Interactive Quiz. A little humor for those over 50!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
bucks2 said:
You don't understand Molaker, I need to get it off the porch. Get your buddies together and come over.
Well, that was 50 years ago.  I'm not sure 20 of us could lift it again.

First car was a 1928 Chevrolet Coupe with a rumble seat with roll up window between seat and cab. It even had a two tone paint job, Brewster Green with Black fenders.

My first car was a 1931 Chevrolet Coupe.  Paid $50 dollars for it, drove it for three years and sold it for $100.  Recently saw one at a classic car sales lot, not restored but in excellent original condition.  They wanted $30,000 for it.

Recently saw one at a classic car sales lot, not restored but in excellent original condition.  They wanted $30,000 for it.

Isn't that about $100 in 1931 dollars, plus inflation?  ;)

Allow me to join the club. My first car was a '39 Willys Overland (Discussed in a previous post a long time ago).

That's not the story. Being a young guy in the early 50's, gung ho and full of hopes for doing something spectacular..... I was going to build my own car.

I was enamored with a 39 Packard (enormous) having coil springs, rubber front end whatchamacallits, big motor etc.. I found a chassis in a local wrecking yard, just what I was looking for. No body, no motor but it did have a drivers seat, brakes that worked, steering wheel and tires...good enough to be towed.

I bought it for (Peanuts in those days) and enticed a friend to help me tow it home. We hooked a tow rope onto it and started the journey of about 8 miles away. This meant going through city streets in a large city. Imagine other motorists watching the spectacle. A young guy on an open chassis steering the frame on tow rope.

My intent was to put a suitable high-power engine into it, then build a body out of fibreglas?. What was I thinking. ;D I drew up an artists conception as to what it should look like. (I was not an artist but it looked good). 4 headlights...multi tail lights...all before it's time. I even named it a WECA. (part of my name).

I started out gathering replacement parts. New springs, suspension parts as a start. Took a while to get those things into place. (Parts were still available from dealers). Then my life changed a bit..got more important jobs that took up my spare time. My production line took second place and things came to a halt. Moved the hulk out of the tiny garage and put it outside into the weather.

Finally my Father suggested that we have it removed, with my agreement, after a couple of years.

All I have now are memories. What a ride.

I guess the moral of the story is that not all dreams come true, especially when one is 17 years old without wisdom nor enough money ($1.25 per hour) to think things thru. The new car would have been priceless but so are my memories now from this little venture.

I have learned a lot in the last 60 years since then. I give myself a grade of C for trying.

FWIW.  Carson FL

I hope all your dreams come true.  Merry Christmas.

I remember a story that claimed Hitler said the 39 packard was the best built car in the world. Something about coming to the races in Indianapolis and wanting a german car to be ready for entry. Read it in a book about Porsche but the memory fades.

My first car was a 19xx vw fastback. To use the windsheild washers, you had to make sure your spare tire was inflated, a hose ran from the spare to the pressure tank full of washer fluid.

Never liked that idea...

I had a 1965 VW bug with the same arrangement.  The spare tire air was supposed to shut off at 15 PSI so the spare wouldn't go completely flat.

I guess in theory it worked - in practice it was hard to get a perfect seal on the valve stem so after air stopped flowing to the washer tank, it just bled off into the atmosphere and you wound up with a flat spare tire.

My 1971 VW bug came with a real electric washer pump.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GandalfTheGrey
Back
Top Bottom