Intermittent Electrical Issue Inverter/switch

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shursnap

Hi, I have a 1996 SAFARI SAHARA Class A RV. The electrical was all working with the 2 circuit FREEDOM inverter, but then it started kicking out randomly. I would have to turn it off and back on at the control panel in the bedroom. It works for awhile, then kicks out, even though nothing is being used except for a light, or two. That is still a problem, but recently developed another issue. Now when hooked up to shore power only one circuit works in the RV. I've tried turning the inverter off and back on, but that doesn't make any difference. I've checked all the breakers and connections there. I can hear the automatic switch when I plug into shore power, but still only one circuit working. I think it had the same problem when I first got the RV (never actually used it yet), but then it just started working with both circuits for awhile. Now back to one circuit and an inverter that keeps kicking out all the time. I took it to a local RV repair center, but they said they couldn't replace the inverter, or repair it. I really want to use my RV and I'd be happy to pay someone to fix it, but I'm pretty rural and no other RV repair centers near me. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!

Just to clarify, all electrical works with inverter, but it kicks out pretty quickly. Only one circuit working with shore power.

Sounds like a failed connection on the ac-in to the inverter.. or if you have an independent transfer switch to that. Have had that happen on my single-circuit inverters.

Does the Freedom inverter show a fault or do you simply lose power on the circuit without any problem indicator on the Freedom. And does the Freedom have a remote display or just the indicator lights on the box? The remote usually provides more information. And which model Freedom is it? There have been quite a few in that series over the last 20+ years.

An inverter faulting while inverting is often a battery problem, e.g. the voltage drops below the acceptable threshold. But losing only 1 of 2 branch circuits and only on shore power is really strange. The output wiring uses the same path whether inverting or shorepower pass-thru.

It sounds like your local RV shop lacks skill with wiring and inverters. I would think they could at least replace it, but not every tech is experienced with that sort of thing. Are there any mobile techs in your area?

You mention that only a light or two was on, do they stop working when it "kicks out" or continue? Most RV lighting is 12V direct current and the same source as the supply to the inverter, if without shore power at 120C. When it quits, do you lose all 120V power or only some of it? You mention 2 circuits, which makes me wonder how many 120V circuit breakers do you have?

You mention 2 circuits, which makes me wonder how many 120V circuit breakers do you have?
Most Freedom model inverters have only two 120v outlets and thus can supply two branch circuits. The RV probably has more circuits, some of which do not pass thru the inverter, e.g. a/c units and water heater branch circuits. But the question is still a good one - it's important to know if non-inverter circuits are affected.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Savysoaker
Back
Top Bottom