internet

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
  Turn right here "left" is another problem.  ;D  carson FL

Carson, why would that be a problem?

"Turn right  here left"  and  "Turn left  right here"  gets you to the same place.  :D

carson said:
Right on, Jim.  Have experienced that a few times. Never again. Next time I'll send the navigator to ask. Then I'll be sure we are going in the wrong direction.    ;D  Turn right here "left" is another problem.  ;D

carson FL

Small problem here, I'm the navigator and she's the driver and men never admit they are lost!!    ;)

carson said:
Has anyone invented a "WI-FI" sniffer yet?  I can envision a small hand-held independent device one can carry while walking or driving to find reasonable signals,
without a computer being necessary. Just to find hot spots.  

There are a couple of dozen of them on the market

One such unit

Another such unit

Note that these links are the result of a Google search and that is about all I can tell you about them, not an endorsement of either product or store

I use a Verizon air card.  I have for years and only stopped in one place where I did not have internet service.  The RV Park across the street from the I MAX at the Grand Canyon.  The next night we moved to the RV park at Grand Canyon Village and had real good internet for the days we were there.

Verizon has worked all over the nation.  I am more than happy with Verizon Wireless.

carson said:
Has anyone invented a "WI-FI" sniffer yet?  I can envision a small hand-held independent device one can carry while walking or driving to find reasonable signals, without a computer being necessary. Just to find hot spots.

Haven't taken the time to search the net...too lazy.

carson FL  

Here in the SF area (and many other places) there are countless wireless systems that do NOT reach the internet.

I use my little IPOD TOUCH and make a real connection to see where there is wireless and open internet.  You can also see all the others as well and see if there are ones that require passwords, etc.

The IPOD could still be improved in one way. I noticed that PC wireless will show at a glance if there is internet on the wireless. With the IPOD Touch, you have to make a connection to really be sure it will work.

BTW, even another notebook computer with its wireless left on will show as a wireless with a cheap sniffer. I have one, but found it to be useless as you don't want to know if there's wireless unless it connects to the internet. The sniffer is only good for telling you that there is no wireless at all.

But if you want one, the Iogear WIFI HotSpot Finder does what it is designed to do, there are others that false all the time. But I don't think any will tell you if there's internet on the wireless.

-Don- SF, CA​

I don't think any will tell you if there's internet on the wireless.

Good point Don. I was in a building with my iPod Touch one day last week, in search of WiFi. Found one that said "print server". It looked like the building had its PCs hooked wirelessly to a central printer. No internet on that connection.

Tom said:
Good point Don. I was in a building with my iPod Touch one day last week, in search of WiFi. Found one that said "print server". It looked like the building had its PCs hooked wirelessly to a central printer. No internet on that connection.

Many give no such clues. Other wireless print servers or other such stuff might just show as "wireless".  Here in SF, especially around the countless restaurants on Clement Street, I can often see about 20 wireless systems on my IPOD. I will be lucky to find one that is connected to the internet and even more lucky if it's not password protected.

However, often you can find a Boingo Wireless there as well as many other places.

-Don- SF, CA​

often you can find a Boingo Wireless ...

Thanks for the reminder Don. I hadn't seen or heard mention of Boingo for several years.

carson said:
Turn right here "left" is another problem.  ;D

Also, it's according to what "is" (or "left") is . . .  :)

After being given directions to the airport, there's the story of the fellow that after reading the sign -- "AIRPORT LEFT" -- turned around and came back home.

LOL, Bob.  No need to go into the left direction,  some say. They'll miss the plane every time.

carson

I would buy an USB Wi-Fi booster. I use the one from hfield technologies called the Wi-Fire and it works great. I am able to be in a park and pick up all the Wi-Fi signals around me from a distance away. The software it comes with actually tells you in which direction you should point your adapter in so that you obtain a strong signal. I am able to pick up many signals and improve my siganl strength greatly. Thier website is www.hfield.com. good luck

jay

My guess is that it s a 2.4 GHz Yagi on a crcuit board inside a plastic housing.  Looks like about the right size.  Nice to have software although just twisting it around will do the same thing.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeeRob
Back
Top Bottom