Importance of 4x4 for camping and towing with a 5er???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I had a 79 IH scout and and 89 Ford Bronco which had manual locking hubs.  You locked them by rotating a bar on each of the front wheels. This immediately engaged the front wheels in either forward or reverse if the floor shift lever was also engaged.  If the floor lever was not engaged in four wheel drive mode, all the front wheel drive mechanism rotated as the vehicle moved and it would be possible to shift into 4wheel drive on the fly. If the manual hubs were not engaged, I would have to stop and lock them in.  I believe this is what Carl was referring to. 

I don't know how all of the newer 4-wheel drive vehicles function.  My 99 GMC with electric push button 4-wheel drive could be shifted on the fly also(4-hi only) but I believe it required some forward or aft motion to fully engage.  My 05 Dodge is similar although it has a floor shift lever.

Jake

GaryB said:
Hi Carl and All - by "manual locking hubs", do you mean the type where the shift lever is on the floor as opposed to a switch on the dashboard?  I believe I saw these manual hubs referred to somewhere else as "fully unlocking hubs", "lockout hubs" or "free spin hubs".  It was said that this type of 4x4 will provide the same mpg as a 4x2 since the front drive train won't always be spinning.  Is this true?  If so, if I choose the 4x4, then do I just order it without the "electronic shift on fly" option (which, without that option, will give me the "manual" hubs)?

There are a number of combinations with part-time 4WD.  All permit locking and unlocking of the front wheels.  Locking them permits the drive train to turn them.  Unlocking them allows them to spin free just as on a 2WD vehicle.  The wheels can be locked either of two means.  One is manually by means of turning a latch located on each hub.  The other is automatically by means of a internal mechanism that is activated by shifting to 4WD and rolling ahead or back about 10-20 feet to engage, or shifting to 2WD and rolling in the opposite direction to disengage.  Obviously the automatic must be engaged before you get stuck.  Manual hubs can be engaged or disengaged simply by stepping out of the vehicle, turning each latch and getting back in.  An advantage when you are in deep.  Manual hubs are also more robust and are recommended for vehicles involved in heavy duty gunk as in construction sites. 

Part-time 4WD is engaged and disengaged by a transfer case between the transmission and the front differential.  It is shifted by two methods.  One is manual, by means of a transfer-case shift lever on the floor of the vehicle.  The lever will have 4 positions:  2WD, Neutral, Hi 4WD, and Lo 4WD.  The low range 4wd provides a stump pulling gear ratio for off road work.  The high range 4wd provides a normal gear range for on road slippery stuff.  (Part-time 4WD should not be ever engaged on dry pavement.)  The neutral position disengages both the front and rear axles from the transmission, allowing them to turn free.  This is great for the truck being towed, but is otherwise a feature that should be used cautiously -- your truck can easily roll away if the parking brakes are not set.

The automatic transfer case shift is done electronically, by means of buttons on the dash panel.  The can be engaged on the fly as advertised. There are 3 settings:  2wd, hi 4wd, and lo 4wd.  There is usually no neutral position.  These vehicles can be towed only in 2wd.  No so good for toads.

l

Thanks all, for the great advice!

Judway mentioned that 4x4 will increase the turning radius.  Is this true of all 4x4's, or just the ones with auto locking hubs?

For a given model, am I correct that mpg will be the same with all PART TIME 4x4 configuration (i.e., manual or auto locking hubs), or will the manual hubs give me an advantage in mpg?

Thanks
Gary

Judway mentioned that 4x4 will increase the turning radius.  Is this true of all 4x4's, or just the ones with auto locking hubs?

Darned if I know.  My Bronc did not come in 2wd.  Moreover, the Bronc will squirm around on a dime -- 105" wheel base.

For a given model, am I correct that mpg will be the same with all PART TIME 4x4 configuration (i.e., manual or auto locking hubs), or will the manual hubs give me an advantage in mpg?

If there is a diffence, it is measured in ounces per mile.

GaryB said:
Judway mentioned that 4x4 will increase the turning radius. Is this true of all 4x4's, or just the ones with auto locking hubs?

I don't believe that its true for all 4X4s have increased turning radius.  My Dodge Ram 4x4 turns very short.  You don't want to make short turns with the 4-wheel drive engaged on dry ground or pavement because of the drive train being locked up and you would have a significant difference in turning radius on right side versus left side.  If you did, some of the tires would have to slide over the dry surface, putting huge loads on the tires, wheels and drive train components. Off-road, I use 2-wheel drive if it dry and only shift into 4-wheel drive if is muddy, very wet or on loose sand/gravel.  If the turning radius is a concern to you, the best thing is to go test drive the vehicle of your choice in both versions.

Jake

I saw the following passage on another forum regarding 4x4 Ford trucks.? If it is true, then does this mean that I would have the "best of both worlds"?? In other words, both the capability of manual locking hubs and the convenience of auto lock hubs?

The hubs on my last three 4X4 Fords (a 99 F-250, an 02 F-250 and an 05 F-350) have all been two-position hubs. One position is "AUTOMATIC" and the other is "LOCKED".? All had "Electronic Shift On the Fly".? The "LOCKED" position is just like having manually locking hubs. You actually get out and turn them in to lock them and they stay locked until you turn them back.? In the "AUTOMATIC" position, they engage (by vacuum I believe) when you shift into 4WD and disengage when you shift back to 2WD.

It is a fact that you don't have to roll forward or backward on late model Ford trucks to engage or disengage four wheel drive "shift on the fly". You do need to stop and go through a set procedure to shift in and out of low range.

I have a 4x4 06  CTD 3500 the reason is that in Montana I would have to order a  2 wheel drive,and, my trade would be zilch unless I took it south to trade

I've had 2 Broncos and 2 Expeditions. The last Expedition is an 04. I'm not sure you can get manual hubs anymore, at least on the smaller vehicles. The only hub failure was an Auto hub on a Bronco. I replaced it with a manual hub because a Ford Auto hub cost way too much. My first Expedition had 130K mi on it with the original hubs still working OK. The 04 also has A4WD on the knob which lets you still travel at highway speeds, as they recommend a reduced speed in 4WD. It turns the 4WD on automatically when needed. Very handy when you are not sure of the road conditions. Most of the time if you need 4WD it's a bit late to turn it on or you are where it's not a good idea to stop. I think it uses the ABS sensors to check for a slipping wheel.

Now could I live without it, sure. But we live in Michigan out in the country on the south east side of a lake. Most of the storms and wind come from the northwest, so it blows all the snow in my driveway. Usually if I can get a 1/2 mi I can get to plowed roads. Also I've gone into the mountains in Wyoming to go gold panning where you couldn't get without 4WD. That's really a lot of fun and you get to see country a lot of people don't get to see. We can't leave for Fla. till mid Feb. so you never know what you'll run into on the way. The A4WD lets you keep going when you would probably stop without it. It's also handy on wet grass, mud etc. to get to good roads. Most of the time it's only needed to get a few miles over a mountain pass, or on and off a main road during a storm.

I have always owned a 4wd. I have NEVER towed in 4 wd, but since I am a hunter, I use the 4X4 feature almost every day AFTER gettting to camp. I have to trade off mileage to have the 4 wheel option, but I've always had it. My final arbiter is: why have all the disadvantages of a truck, and none of the advatntages of 4 wheel drive. Might as well buy a big Cadillac like the old guys in the 50's.

Back
Top Bottom