece of paper in front of you during the dog and pony show in the F&I office for you to sign saying you're aware of the title's salvage status. Second, you typically don't own a vehicle until you've taken delivery, and removed it from the seller's lot, irrespective of what you've signed.

Now that it's in the past, as long as you're happy with it and feel you got a good deal even though it took a bit of labor on your part, that's what really matters.

Yup,
You hit her right on the head. My bad for not paying attention and they got me on the "pony" show..LOL
It's 1996 four winds 5000 33 ft . It looks just like a Hurrican and we are happy, after what I did to it. I did get a good price on it as well. So, all in all  I'm happy and so is Wife! ;D  I learned how to repair them and buy them on this deal!  :)
Thanks again,

Yankee Doodle said:
When I go to replace this MH a having a rebuilt title how bad will it hurt???? I mean, will it not sell because of it? I fixed what caused it to get a rebuilt title... Just wondering.

I know many states handle "salvage" or "rebuilt" titles differently. I have never had a rebuilt trailer title but I have rebuilt several cars and a motorcycle in Missouri. I have never had an issue with owning a rebuilt vehicle if I closely inspected the work and have documentation or the original damage or if I did the work myself. If done correctly many repairs are equal to new condition. There are a few exceptions of certain vehicles with certain damage that I have stayed away from completely. For me I would buy them at a very good price and expect to use most of the equity out of them before selling, then of course disclose the damage usually with pictures of original damage and the repair process and take a cheaper price than most similar vehicles would be. There is always someone looking for the best deal they can find on any type of vehicle and if you can ease their fears of the repair I have never had a problem selling my vehicles. Keep these pictures and when you sell, the buyer will see the quality of the repair. I for one would not be scared of your repair if I was getting a great deal on the RV.

Wahoo! less than 24 hours before heading to the lake. It's gonna be a great weekend. Hope it is for everybody else here also.

Kip

Back
Top Bottom