in need of new tires

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jcross312

Hello everybody. Im just getting started in rv'ing and have realized that the class A I purchased has almost 10 year old tires on it. I believe one just developed a knot on it. So yes, I need new tires. The size on the tires is LT235/85R16. Then it has 10PR, im assuming thats 10 ply. So my question is how much can I expect to pay and what brands to look for or stay away from. I did a little searching and have seen this size on the internet for around$135-$160 each. Is that about right? Any advice appreciated. Thanks.

You will get a lot of opinions regarding tires. I like Michelins especially for heavy loads but they are priced on the high side. There are a lot of tires coming out of china and they tend to be priced very aggressively but I am not sure of the quality. My opinion is if your going to keep your rig long term then get high quality tires. The fmca tire program allows for a good deal in some cases on Michelins.
Rod

Any of the major brands will do fine as long as you get the right size and load range. 10PR means a 10 ply rating and a Load Range E is a 10 ply rating tire.

I would choose a brand that has numerous dealers in the area you will travel, just in case you have a problem and need warranty service.

$160 is the right ballpark for online pricing of a major brand, but that doesn't include shipping and of course no installation.  You probably won't find them that cheap in a local tire shop, but call around and compare pricing.

Some good brands include: Goodyear, Bridgestone, Firestone, Michelin, BF Goodrich, Toyo, Continental, Yokahoma, Hankook, Cooper.

On another forum the Hankook tires have had numerous people using them for several years and love them.

They are are aggressively priced.

I will be replacing mine with them (same size as yours). Hankook is South Korean.

I paid around $2,800 for 6 tires back in 2012.  They were Toyos and all I have heard has been great.  The ones I have are great.

I replaced All 6 on My bounder last year I called around and a trucking fleet service center had the best price.
They called around and when they called Me back they the  price was installed $3300. Michelins again in 7:30 out at 10:00 am.

jswalls110 said:
On another forum the Hankook tires have had numerous people using them for several years and love them.

They are are aggressively priced.

I will be replacing mine with them (same size as yours). Hankook is South Korean.

We had a set of Hankook's on our last MH, and they did very well. I wouldn't hesitate using them again.

The tire size stated (LT235/85R16 LR E) is very common and therefore usually typically competitively priced.  My class C uses this size and I have Coopers which have served well.  The only problem I have had with tires in about 50K miles was not the tires, it was valve stem and extension problems.  IIRC the last two tires I bought were about $130 ea. mounted and balanced in 2010.

Thanks for the replies. The first place I called today gave me what I believe a very good price. $905 for 6 mounted out the door. So glad mine arent 2 or 3 grand like ive been hearing others pay. Id probably be camping in my back yard if that was the case. I believe he said they were Kenda clubbers? Or something like that. I asked for the DOM and he said Dec of 13, so thats all good. Going in the morning to get them installed. Thanks again.

Kenda is a Chinese brand, with factories in China, Taiwan and Viet Nam. Not a small company, but hardly a fixture in the American tire market either.  I'm not one of those that automatically condemn Chinese made tires, but that origin would give me pause. If I could get  tires from a more reputable manufacturer with a solid US network for maybe $20-$30 more each, I would choose that option vs Kenda.

$ 900 out the door seems kinda low to me. I paid a little over $ 1,200 for my BF Goodrich AT Commercial tires from Discount.  If you go Michelin, you will be around $ 1,600.  Most Chinese tires are poorly manufactured and I would not trust them on my rig.

Just to make you feel better I'm shopping to replace my now 7 year old tires. 295/80R22.5. Identical tires that the factory put on, Goodyear G670's are $722. each plus mounting. FMCA special Michelin price is $653.04, plus mounting etc. I only need 8 of them............ $1200 for a set sounds really good.

Ken

well, I jumped at the Kenda tires before waiting to hear opinions about the brand. Maybe they will surprise us all. After just spending about $700 on rigging my car for towing, I'm trying to save money where I can. They actually look pretty dang good, and I did a search for Kenda Klever tire reviews and I've seen good reviews on them, at least from the people selling them....imagine that. Ha.

They certainly ride alot better than the 10 year old tires that were on there. They were no longer round I believe.

I don't know how Kenda's road tires are, but their offroad tires for four wheelers, lawn equipment, etc.  are pretty good and have a good reputation.

Chances are the Kendas will be fine, and I have no data that says they are poor quality. In general, though, Chinese brand tires have mediocre quality control and should you get a square one, the warranty service is usually "ship it back to the factory and we will let you know if there will be any adjustment". Local dealers generally have limited ability to do anything other than try to re-balance a poor performing tire.

I appreciate the input Gary, and i know well that certain brands are better in terms of quality and customer service than others. The shop that recommended them is a reputable business, so hopefully IF the need arises they will take care of me. Only time will tell. I guess if they last 30k miles i will be happy

For those of you wanting new 22.5's and are looking at Michelin's I just replaced a set of 6 in Feb, 255/80 22.5's,  and they had a new factory run in Mar so you should be able to get fairly new date codes. I also assume you are familiar with tire inspection and plan to run them around 8 yrs or so. If you're just looking to swap tires every 4 or 5 yrs then you might as well save some $ and do the Yokohama or Toyo's. IMO if it lasts over 30 days then just about anyone's casing will last 4 or 5 yrs.
Mine were $545 out the door, period. This is WA state just so you know, which includes a 9.4% sales tax above the normal FET, enviro fees etc. Discount is $499 ea, Counteract beads at $13 ea and install at $30 ea, total $3268 OTD.
Find a local shop that will do the install, I usually do Schwab but have used other smaller shops in the past also. I let them bid the tires but even if they are not competitive on the tires they still want the labor to install. (remember FL hub nut on drivers side is left handed thread.)
I always do the Counteract beads (less $ than Dyna), they really do make a diff. You will need 2 ea 8 oz bags for the front tires and 4 ea 10 oz bags for the rears, this includes the filtered valve stems and new caps. Pick them up ahead of time and hand them to the install shop when you drop off the tires and you are good to go. With me doing the legwork at the time it saved app $100/tire on the Michelin's. Good luck with your pricing.

Thanks Mavarick, that's about in line with FMCA pricing on that size if you figure $25 each for mounting. You didn't say if you did their program or not but the numbers match. It's hard to believe that it costs $160 more per tire to go from 255 to 295.

Did you find a good tire store to do the work? I'm thinking I might do mine on the way south again, stop in Portland or somewhere without sales tax. It is worth about $500 in sales tax to not buy then in WA. Since I drive less than 400 miles in WA state each year in my MH and I just wrote the check yesterday for WA state license tabs, ($407 regional transit authority(light rail projects), $3 RV disposal fee, $75 motor home weight based fee supports rail improvements(heavy rail), $3 filing fee, $30 license fee for road construction and maintenance, $.75 computer fee) $523.75 total for ONE YEAR registration, I'm still a little sore about taxes.

If anyone has a recommendation of a tire changing store in Portland I'd like to hear it.

Ken

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozrkbnd
Back
Top Bottom