Installing a wood burning stove in a 30 ft 5th wheel.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You're right Mikie, this is a great forum...I find so much information on it and very helpful people.

McCall is my favorite summer place.  We camp at Ponderosa State Park...LOVE it!  We'll be camping there this summer, plus a family wedding at Shore Lodge in July.

Thanks again for info!  M

We've never camped at McCall.  Are there hook-ups at any of the campgrounds?  I remember there was a really picturesque campground along the lake, not sure if it had any services.

Another vote for the Dimplex electric fireplace. My 5er came with one. Not as nice as a real fire but it will put out out the heat. It will keep the interior about 20 deg warmer than the exterior. You can control the speed of the flame and lighten or darker the flame. Not sure the model but it pulls 1875 watts on full throttle.

Just google Dimplex rv model electric fireplaces and they have several to choose from if you want to go that route. Just keep in mind if you have a 30amp system you may have to set you up a separate power supply.

We too enjoy a good wood fire, the difference is ours is in a 30" fire pit on our patio. Having one inside would give me the chills knowing that I only have about 20 seconds to get out if I managed to set the place on fire. I say 20 seconds because I almost lost a good friend a couple of months ago when his camper went up with him in it. He managed to get out in approximately 30 seconds and suffered first and second degree burns before he could get to the door. The fire destroyed his camper, his truck parked beside it and the office building that belonged to his employer.

If you want to install a wood burning fireplace inside your camper you are courting disaster. Not only that, you are virtually eliminating any hope of selling the rig in the future. Remember, if it burns after you sell it, somebodies heirs will hold you responsible.

Sorry to be so negative but I just think this is a VERY bad idea.

Joe,
The Dimplex one we are discussing now is not a real wood burning stove.  It's really nothing more than an electric heater that's made to look like a fireplace!  It's just for aesthetic value, AND it does throw out heat!  I love mine and can't imagine being with out it now....JMO

Mikie

4ducksrus said:
Joe,
The Dimplex one we are discussing now is not a real wood burning stove.  It's really nothing more than an electric heater that's made to look like a fireplace!  It's just for aesthetic value, AND it does throw out heat!  I love mine and can't imagine being with out it now....JMO

Mikie
These units are really neat.  I saw one at a friends house, I could not believe how real the flame actually looked through his!  I was also surprised at how reasonable the price was, it really had nice looking wood accent.

4ducksrus said:
We've never camped at McCall.  Are there hook-ups at any of the campgrounds?  I remember there was a really picturesque campground along the lake, not sure if it had any services.

Our favorite campground is Ponderosa State Park (I think this is the one your are thinking of)...just a couple miles from McCall and on Payette Lake.  There are three "loops"...Aspen Loop, Blackberry Loop and Chokecherry Loop.  These all have water and power, there are also pretty nice restrooms and showers.  But most of the sites are not made for really large RV's...branches hang a little low, some not good for slides, etc.  Our kids grew up camping in these loops.  The newest loop is Dogwood...it's called a "group camp", but it's for individuals also.  Dogwood has paved sites, water, power and sewer at each site and plenty of trees.  Also has very nice restrooms/showers.  It's made for the bigger rigs, but you'll see all size RV's in Dogwood.  This is where we've stayed for the past 3 years.  It's only a short walk to the beach.  They allow pets (on leashes) at all the loops.  Reservations can be booked 9 months ahead...which is what we do because we have about 6 RV's (all family) going and want to be able to chose which ones we want and get them together.  We've been going to Ponderosa for about 30 years.  Love it there!  Here's the website  http://parksandrecreation.idaho.gov/parks/ponderosa.aspx 

There are a few other campgrounds that we've looked at also.  There's one by the airport and on the river.  There's another one just south of town also.  I think if you Google campgrounds in McCall, ID...it will come up with a list.

I hope this info helps.  My brother said to tell you thanks for the fireplace insert info!  M

Peanutman said:
Another vote for the Dimplex electric fireplace. My 5er came with one. Not as nice as a real fire but it will put out out the heat. It will keep the interior about 20 deg warmer than the exterior. You can control the speed of the flame and lighten or darker the flame. Not sure the model but it pulls 1875 watts on full throttle.

Just google Dimplex rv model electric fireplaces and they have several to choose from if you want to go that route. Just keep in mind if you have a 30amp system you may have to set you up a separate power supply.

Thanks for your info...I will pass this along to my brother too!  He is having his son (an electrician) see what they need to do for wiring this weekend.  Don't want any wires overheating, etc.

M.

Foto-n-T said:
We too enjoy a good wood fire, the difference is ours is in a 30" fire pit on our patio. Having one inside would give me the chills knowing that I only have about 20 seconds to get out if I managed to set the place on fire. I say 20 seconds because I almost lost a good friend a couple of months ago when his camper went up with him in it. He managed to get out in approximately 30 seconds and suffered first and second degree burns before he could get to the door. The fire destroyed his camper, his truck parked beside it and the office building that belonged to his employer.

If you want to install a wood burning fireplace inside your camper you are courting disaster. Not only that, you are virtually eliminating any hope of selling the rig in the future. Remember, if it burns after you sell it, somebodies heirs will hold you responsible.

Sorry to be so negative but I just think this is a VERY bad idea.

AGREED!!  It's an accident waiting to happen!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anewvisionllc
Back
Top Bottom