Installing a steering stabilizer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ron,

Yes, I know about the Howard steering stabilizer.  The major problem with it is that it is big bucks - somewhere around $2500-$3000 if I remember right.

Tom:

How much was the stabilizer and what did you specifically put it on to correct? Was your coach wandering or were you (or Chris) primarily interested in off-setting the wind?

Jeff

The Blue Ox TruCenter is currently on sale at PPL Motorhomes for around $685. That's also roughly what I paid at PPL at the time I bought mine. The bracket specifically for my coach was IIRC another $185 or so (I really can't recall how much it was, and they don't show the prices of brackets on their web site)..

I really put it on as belt and braces. Since correctly inflating the tires, the coach has tracked much better than when I forst took delivery. But it is still affected by high cross-winds and severaly rutted roads. I figure the cost of the TrueCenter and bracket is well worth the added insurance and, hopefully, the coach will require almost zero manual correction to drive in a straight line.

Nice photos, even the best extensions will break.  Though it usually leads to some interesting words when your knuckles hit the pavement.  Glad to see it all worked out, nothing like a good impact wrench!

The verdict is in, or at least the one that counts. After three days and 800 miles, the driver reports that the stabilizer is definitely an improvement. We've had lots of wind gusts that put the system to the test. However, we didn't have sustained cross winds that required re-centering.

kkolbus said:
Just curious - was the coach pulling to one side or the other before you put the stabilizer on i.e. p/s valve not centered?

Karl

No, it wasn't pulling to one side, but was susceptible to sideways forces such as wind &/or gusts, ruts in the road, etc.

Back
Top Bottom