In-tank fuel pumps

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tom

Administrator
We've seen numerous reports over the years of failure of the in-tank fuel pump used on earlier generation Ford motorhome chassis. Lacking any knowledge to the contrary, I assumed that this practice had been discontinued, until ...

Yesterday a neighbor stopped by and told me his Saturn had to be towed, and the tow truck driver let him know it looked like a fuel pump failure. He had it fixed at a local shop, and they'd had to drop the tank to get at the pump inside. The pump had almost disintegrated.

Are in-tank fuel pumps still common?

Yes in tank pumps are the norm on fuel injected engines. The quailty of the fuel pumps as well as the fuel has incresed the life of the pumps as well as the newer systems use a by pass to the systems to keep them from dead heading as the older ones would. One thing that helps no matter what year one has is to refuel when ever the tank is at half full as it is the fuel that cools the pumps and heat is a killer to these pumps.

I have replaced a few pumps in the tanks, the 1/2 tank  full of gas rule is a myth to the best of my knowledge as the pumps are in a bucket of gasoline and are never hanging out in space, even if the tank is bone dry,  at least all the pumps I have seen in  Ford and Chevy's. The pumps are in the tanks to keep them quite (and cooler I guess) as the high pressure pumps are noisy .

Yes in tank pumps are the norm on fuel injected engines.

Thanks.

One thing that helps no matter what year one has is to refuel when ever the tank is at half full as it is the fuel that cools the pumps and heat is a killer to these pumps.

That's what the shop told my neighbor after they took his $800 (actually, they said one quarter full).

My fiancee had a 2000 Blazer and it has the in tank fuel pump and she has had to have it replaced or repaired for faulty wiring several times.  Why do they design something you average DIY can't easily repair?  The answer, they want you to bring into the dealer for service.  They could easily make an access panel under the seat or trunk for access but nooooo.  I have had several BMW's and each has a removable cover to access the pump and wiring.  Simple repair. 

On this note and for future reference....

If you have a pickup truck.  Its much easier to remove about 6 bolts and raise the entire bed than to drop the tank.    ;)

This is when you ask yourself "where would I put an access panel. Had to fix door lock on DW's saturn, manual said to remover outer door skin and reglue after fix. Not buying into that....pulled off inside and made a panel...good fix.

Kurt63 said:
My fiancee had a 2000 Blazer and it has the in tank fuel pump and she has had to have it replaced or repaired for faulty wiring several times.  Why do they design something you average DIY can't easily repair?  The answer, they want you to bring into the dealer for service.  They could easily make an access panel under the seat or trunk for access but nooooo.  I have had several BMW's and each has a removable cover to access the pump and wiring.  Simple repair.

That is not accurate, car makers make cars to sell, not to fix. Almost nothing in a car is designed with repairing in mind, only the cost and speed to build more. Some cars do have access plates in the interior of the car usually under the back seat for fuel pump work, but I am sure that is for no other reason to keep warranty repair costs down.

Agree - the design (or lack of it) simply doesn't consider the coast of future maintenance because it is not a problem for the manufacturer once the warranty period is over. Nothing nefarious going on - the vehicle manufacturer doesn't make a nickel off future dealer repairs, so he isn't interested in doing things to enhance their business either.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TessInBandon
Back
Top Bottom