installing fan in wall

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

turtleglass

I have a fun mover toy hauler thats a class c motorhome. I wanna install a fan in the wall of the garage area that Ive converted to a glass blowing shop. I wanna know if any one could offer any info of doin such a project or if I need to take it to a RV garage to have it done. Specificly cutting hole in wall and sealing the hole properly.  I included pic on set up  as you can see the fan is above me now and want to install it in wall right under cabinet directly infront of torch.  Please help me out :) I plan on leaving in this next week to hit he road for good. We (gf and I) will be living in this and traveling USA and creating glass art.  thanks

http://i740.photobucket.com/albums/xx48/turtleglass/GlassRoots/mobileshopmadison204.jpg

There is no standard construction for sidewalls, so it's a crap shoot. If your trailer has a metal frame, there are probably large gaps between the vertical supports and the open areas between are just two skins with foam insulation between. No problem to cut a hole, unless a piece of square metal tubing just happens to be in the way. If wood frames, the studs are probably closer, but still not 16" centers like a house. And wood studs can be cut if needed.

You need to tap the walls to try to locate where the uprights are and gingerly cut out between them. I'd start with a smallish drilled hole so I could get a look/feel inside before expanding the hole to fan size.

Obviously the exterior has to be sealed. Any good RV caulk should do the job - I'd probably choose ProFlex RV in the clear formula for the exposed edges. If you need a sealer to sandwich between the fans outer flange (it does have one, I hope?) and the sidewall, the butyl (or similar) tape sold in mobile home shops and some hardware & lumber stores is good. Sometimes it is known as window seal tape or putty tape. And sometimes colloquially as "monkey poop" or similar graphic names.  ::)

You probably also need an outside cover like louvers or such to keep rain and so forth out, also a screen for bugs.>>>Dan

I also have a set of automatic shutters that are for this style/make of fan and that will be installed on the outside.  they open when the fan is on and close when its not.

So this sounds totaly doable to me.  Ive called a few camper places and none act like they wanna do it for me. Maybe Ill jsut start asking them to cut the hole.  Any tips on correct tool to cut hole with If I have to do this myself. I totaly agree with the drillin small hole first and seeing whats behind the interior wall. I belive its the metal frame type of wall.

Thanks for your help!!!  :)

You probably have a fibreglass or aluminium skin,, you can use a "stud finder" (any home depot or Lowe's) to locate the steel framing. Lay it out and cut thru with an abrasive wheel, lightly file the edges to remove sharp edges. You will need to replace some framing to support the fan.>>>Dan

I'd lay out the hole and cut it from the inside using a sabre saw and a fine tooth blade long enough to cut thru both the inside and the outside at the same time.  Cut from the inside because most sabre saw blades are made to cut on the "pull" stroke.  Put masking tape down first before you lay out the hole to eliminate burrs and splinters.

I installed a cargo/access door in my prior TT (under a bunk) and it went pretty much as others have described it here. A little nerve racking to drill and cut holes in the wall but overall, it was a pretty smooth process and ended up water tight.

turtleglass said:
I have a fun mover toy hauler thats a class c motorhome. I wanna install a fan in the wall of the garage area that Ive converted to a glass blowing shop. I wanna know if any one could offer any info of doin such a project or if I need to take it to a RV garage to have it done. Specificly cutting hole in wall and sealing the hole properly.  I included pic on set up  as you can see the fan is above me now and want to install it in wall right under cabinet directly infront of torch.  Please help me out :) I plan on leaving in this next week to hit he road for good. We (gf and I) will be living in this and traveling USA and creating glass art.  thanks

http://i740.photobucket.com/albums/xx48/turtleglass/GlassRoots/mobileshopmadison204.jpg

stud finder.
I would select the fan PRIOR to cutting and get matching shrouds or trim for it, cut, install, place the shroud in place and seal with silicon sealant or equivalent.

I'd use an angle grinder to make the cut - a sawzall, even with a metal blade (I use Milwalkee Torch blades) is a bit aggressive and will pull the material quite a bit. If you are in the Denver area I'd be happy to help - many years building houses, doing rennovations, etc. Almost guarantee when you cut into the wall you'll find something you'll have to deal with, be it a wire, pipe...! Always seems to happen, and why bidding rennovations is so hard!

Thanks for all the info. I had been tryin to get around this but seems Like something that has to be done now. My ventilation will not work properly the way it is now.  s2kskibum I wish I was in your area :)  thanks for the offer!

turtleglass-
I see you took my advice before I even gave it and you have gotten some great pointers here!  This is a terrific site for asking questions like yours!

Someone told me today that having my fan installed in wall how I described and we have been talking about, would get me rejected from alot of Nice RV parks. I wouldnt have the slightest Idea considering Ive never been to a RV park. Not sure what the Issue is with it either. Anyone got any info on that????????

I hear ya on that!  But the guy who told me is a Glassblower who has been doin the same thing Im trying to do for over ten years now mainly west coast I think, so feel like he may know what he is talking about.    I Dont wanna cut a hole im my rig then have it get me turned down @ parks, that would really bum me out.

I all ready have on the two diff flameworking boards I belong too , and on Facebook,  but the problem is, the one person that told me about the RV parks not liking glassblowers is the Only person who lives an RV lifestyle and is also a glassblower. Everyone else can only guess!  So I thought I would bring the ? to this RV site as well. Any help would be great :)

Could you use a hood and vent out the roof?

Don't know how much air you have to move but they make a 4" & 6" fan that mounts inside the vent pipe. Once through the roof just put a roof cap on it.

Something similar to this

Thanks so much for the link! I am considering goin through the roof with the Ventilation, Just need to find a rain cap that will not reduce my airflow. I think the one thats above the vent now is restricting the airflow for sure.  Maybe I will find one on the site you gave me !!!

A  Maxxair Turbomax moves 982 cfm of air through a standard RV roof vent. Enough? I don't know how much heat & fumes you will have.

http://www.maxxair.com/turbo-maxx.html

Here is what I ended up doing.  Took out a cabinet and built a hood. Then we bought a lil 5x8 trailer to haul extra supplies/ random crap in  :)  Just wanted to keep ya posted .  Been using my shop a lot and the ventilation works well. The trailer makes it harder to navigate the rv around but it makes up for it with all the extra spacei n my shop now :)  Thanks for all your help ~ JR

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=188647271175592&set=a.103013269738993.1789.100000909610456&theater

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=188637754509877&set=a.103013269738993.1789.100000909610456&theater

Back
Top Bottom