Installed household fridge

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rhalium

Hey Guys, I replaced an old Norcold N821 that wasnt working anymore with this fridge I bought from home depot: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Magic-Chef-9-9-cu-ft-Top-Freezer-Refrigerator-in-White-HVDR1040W/205429596

Thing is: when i pulled the old fridge out, there is some fiberglass insulation in the enclosed space where the fridge was and the new magic chef fridge is now.

I noticed that the magic chef fridge says it is supposed to be a free standing installation only and that it gets rid of heat on the outside.

so my question is should i remove the fiberglass insulation surrounding the new fridge to help give it some room to "breathe"? or leave it in or at the very least install a fan in the back to circulate air flow in this harsh desert heat?

I can post pictures if it will help give you a vision. thank you in advance!

I have a Magic Chef also in an enclosed space. Been there for 10 years and works fine. The top has maybe 3" for hot air to come out. 

The Magic Chef sheds its heat either underneath or via fins on the back and those need to have airflow, which normally comes under or around the fridge and circulates back into the interior of the room (RV). It does NOT require exterior (outside) venting like an RV fridge. In the normal installation you should leave room for air to flow underneath the fridge from the front and up the back and over the top to the front again. Don't seal the sides to the adjoining walls either.

The reason for the caveat from Magic Chef is to avoid any enclosure that might block air flow. Rather than get into complicated explanations, they just say "don't do it".

Since the fridge will now have air flow to/from the RV interior, make sure that any holes in the outer wall or roof are at least screened and preferably closed off to avoid heat/cold air from outside. 

Some people have redesigned the fridge airflow so that it exchanges its waste heat to the outside. That is usually practical only with fridges that have fins/tubing exposed on the back, but with enough effort and creativity I'm sure anything is possible. [From what  I see on the linked website, this fridge is not a rear-fin type.]

I have a 5 cubic foot chest freezer which does use the outside of the case for cooling , and does not have a finned "condenser"as would normally be present. Case  exterior does get warm and must be in open air. Could this fridge do the  same?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rubytuesday
Back
Top Bottom