I'm paranoid of fire

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If you ever get to a rally, such as an FMCA International Convention, where Mac the Fire Guy presents his seminar, it's the best source of fire fighting knowledge you'll find.  He not only describes the procedures, he has a hands on demonstration.  The hardest part of his seminar is remembering all that he teaches.

Tom, perhaps "Mac the Fire Guy" would give you permission to make a direct link to his website from the Library or Resources.

Ned, thanks for the reminder about Mac's site.

Tom, I could add a link (to Mac's site) in our Resources menu; That wouldn't need permission.

All,

Any one of us who have a Propane/Electric refrigerator in our MH might want to consider an automatic fire suppression system and, even MORE important, an automatic alarm system like is discussed in the following RV Forum thread.

http://www.rvforum.net/SMF_forum/index.php?topic=40919.0

If you think that you're interested read through the entire two page thread because there is some important info on the alarm system itself on page 2.  To us the automatic alarm system is the most important of the two.

JerryF

We now have a Fire Safety in an RV page linked under the Resources menu. The page includes a link to Mac's web site, but also allows us to add links to other resources such as Jerry's illustrated messages (coming soon).

[quote author=Molaker]Then maybe a "sticky" in "General" to guide folks to it???[/quote]

I must admit to not being fond of lots of stickies hogging our message indexes, although you'll see that I'm in the minority among forum staffers.

Tom,

Good idea.  There are lot's of other insights in the 2-page thread especially because of the additional info on the Smoke Detector horn on page 2.  Would it be possible to link it to this thread like I did in the above post.

http://www.rvforum.net/SMF_forum/index.php?topic=40919.0

JerryF

[quote author=JerArdra]Would it be possible to link it to this thread like I did in the above post.

http://www.rvforum.net/SMF_forum/index.php?topic=40919.0[/quote]

Hi Jerry,

Not sure what you're asking; I linked to that topic using an 'all messages' qualifier, which opens with all messages displayed on one page. If I use the topic=40919.0 link, it opens to the latest message read, and the messages are split between two pages. Did you want to link to only one page, or to a limited number of messages?

Tom, 

That sounds PERFECT...thank you.  By letting a person see both pages they get all the info plus some good insight from other RV Forum member comments.  If the 2-pages can be displayed as one long page that is okay too.

Thanks and best regards,
JerryF

Thanks for the clarification Jerry; I'm easily confused  :-[

Tom,

Is that fire extinguisher that Chris is using one of the foam ones that Mac is always saying are the best type to have around?

After attending his fire safety lecture three times, he sure convinced me about the need for them. I carry 4 on the motor home in various, easily accessible locations, one in the toad and have 5 of them around the house plus 2 of the large commercial halon units that you can't buy any more.

One of the things I regularly do is pressure wash the engine and make sure that there is not any oil spots anywhere around on it. If there is no free oil, the risk of engine fire is significantly reduced.

Here's a photo of an RV I happen to come upon one day. I bet he wished for a good fire extinguisher.

Attachments

• P0000491.jpg
    P0000491.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 13
[quote author=Chet18013]Is that fire extinguisher that Chris is using one of the foam ones that Mac is always saying are the best type to have around?[/quote]

Chet, I don't remember. The couple running the class always brought a mixture of different types to demonstrate the effectiveness or otherwise of each. Maybe one of our fire experts can tell from the picture.

One of the things I regularly do is pressure wash the engine and make sure that there is not any oil spots anywhere around on it.

That's something I keep telling myself I should do. Any precautions to take? Obviously, our diesels don't have a distributor to get wet.

Tom said:
Chet, I don't remember. The couple running the class always brought a mixture of different types to demonstrate the effectiveness or otherwise of each. Maybe one of our fire experts can tell from the picture.
Tom, here's another link that you might include on the fire safety page.  http://www.fire-extinguisher101.com/index.html

As for the extinguisher Chris is using, it appears to be either a multi-purpose powder (mono ammonium phosphate), a standard powder (sodium bicarbonate) or it could be a Purple K (however, dry Purple K is expensive and probably not used for hands-on training).  It does not appear to be either of the foaming types.

Thanks Tom, I'll get it added it's done.

Yes, the couple included multi-purpose powder in their demos, and the on-board hand-held units are usually ABC.

Tom said:
That's something I keep telling myself I should do. Any precautions to take? Obviously, our diesels don't have a distributor to get wet.

I just wash away. I avoid prolonged contact of the water with anything electrical, otherwise no problems. After all, rain can get all over, especially if is a front mount engine.

Back
Top Bottom