Interior Lights Blink when Furnace is trying to start

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Issue resolved. I hooked up a 12V battery to the leads and the furnace fired right up. Thanks to all for your suggestions and advice, a wealth of knowledge here. I learned something for sure.

Note with a Magnetek 6300... Given time it will boil that battery dry.
It does not know when to stop charging.. Highly suggest an upgrade to an Progressibe Dynamics Intellapower 4600 series replaces JUST the converter part (you use the same fuse/breaker boards)

Note with a Magnetek 6300... Given time it will boil that battery dry.
It does not know when to stop charging.. Highly suggest an upgrade to an Progressibe Dynamics Intellapower 4600 series replaces JUST the converter part (you use the same fuse/breaker boards)
Thanks John!, I will look into this.

I
Also keep a close eye on the electrolyte levels in the battery and add distilled water as needed in the mean time.
I need to buy a proper RV battery, I only had a 12V car battery that I was testing the furnace with. It allowed me to fire up the furnace but the low batt warning alarm started soon after. I am suspecting the converter is not charging the batt.

I

I need to buy a proper RV battery, I only had a 12V car battery that I was testing the furnace with. It allowed me to fire up the furnace but the low batt warning alarm started soon after. I am suspecting the converter is not charging the batt.
What is this and why only now when you had NO battery before??

What is this and why only now when you had NO battery before??
So, I bought this 1998 Mallard 29 last year for my camping property. It did not have a battery with it. I hooked it to shore power and everything worked all last year so I figured I was fine and did not buy one. I went to work on re-doing the interior, needed heat, plugged it into shore power and that started this discussion. I mistakenly assumed I did not need a battery since everything worked without one.

I mistakenly assumed I did not need a battery

You weren't mistaken. Nominal house loads don't need a battery with a properly functioning converter. It's standard for me to leave my house batteries disconnected when I'm on shore power, everything works. Given the age of your unit it's pretty much a given the converter will not be friendly to any battery, especially one that isn't in active use (i.e. mostly shore power). Replacing the converter with a modern one will obviate the need for a battery which will eliminate ongoing battery attention and replacement expense. Unless, you want to keep the battery to ride through power outages which is OK, but you still want a modern converter so you're not going through batteries unnecessarily.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM

I hooked it to shore power and everything worked all last year so I figured I was fine and did not buy one.
Something must have changed and while some converters do require the use of a battery, that is not a universal thing. You need to get a voltage reading from the converter with the negative battery cable lifted to take it out of the circuit. If the converter is working as it used to, that voltage should be around 13.5V but as long as it is above 12V it should make most things work without the battery connected. Measure that voltage where shown in this picture, between the two points of #5.
1709828448076.png

Something must have changed and while some converters do require the use of a battery, that is not a universal thing. You need to get a voltage reading from the converter with the negative battery cable lifted to take it out of the circuit. If the converter is working as it used to, that voltage should be around 13.5V but as long as it is above 12V it should make most things work without the battery connected. Measure that voltage where shown in this picture, between the two points of #5.
View attachment 171646
I will try this this weekend. Thank you.

Magnetek used to sell something called a "Battery Simulator" I've actually seen one believe it or not. but of course Magnetek is no more (Bought out by Parallex who makes a better prodct)

Thankfully the product is still out there. I found some from a couple Farad for around 25 bucks (A couple in parallel might work) that was at Digi-key Up to one at 375 Farad for $150. Though I question that "ultra cap"'s ratings. they have one for 250 that's rated about the same but in microfarads (micro = 1/1000) A good car audio place will have them... Might work.

Putting a supercap on a linear magnetek doesn't fix a 30 year old converter design, reset the clock on 1998 components, or keep the battery from overcharging. Lipstick on a pig.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM

I took readings on the weekend. Almost no output to the battery. I ordered a progressive dynamics 4100 series converter and will install. Thanks to all for the help

I ordered a progressive dynamics 4100 series converter and will install.
Just be careful and follow the instructions and you should do fine. With the "all in one" type you will need to remove and reconnect all of the 120V circuits. If it were me I'd replace the circuit breakers that are not recent at the same time as I don't think it will come with those. It should be a significant improvement from what you have had.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Savysoaker
Back
Top Bottom