Installing Blue ox base plate 2015 Colorado

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pojo

Received the base plate for my Colorado (Amazon) and read the instructions many times. Watched the video on E-trailer 3-4 times. Everything looked simple enough. Removed the front clip (all plastic) in less than an hour. A fairly easy chore, but nerve racking handling that very expensive piece of plastic from my 1 year old truck! Next step was trimming the air dam to make room for the base plate. Instructions give the exact measurements and where to cut. The video suggested using a razor knife to score a line and carefully cut the plastic. Everything went well except for a little corner tab that would not break loose. Finally got the razor knife in a position to cut this tab. When I applied pressure to the knife, it cut through the plastic and kind of slipped out of may hand and, PSSSSSSSST! AC condenser coil! :mad: Lost most of the freon and oil. Had to evacuate the shop until the air cleared. I felt sick, don't know if it was from the freon or the stupid thing I just did! Well, to make a very long story short, I had the condenser coil replaced, vacuumed down and evacuated for 2 hours to remove any contaminants, new pag oil and freon charge. Total cost of stupid mistake $332! :-[
The one step the video and printed instructions did not include, the plastic air dam could easily be remove with 3 push pins a 4 clips. If you decide to install a Blue Ox base plate on your Colorado, REMOVE THE AIR DAM PRIOR TO TRIMMING WITH WITH A RAZOR KNIFE! Other than that, the install was fairly easy, and is completely hidden.   

Wow pojo... That must have been discouraging. Sorry to hear that happened, but you're certainly not alone. I swear half the time I try to do something I cause some other problem. Oh well... It's RVing. :)

Kev

Sorry to hear about it but we all have had our DIY costly mistakes.  I feel so stupid when I do them but it goes away with time.

Back
Top Bottom