insurance on a trailer?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mommadana

We would have to get insurance on a trailer right?  Is there a big difference in insurance costs depending on the cost of the RV or is it mostly liability?  How much extra are you all paying?

We insure our 28 ft. travel trailer as a rider on our car and truck insurance policy.  It cost us $100/year.

The coverage on a trailer is collision and comprehensive (non-collision damage or loss) and is generally inexpensive (depends on value of the trailer). For vehicle liability purposes, it is covered by the tow vehicle while underway, so no separate vehicle liability is needed..

Liability for injuries that may occur in/around the RV when parked is a different coverage, sometimes called "vacation liability".  It covers you if somebody trips on your entry step or walks into an awning support and cuts their head. It happens.  If you have homeowner or renters insurance, the personal liability part of that usually extends to wherever you are visiting, e.g a hotel room or a park. Ask your agent about accidents while you are temporarily staying on a campsite.  If this sort of personal liability is not provided by your homeowner or renter insurance, you may want to get an RV-specific policy that has vacation liability coverage.

If you are buying a brand new RV, I would suggest getting Total Loss Replacement coverage.  This coverage will buy you a brand new equivalent RV if you should suffer a total loss within the first 5 years.  After that, the coverage gives you the price you paid for the RV.

Without this coverage, all you would receive in the event of a total loss is market value, which the minute you drive off the lot will be thousands of dollars less than what you paid for it.

Thanks Gary, I wouldn't have had any idea to check those options.  As far as loss for our trailer...we top out at $3000 for what we're going to be looking for.  ;D  Not worried about that part.
We're still in the preliminaries of deciding if this is worth it now that we have a tow vehicle.  I say YES but hubby just hates vacations.  I'm hoping he'll come with us if we have a little home away from home.

mommadana said:
GREAT!  much, much less than I thought-yours is a 2005 right?

Yes, it is a 2005 model 28A Cherokee Lite by Forest River.  We bought it new in 2005.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thumpercolt
Back
Top Bottom