Instant Pot Recipies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MN Blue Skies

Site Team
We planning a two month trip and would love to learn about your favorite Instant Pot recipes that you use while you're on the road.  Please post them in the RV Forum Library. 

My standard approach to cooking in my Instant Pot is merely to google ?instant pot recipename?.
Instant pot cheesecake
Instant pot ribs
Instant pot shredded pork
Instant pot mashed sweet potatoes

Or any other type of food you want

You can use it like a crock pot, yes?  Try this:

1 1/2 lbs chicken breast tenders
16oz jar of your favorite chunky salsa(we use either Tostidos chunky salsa or for a change some LaVictoria green chilie salsa)
16oz can chicken broth
8oz Monterey Jack cheese, cubed(small cubes or they won't melt)

6 hours on low in my old fashioned crock pot, shred the chicken with a fork, and dinner is ready.  I've been thinking of throwing a small can of corn and maybe some black beans in it one of these times.

I'm having a lot of fun with the Instant Pot I got for myself last year.
I set up an Instant Pot board in my Pinterest account. As a result I receive frequent emails with links to recipes on other such boards.
Unfortunately most of what's out there are creamy/cheesy "dump and cook" casseroles that are high-fat and low-flavor (not really my thing, ymmv) but it's worth plowing through them for the occasional gem.
This Mediterranean Chicken, though, was pretty tasty: https://www.pinterest.com/pin/676947387719553501/

My kids gave me a copy of "The Instant Pot Bible" https://www.amazon.com/Instant-Pot-Bible-Recipes-Strategies-ebook/dp/B079L5NP6M which I can recommend for more variety. My most recent success from the book was the Chicken Cacciatore on page 304. Try stirring in 5 oz. of baby spinach right before stirring. Next time I'm going to use boneless, skinless chicken thighs but to replace the loss of the skins for browning flavor I plan to cook a couple of rashers of chopped bacon on sautee first, then brown the chicken in the bacon drippings. (Yep, I'm one of those people who can't leave a decent recipe alone  :D)

Instant pot has killed the crock pot.

Slow cooking just destroys meat. It always come out dried out and way over cooked.

Instant pot always comes out awesome.

Slow cooker to the dumpster.

I feel the same way about a Crock-Pot. Meat comes dry as a bone. I've been told to keep the meat on top of the veggies, but that didn't work for me.

My wife has a great recipe that we really enjoy, but some of the ingredients are sometimes difficult to get.....elk cheeseburger soup!  We won?t be having any this year. I?m told that beef (yuck) can be substituted for elk!  :)

Maybe try venison or bison in place of the elk. I've not tried elk before, so not sure what would be close.

Quote:  Maybe try venison or bison in place of the elk. I've not tried elk before, so not sure what would be close.

Very true!

Total Newbies at this insta pot, have only made a whole chicken with some red spuds. But Damn, cook a chicken in 25 minuets, I'm impressed. Waiting to read more on those that some good recipies,,,gregg

Two chicken breasts.  (Or whatever parts of the chicken you like)
One can of mushroom soup (condensed with no water)
1/4 cup of sour cream or milk

Cooks from frozen to done in about 35 minutes

Good over rice, mashed potatoes biscuits etc.

It was dinner last night!

Since we got the hot pot the crock has not been used for anything other than keeping stuff warm at partys.

High Pressure Chicken

1 TBL olive oil
2 cups chopped onions or leeks
1 medium green bell pepper, seeded and finely diced
1/2 cup red wine (or water)
10 Oz cremini or button mushrooms, sliced or quarted.
2  Lbs Bone-in Skinned chicken greast halves, thighs or a combination of them.
2 cups good quality tomato sauce
2 Tbl tomato paste

Optional items
Chopped fresh parsley or basil, plus more for garnish (optional)
1/2 cup Grated parmesan or Romano Cheese plus  more to pass at table
Salt and Pepper (Fresh ground)  Some other stuff like olives are mentioned below but not in the ingredients list I have

heat oil in 4 Qt or larger cooker. Add the onions and bell pepper and cook over medium high heat, stirring frequently, until the onions soften slightly about 2 minutes.  Stir in the wine and boil until about half evaporates. Scrape any browned bits sticking to bottom of cooker.

Stir in Mushrooms. Set the chicken on top Cover chicken with Tomato Sauce plop tomato paste on top .

Lock lid in place and over high heat bring to high pressure  Reduce heat just enough to maintain pressure (NOTE on the INSTANT pot this is all done by the device no need to mess with heat controls). Cook for 8 minutes (I like to double that) Remove from heat (Instant pot does this automatically as well) and let pressure drop naturally (DO NOT FAST RELEASE).  Finally Stir in the olives, parsley and red pepper flakes (if using)  Let rest 3-5 Min, TO serve lightly dust with cheese and sprinkle with parsley.

Optional brown the chicken add garlic

NOTE this is for a stove top pressure cooker but works well with my Chefman "Multi-Cooker" (insta pot knock off)

Everything and anything!

Best tip ever for using the instant pot for anything.  No matter what you make add the Liquid ingredient first and put the instant pot on warm while chopping and adding all your other ingredients.  This will shorten the time it takes to seal and start the count down.
We used to add everything in the pot and then set the timer.  This took a long time for the pot to seal and start the count down.

Now we add the liquid first. Set pot to warm
Next add meat
Next add seasonings
Next add veggies in order of hardness
Put the lid on sealing and set for your cook time, we normally use "manual"

So here's my experience after two dinners, one a whole chicken and broth and veggies, the 2nd which was last night, Pork Spare Ribs with a cup of water per youtube. Yes it cooks fast and meat is moist, BUT, the breast of the chicken and the pork rib meat fell off the bone and moist but both were stringy like a pot roast vs low temp BBQ or smoking where the meat tissue is broken down and tender not stringy. I don't see this as my go to on meat dishes. When I cook a whole chicken or a pork roast in a crock pot, I always add a 1/4 water, never had dry meat, and I have done many over the years. Not giving up on the Insta pot since my wife wanted it, but will keep trying different dishes,,,gregg 

i do a chicken or beef with rice very easy i tried to use saute and than pressure but i got a burn notice so now i cut up the chicken into 1 " pieces and cut up an onion and add mushrooms add to a 1 gal zip lock bag add olive oil and red wine vinegar and your choice of spices.  i use Italian mix with added garlic and put in fridge for an hr.  when i go to cook i add three cups of rice and water to instant pot mix than i do a quick saute of the chicken mix in a pan on the stove just to soften and brown add to pot and set for rice all done in 20 min

Broke Boater said:
So here's my experience after two dinners, one a whole chicken and broth and veggies, the 2nd which was last night, Pork Spare Ribs with a cup of water per youtube. Yes it cooks fast and meat is moist, BUT, the breast of the chicken and the pork rib meat fell off the bone and moist but both were stringy like a pot roast vs low temp BBQ or smoking where the meat tissue is broken down and tender not stringy. I don't see this as my go to on meat dishes. When I cook a whole chicken or a pork roast in a crock pot, I always add a 1/4 water, never had dry meat, and I have done many over the years. Not giving up on the Insta pot since my wife wanted it, but will keep trying different dishes,,,gregg
When meat dries out in the IP it frequently is because the pressure was released too early. Meat requires at least a 10 minute cool down time before depressurizing or the moisture in the meat is forcibly removed with the steam.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
merlee&drebug
Back
Top Bottom