In motion satellite dishes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Sounds good. I will look for a big box. Give me your zip code and I can ask our local shipping place what it will cost. He should be able to weigh it too. Thanks

After being exposed to HDTV for a couple of years if I were going to spend any money on sat receivers it would be one that receives HDTV.

On screens less than about 30", there isn't much difference between HD and SD visual quality. Most tvs in that size range are a max of 720 dpi anyway, and the smaller ones will be 480 dpi, which is SD quality.  But on a larger screem, the difference between SD and HD can be startling.

Jeff said:
After being exposed to HDTV for a couple of years if I were going to spend any money on sat receivers it would be one that receives HDTV.
Sorry Jeff, gotta respectfully disagree with this post. While I've been exposed to HDTV, we don't even have HD in our house, let alone spend extra money to have it in the RV.  More important for us was having SD, when we want it, where we want it, without spending anything extra.  We think SD is just great and now having the SD dome in the RV saves us from putting up the tripod, so reasonable $ spent on the SD used dome.  Guess saving money and having rudimentary TV counts for some.  Not trying to be contentious, just disagree! 

That 2 cents worth of advice is worth a milion bucks.  Nice post.

We have HD on all the tvs in the stick house, large or small, but only SD in the coach tvs, where the largest screen is 26". Can't say that we miss having HD while on the road.

Much depends upon what you like to watch.  We added a 32" 1080 Visio up front and a 22" Visio in the bedroom.  When the Super Bowl came on we switched to our OTA antenna and received much better HD than is available by any other source.  The rest of the time we watch SD satellite TV and we are very happy.  Food Network, Judge Judy, Vegas Strip, Two and 1/2 men or Survivor in HD is just not so much better as to make the $10/month fee worthwhile.  Even watching a bunch of cars driving 'round in circles doesn't do it for me be it SD or HD.  If you are a big sports nut you might enjoy the clarity of that little white ball flying through the sky, but I just can't see enough difference to make me get excited.

Bill:

It didn't take much arm twisting for several of us to get waivers on the Direct $10.00 HDTV fee.

That waiver is good for how long?  1 year?  2 years?  Never heard of anyone being promised that they won't have to pay for it eventually.

Hi,
HD is not at extra cost on Dish (I expect it will be the standard soon) and I'd have to disagree that a 32" doesn't benefit from HD. It does help for sports IMHO. In fact, we have HD in the MH and haven't been home since we got it. Probably will buy a new reciever for home when we get there.
Ernie

just had a eye opening experence with Trackstar.  I purchased a used 2004 Monaco 2 weeks ago and called Direct Tv to discuss getting tv - they scheduled me with a new receiver ect after me explaning I had a receiver already in the coach - anyway after waiting a week a tech showed up -- knew nothing -- didn't know why they sent him and a dead end.  Did some calling around and now told my system is a "Boat Anchor"  Would love some advice as to anybody in the South East to take it to to have some type closure as to how I can get TV with Direct TV in the Motor Home.  (PS - individual I purchased fom mis-led me with TV working)

After almost 20 years of RVing all across the US from San Diego to Bar Harbor & as far north as Jasper, BC, Canada, I have found a  TV solution that works well for my wife & I. We use our KVH RV1 in-motion dome to watch Directv in Standard Definition while driving and for short, overnight stops. When we spend more than a day, anywhere, I set up a tripod-mounted Directv SWiM dish to watch Directv HD for the duration of our stay. Using a Birdog satellite alignment tool, including the time required to drag out & assemble the tripod & dish, I can usually be watching Directv HD in less than 15 minutes.

We bring our 5-channel Directv Genie receiver/DVR from home, loaded with all of our most recent movies & programs, and install it in the RV. We can watch 2 separate programs using a second, non DVR Directv receiver, purchased on-line & permanently installed in the bedroom. We can record 5 programs and/or movies, ALL simultaneously, while we are out sightseeing, checking out local restaurants, visiting with our campground neighbors by the campfire, etc.

This solution provides the us with so many options! If we are camping in a wooded location where our in-motion dome's reception is blocked by trees or the weather is so bad outside that I don't want to bother with setting up the tripod-mounted dish, we can always watch a previously-recorded movie or other program from the DVR.

Best of all, the total cost for this solution, both outright & monthly, is very comparable, and in many cases, much less than what some of our RVing friends have spent for their equipment. Other than the $15 additional monthly Directv cost for their Distant Network package, allowing us to receive the 5 major networks from anywhere, we have no other monthly costs for using Directv in our RV!

Although I have made several changes over the years, the basic concept has remained unchanged.  I hope our solution offers some insight for those of you considering affordable options for their TV viewing choices. I would be more than happy to provide specific answers to anyone via PM.

Felix
1997 Monaco Windsor
1994 Toyota 4Runner
Motosat/RF Mogul F1/D3 Hughes HN7000S       

When we sold our old coach, I kept the Tailgater and receiver that we had.  The new to us coach had an in-motion dome installed with no receiver.  I changed the dip switches to the Dish network settings and use it with our receiver for the front TV.  Bought a 2nd receiver and use the Tailgater for the bedroom TV.
We like this setup, because if trees prevent the in-motion dish from getting a signal, we can carry the Tailgater out into the clear and just watch TV in the bedroom.  I can also hook the front TV to my computer though an HDMI cable and watch downloaded content.

Back
Top Bottom