Insurance?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RoxieRV

What kind of insurance do y'all have for your RV? What is the best bang for your buck (aka the cheapest  ;D)

Found the best rate through AARP -> Hartford.  Considerably less than what my auto insurance company was going to charge me.  On the other hand when I asked about moving my auto to the Hartford to keep everything in one place they were almost twice as much on the auto policy.  So RV is at Hartford and autos are at State Farm.

So basically, shop around.

I just went through this with my Class A purchase. I wanted agreed value coverage on my 2004 pace Arrow 37C.

Progressive was the only one I found that would offer that to me. However, my local agent, through whom I purchased my boat insurance, was unable to offer the agreed amount I required.

I was able to obtain it using an agent from Good Sam. Progressive told my agent that no other agency could offer better coverage than was available to him, but that proved to be false.

Tom

I got mine from Safeco through an agent at the dealer 1/3 the cost of the quote my auto policy gave to add it. Includes replacement cost coverage.

You asked two entirely different questions:
1. What kind?
2. What is cheapest?

And received answers mostly about what brand (company).

You also didn't state whether the RV is motorized or towable - that makes a huge difference. Motorhomes require liability insurance in all 50 states, and that's a big part of the answer to both type and cost.

The cheapest is none if a towable and minimum liability only for motorized. But if you want collision and comprehensive coverage (pays for damage to your RV) for either one, you make it cheaper in two ways: (1) insure for Actual Cash Value (ACV) rather than Agreed Value, and (2) have a higher Deductible.

The rest of the answer is that you have to shop around yourself, because premium costs vary tremendously based on a wide variety of factors, starting with your physical location (zip code) and carrying on through age, sex, marital status, credit rating, driving record, and the inevitable "etc.". No one company has the "best rates" or "best coverage" for everybody.

Agree with Gary. And the same insurer may rate different people much differently in the same location.  Companies will offer different rates in order to minimize their liability in a given area.  I had one company double their rate to me for no apparent reason, other than just to encourage me to shop around.  Which I did and got a policy for less than half of what their renewal was. 

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kevinapple
Back
Top Bottom