Importing an RV into the UK

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
jackiemac said:
Jings!!  I would have thought the UK had stuff set up as well as the US, but then again, what am I thinking!  LOL.

Indeed. Remember the American RV sized vehicle in the UK is a rarity and so not greatly catered for. Legally our maximum length is 12m, 12ft 4ins. The norm is a Eurovan or a simple caravan which are relatively small, by comparison, and have a cassette type toilet and a small grey tank. To empty the grey tank they just drive to the dump or again tote it. This is a tiny island, by comparison to the USA, just the England bit will fit into California several times. To drive around in an RV takes planning and a good use of Google Maps and Street View to see what you are likely to come up against. On a campsite you become an oddity and a tourist attraction and get used to people taking photographs, even when you are sitting outside.  :eek:      Our days of the UK being a big player in the world are really gone to be honest.  ::)

All this is why my earlier link to RVhere is a must. 

Almost all pitches will have 240v electrical connection, with various capacities up to 16A.

Hi Mike, just curious if 16A is common or something new. I recall prior UK-based forum member Paul Chatwin (aka UK-RV) talking about 8A, which I (maybe mistakenly) assumed was the norm &/or max.

Tom said:
Hi Mike, just curious if 16A is common or something new. I recall prior UK-based forum member Paul Chatwin (aka UK-RV) talking about 8A, which I (maybe mistakenly) assumed was the norm &/or max.

Indeed Tom, I hope you and your wandering Welsh family are well.  8)

16A now is much more common. Capacities start at 5A mainly in a tenting field and then 10A often found on private sites, but on the Caravan Club also the Caravan & Camping Club it is all 16A. Many private sites are also converting because all types of units now demand more power. If you look at any site listed on my RVhere link the power available and the maximum size of RV etc is listed on each site page in the bottom left hand corner. Only having 10A with an American RV requires serious power management but we get by because the little private sites are often in the prettiest of places.. Never seen an 8A site, that was before my time as I am a mere slip of a lad.

Thanks Mike. Things sure have changed since my parents dragged their caravan around the UK in the 60's & 70's. For their rallies, the SW Caravan Club used to rent a field from a farmer, no hookups, and maybe a communal water tap. The farmer would dig a large hole in the corner of the field with his JCB (aka back hoe). Folks would dump their potties at the end of the rally, and the farmer would fill it in  :eek:

Tom said:
Thanks Mike. Things sure have changed since my parents dragged their caravan around the UK in the 60's & 70's. For their rallies, the SW Caravan Club used to rent a field from a farmer, no hookups, and maybe a communal water tap. The farmer would dig a large hole in the corner of the field with his JCB (aka back hoe). Folks would dump their potties at the end of the rally, and the farmer would fill it in  :eek:

As did mine Tom. Gas mantle lights and it was always Sunday lunchtime when the gas cylinder ran out and the farmer would charge an arm and a leg for a refill. My Dad, god love him, always had his full Sunday roast no matter where we were. Can you imagine doing that in a 60's type caravan, my Mum was a wonder worker, and it came with something like apple pie and custard for pud.  ;D

Aye Mike, I remember the gas mantles, and you had to carry a spare mantle just in case. I also recall when I built a small inverter to run a small fluorescent light from a car battery. My Dad was the first in his club to have one of those in his caravan  ;D

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Savysoaker
Back
Top Bottom