Importing RV from the USA into Canada

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Saskatooner

We are planning to import a RV from Michigan to Saskatchewan. The dealer plans to deliver the RV to the nearest border crossing so we don't have to pay Michigan sales tax. The plan is to cross the border, pay the GST and turn around and cross back into the US for the trip back to Saskatchewan (much shorter distance than staying in Canada for the trip home). I would appreciate any advice re the importation process. Also, does anyone know if I have to cross into Canada at the nearest border crossing from where I purchase the RV or can I just stay in the USA and cross into Canada nearer to Saskatchewan, probably the North Dakota border.

Thanks

Have a look here: http://www.riv.ca/importingavehicle.aspx

The one thing that bothers me about your plan is re-crossing the boarder to travel West through the USA. I am almost sure that would be problematic.  If your dealer installs temporary plates you should be able to travel to any boarder crossing you choose (provided they are equipped for handling the vehicle import, small ones may not be ). See the web site regarding the rules and notification to both the USA and Canada requirements!!

The dealer may be required to deliver out of state to avoid the sales tax etc but you can pick it up anywhere outside of Michigan. That might occasion a delivery fee from the dealer if too far away though.

I concur with Stu's suggestions.  If you can't take delivery in Michigan with temp plates, then have them deliver it out of state, that should give you a month to head home.  Don't forget that the US border service requires 3 days advance notice prior to exit.  So, you would need to pick a crossing, and have the paper work sent there.  we found the exit procedure to be merely a bureaucratic step, but it is necessary, particularly if you plan on ever re-entering the US with the coach.  Our son, who currently lives in Ontario has imported several cars & boats has always dealt with the paper work himself, but we used a licensed broker when we brought in the motohome, it cost us $300 Canadian, but they did it all on both sides of the border.  The entire process took less than an hour, exit and entry.

Ed

You don't mention the age of the Motorhome but because you said "dealer" I am guessing that it is newer then 15 years old. (they are exempt from RIV)
I followed most of the tips from this site (and it is a funny read)
http://people.ucalgary.ca/~schultz/bordercrossing.html

the biggest tip is once you fax the paper work (and put a copy in your binder) CALL the crossing you will be using. we did and found out that the week before their FAX number changed. I got the new number and fax off the paper work again waited an hour and called back to confirm it was there. to me this was the most important step. No paper work no crossing!

The process was so painless that on the USA side it took longer to park and walk into the building then it did to process the paper work. On the CDN side it took a bit longer because several of the border crossing people wanted to come out and just have a look inside (1977 GMC) as they had never seen one and were curious. one guy was younger then the Motorhome :)

Don't even think of having a gun or anything like that in the RV. Most don't but you don't want a very expensive lesson because you always carry one. No personal experience but have read stories of folks trying to get into Canada with one.  All bad. 

Bobtop46 said:
Don't even think of having a gun or anything like that in the RV. Most don't but you don't want a very expensive lesson because you always carry one. No personal experience but have read stories of folks trying to get into Canada with one.  All bad.
Bob it is a Canadian bringing an RV from the USA.....we normally don't take our guns to walmart with us :)
Just saying.

Just for clarification, I thought 3 days notice to the border crossing was only required for vehicles (trucks, cars etc) not a trailers (in my case 5th wheel)...is that right? Thx

I would CALL the canada border people for clarification. (the only way you will be sure) and I understood the 3 days was so they could check to see if it was stolen. applies to every imported Vehicle.

It is my understanding that it is the US border that requires the 3 days, so you had best check with them too.

Ed

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thumpercolt
Back
Top Bottom