Insufficient Power for Boondocking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Mark, can we please not start this one again until we get control of his current issue. One thing that is important to realize here is that some models of 12V RV refrigerators are MUCH more efficient than others. We really need to know the amp / watt draw of this particular unit, until then we are all guessing.

Correct, we don't know. But in no case does the 50% Rule apply. Ah are Ah whether it's lead or lithium and battery efficiency or cycle life are not immediate considerations.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM

You're right, the topic started with fridges and detoured to the furnace. 100W for a typical furnace is about right.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM

I also would like to Boondock but my 12v fridge doesn’t last more than 36 hours on solar. I have 2023 Keystone Cougar with Solarflex 400i which came with 2 - 100Amp hour lithium batteries.
I see in the posts that I should make sure the inverter is powered off, so my question is the 12v fridge will still work without the inverter on?
and another question is…is it possible to get 2 - gamechanger lithium batteries at 270 amp hours for a total of 540 to replace the 2 -100 amp hr ones, would I have to change other components out with a larger battery bank?

A 12v fridge doesn't need an inverter at all. An inverter converts 12vdc to 120vac and the 12v fridge doesn't use any 120vac. It's true that an inverter consumes a little battery power even when idle, so turning it off when not needed saves battery for other uses.

As for the larger battery bank, it's mostly a matter of space. A more power charger for faster re-charging might be desirable, but it's not necessary.

You say you get about 36 hours when using solar & your present batteries, so it's apparent you are using 12v power faster tan your solar can replenish it. But without knowing what else you are spending power on or what your solar charge capability is, we can't even guess what would give you more time. Maybe it's just that your solar panels are in the shade and not producing much at all?

The package comes with a victron monitor. With that you should have a pretty good insight of what's being drawn and when. More batteries does result in longer run time from the initial charge, but if your solar isn't keeping up then it's only a matter of time before you hit the same point. Experimentation with the monitor may reveal a way to just time shift different loads and you might not need to add any batteries at all.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM

Thank you for responding. I unplugged from shore power this morning and powered off the inverter. It’s been 1 1/2 hrs and still at 100% SOC. And yes where I was living was always cloudy so I wasn’t getting sun for solar panels.

That is why I’m leaning toward getting the larger batteries so when i unplug from shore power they should be fully charged to go Boondocking at national park for at least 4 days just running fridge and water pump, and then go to campground with electric hook up to recharge the batteries on shore power, is that right?

So as long as I have room for the 2 Gamechanger batteries to be able to store 540 amp hours instead of the 200 amp hours I won‘t need to change anything else?

I went to Quartzsite the other day and they said to add 1000 more watts for solar panels with the new batteries but I just want to go to national parks for 4 days than go to a campground with electric hookups.

When we were shopping last year seems most of the trailers are now coming with 12v fridge, as in no propane and no 110. When hooked to shore power, the converter gives it the 12v, and otherwise on battery. I was concerned about that much being used on the batteries, especially a couple 12v lead acid. Seems the best situation would be with the LiOn battery banks.
Currently I have 2 6v batteries mounted on the tongue, I suppose I could do something in the front compartment, or maybe on the rear next to where the converter is. My fridge is the regular 2-way, so propane for boondocking, but would be nice to have more lasting power for my furnace in cold weather.

I’m leaning toward getting the larger batteries ... go Boondocking at national park for at least 4 ... then go to campground with electric hook up to recharge the batteries
Maybe. Your battery monitor will show you what you draw on a daily basis and what you can expect to recover from solar both cloudy and sunny, and from there know if 4 batteries will carry you 4 days. Given your scenario as stated, 200Ah gets you 36 hours. Extrapolating that to four days requires 533 Ah, so your proposed expansion to 540 Ah just barely gets you there plus or minus error. You're likely going to need some additional input (genset or solar), more battery, or less draw.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM

Id go along with gary rv wizard. We have two 6 volt golf cart batteries at 230 AH and they easily get us thru a weekend ..

Your first step should be an energy audit of your trailer. You can find examples on most solar websites. Without accomplishing that you don't know what your are spending your 12V power on, how much or when.
To use an old land navigation saying, you can't get where you want to be unless you know where you are now.
This is just one website's RV energy audit: How To Do An RV Solar Energy Audit - RV Solar Connections
This rvform.net thread should be quite helpful: simple solar calculator

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Savysoaker
Back
Top Bottom