Installing a New Electric Tongue Jack

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ihealthi

The tongue on our new TT will weigh 800lbs with empty tanks and nothing stowed......  so it will be heavy!  I want a new electric tongue jack as soon as possible.  I saw one at a Camping World a few months back, but didn't pay attention to installation intructions.  We saw from another thread that most brands are comprable and suggestions to buy the one that is heavier duty..... however the question is:

DH is pretty handy with mechanics, but it is this jack easy to assemble, or should we plan to make an appointment to have it installed at Camping World?  We will be in Middlebury Indiana and in the Kalamazoo area, then, Milwaukee Wisc for a few days.....  is there a less expensive source to pick one up rather than to find a Camping World (which has as store NW of Chicago)?

Thanks for any suggestions  :)

Good move, the electric jack is the greatest thing since the invention of sliced bread.

The installation is a bolt on job and a direct fused connection to the nearest battery.  The biggest problem would be setting up support of the tongue on a couple of jack stands for the removal and installation process.   In the event, being fundamentally lazy, I let CW do it.   I priced the job and found my sloth far exceeded my greed.    ;D

Just recently installed one my trailer.  Like Carl said it is easy.  Instead of jack stands,  I just hooked it up to my tow vehicle.
(My Tundra.).    Three bolts out,  the new  one in,  wire to to the Battery..

Have a great day
Jim

I agree with all that it's a very easy job, and even easier when you have your son and nephew do it, as I was fortunate enough to do. If you're going to buy from CW, I would recommend, if you have not already done so, to go to their website and look up the item you want to purchase and read the reviews.

I did exactly that and was really surprised at the negative reviews on their jacks, went online and done some more research and wound up buying an Atwood unit with great reviews at several sites.

Since I am "old-fashioned," I don't always think about using the computer to its fullest advantage, advantage to me that is. Case in point, I wanted a small refrig in SS for the camper, to sit outside under the awning. Target had an Emerson unit on sale, 3.9 cf, at $129.00; same unit at Lowe's but Frigerdaire, was priced at $189.00. I bought the Emerson, got one good trip out of it, one so-so trip and had to put it in shop to be recharged with freon. I then went to Target's site, read the reviews on this item and all were negative. Live n learn.

What they all said up there!  Very easy to do.  I hooked mine up to the TV as well when changing out.  Took about 30 minutes for the whole operation.  As far as cheaper then Camping World, almost anywhere is probably cheaper.  You can get them online via E-bay, I believe Amazon.com also has them, probably other camping outlets as well.  Another good place to check is PPL Motorhomes - http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/rv-jacks-stabilizers-leveling-1.htmPPL Motorhomes.  I know it says "Motorhomes", but they have a great parts "superstore".  That link above takes you directly to the jacks.

You can also try Craigs List.  Someone may be selling a "gently used", or even new ones.  Sometimes you get lucky there.

Good luck, and let us know how you fare!

Thanks!  We will look into Atwood also.  Now that we had some negative input regarding CW, we decided to hold off purchasing an elec jack until we get home mid-October and can spend more time online researching all the suggestions here on this thread  :)

We added a 3500# Barker to our trailer a week or so ago, easy as pie to install.  You can see the pics on our mod site (see sig).  We chose Barker due to their reputation for both quality and customer service should you ever need it.

RVRoadTrip said:
We added a 3500# Barker to our trailer a week or so ago, easy as pie to install.  You can see the pics on our mod site (see sig).  We chose Barker due to their reputation for both quality and customer service should you ever need it.

Saweeeeeet website!  Lots of neat ideas....  I really like those drips clips too!!!  They came with our TT and it really keeps the black streaks from appearing on the siding  :)

Back
Top Bottom