Installing bubble levels

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bobcl

Good morning everyone and Happy Easter.  Quick question.  Picked up our new RV last night and have it home now for lots of fun little projects to do. 

First question and it?s a quick one. I?m installing two bubble levels for leveling the rig.  Should all the slides, etc be in the out or in position before mounting the levels?

I always do mine with them in. If you need to pull the RV onto a couple of planks to get it level, you shouldn't move it with the slides out.
Go into your profile if you want to and create a signature of yourself telling us a little bit about you. It may help later on down the road when you have questions.

Since the slides will be in when you are backing into a site and getting level, I would attach them while in traveling configuration.

I've been here for awhile, but just bought our FW.  I asked the same question less than a month ago, and here is what they told me:

http://www.rvforum.net/SMF_forum/index.php/topic,112385.0.html

Park the camper.  Get it level with slides in.  Drop all stabilizers.  Verify it is still level.  Attach levels.

Let me give an alternative suggestion.  If your trailer has more slides or larger slides on one side than the other, the trailer's center of gravity will shift when the slides are out, increasing the downward pressure on that side.  My Arctic Fox trailer with a 12 ft. slide (sofa + dinette) would shift half a bubble side to side depending on whether the slide was in or out, even with the stablizing jacks extended.

Set up your trailer using the stabilizing jacks and wheel blocks if needed, then use a carpenter's level to see if there's any change in the level when the slides are in or out.  If there is a difference, set everything up so the trailer is level with the slides out, then pull them in and attach your bubbles so they indicate level even though the trailer is actually slightly off plumb.

Now you can pull into a campsite and set everything up using the bubble levels while the slides are still in.  When you extend the slides the trailer will wind up perfectly level.

What Lou said and, if you have an RV refrigerator (as opposed to a residential model which operates differently) it is the refrigerator that needs to be the most level.  We always use it as our guideline and then placing the level used when leveling at each new location.

ArdraF

If the stove, refrigerator, floor or counter tops in a new trailer are substantially off level with respect to each other (i.e. eggs slide to one side of the pan or a refrigerator bubble level moves beyond the center circle when the floor is level), I'd start yelling at the manufacturer and get it fixed under warranty.

My wife and I are pickier than our fridge when it comes to being level. I guarantee if we're happy, the fridge will be. I do like to level a hair high on the curb side so the bulk of the A/C condensate runs off the driver's side though. It doesn't take much to accomplish that.

Back
Top Bottom