In general, what do you think about using Emojis in posts here?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
From a paper I wrote years ago:

Did you know there were originally 3 emoticons in the early 90’s? They were issued at the keyboard. They were the original “primitive” net speak.

:) (Happy) :-( (Sad) ;-) (Sarcasm)

A Japanese Artist Shigetaka Kurita worked on the development team for Japan’s main mobile carrier created Emojis in 1999. He wanted a simple interface to convey information in a succinct way. If you’re curious and want to learn more, search on “i-mode DOCOMO” or “history of the Emoji”.

In my opinion, these were the beginning of brain drain. You do know Neanderthals (an extinct human species widely dispersed in ice age Europe about 100 million years ago) used abbreviated grunts, groans and pictures to tell stories and communicate right?

Words matter. They say a picture is worth a thousand words, but emojis do not. They’re dumb. They lead to a modern day “Tower of Babel” or even worse modern day Neanderthals. If you have to use Emojis, pick out 5 and stick only with them. Even better, use words instead. Whole words are important because if we forget how to speak them or to write them, we lose a common language. If we forget how to speak or to write, we lose intelligence, we become dumb.”

I’m not a fan of emoji’s, they’ve become too much. I’m a fan of using words and sentences.

And after posting, I saw this editor changed my primitive emoji, :)-)) (Happy) when I didn’t want it to. Infuriating.

Humm,
1711421782856.gif

Thank you, thank you very much.:ROFLMAO:

Wit and sarcasm is more or less my normal mode among friends and family members. They get it and accept it as just who I am.

But... have you ever had the pleasure (?) of trying to have a conversation with someone who no matter how obvious, just doesn't get it that you're KIDDING and you have to always be mindful of that?
I resemble that_.

Emojis are for those unable to express themselves in writing.
The ability to express oneself in writing is a skill. A skill typically developed either formally via one's educational path or perhaps having been raised in an environment where writing skills are nurtured.
Anyone can make a sour face, or pick one from a selection.
To properly convey one's feelings, one must choose a selection of words and construct a sentence which properly describes the emotion. Anything less is lazy and inadequate, and does a disservice to self and any potential audience.
So, you're on the road, checking your email on your phone during a quick stopover to gas up and a friend asks, "How's it going?" Your friend deserves a thoughtful, eloquent response which describes your current circumstances, your state of mind and your plans for the future? Might be simpler just to reply: (y) Do'in great!

Of course, I'm being, ah... well, sarcastic. The point being, no, this Internet universe is a whole different animal and speaking for myself, I don't see anything in the least wrong with embracing the commonly understood and accepted "tools" of this medium.

Just because someone is know a proficient writer, or chooses not to take what they compose on the Internet does not make them "lazy and inadequate. Far from it...

a friend asks, "How's it going?" Your friend deserves a thoughtful, eloquent response which describes your current circumstances, your state of mind and your plans for the future?
My friends all know I’m a booky nerd and they also know they’ll get a potentially eloquent response. Kids too. They also know they may wait a few hours or to the next day. They also know if they send emoji’s, I may ask them what it means, so I guess I’ve got them trained and they generally use words with me. I guess it’s the whole immediate gratification thing I protest these days…

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Savysoaker
Back
Top Bottom