installing solar on 5th wheel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Olpueblo55

Can anyone recommend any good books that describes step by step in detail with schematics and diagrams on how to install  all the components of a solar system?  I was looking at "photovoltaics for dummies" on Amazon.  I know the basic components needed (I think) solar panels, charge controller, breakers, batteries and invertor.  I am a skilled woodworker, but an electrician...not so much.  I'm just looking for a guide that spells out the wiring and circuitry clearly.  Thanks!

Try googling "Jack Mayer" and "Handy Bob". Lots of good info there.

Electrically, I dont believe solar is difficult.  the biggest decision is whether to connect your panels in series or parallel.  The other primary issue is making sure you use the proper size wire for the application.  I am no electrician, but installing and connecting our solar system was not a problem.  Logic and common sense are important.

If you didn't already read it, here's a link to Mark Nemeth's write up on 12 volt systems from Jack Mayer's site. That, along with Jack Mayer's basic diagrams should get you moving in the right direction.

http://www.manmrk.net/tutorials/RV/12voltSideofLifePart1.htm

I knew nothing and not an electrician and I was able to install  2-160w panels, triametric battery monitor and solar charger along with 4 g wire. Both those websites were my go to for advice. Take it slow, plan, fine right parts, highly recommend am solar

Just thought I would mention that Ray at Loveyourrv.com has a lot of useful information on his site/blog. I have copied a lot of his techniques with success.

I agree.  Ray has a great website and explains his solar installation very well.  Thanks for the reminder!

Talk to Brian at https://www.facebook.com/groups/1730535217184853/.
Solar powered RV's and Boondocking.
Great resource and He'll talk you through it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeeRob
Back
Top Bottom