Interstate 8 / CA and AZ

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NavionIQ

We have a planned trip to the Rose parade this year  from southern Mississippi.  We intend to go I-20 to I-10 and on into the greater LA area.  Our return trip will be through San Diego and back to I-10 on I-8.  My question is "How safe is I-8 along the border with Mexico?

No problem.  You'll go through at least one Boarder Patrol checkpoint which I think they set up at random locations and you'll see more Boarder Patrol SUVs than you can shake a stick at.  We have a daughter in San Diego and another in Phoenix so we take that route all the time.

Safe travels...

Rick

Safety is not an issue. Very safe. Beautiful road also.

The day after the Rose Parade they have all the floats on display and you can go visit them and walk amongst them.

So on Jan 1st the floats move and the people stand still.

On Jan 2nd the floats stand still and the people move.

If you are not in a rush, try taking in the Quartzsite Rally in Late January.  I 8 won't present any difficulties as far as US/Mexico safety, and unless they open it again, there is no border station going west to east.

Ed

NavionIQ said:
We have a planned trip to the Rose parade this year  from southern Mississippi.  We intend to go I-20 to I-10 and on into the greater LA area.  Our return trip will be through San Diego and back to I-10 on I-8.  My question is "How safe is I-8 along the border with Mexico?

I'd much rather drive I-8 than I-95 thru the Bronx, NY. Much safer.

Navion,

You will love the Rose Parade. As Seilerbird suggests it is fun to see the floats up close and personal on the day after the parade if it fits into your schedule. 
When you travel from San Diego  on Interstate  8, you will indeed come very close to the border with Mexico.  In fact  when you pass through the Imperial Sand dune area you can actually see the Border  FENCE .  But the area is safe .  Just watch for tourist traffic in the area. 

I would guess from San Diego to your connection at Interstate 10 you will  pass through at least  2 Border Patrol checkpoints. One is  in the mountain pass area in California, the other is outside of Yuma before you get to Gila Bend.  They will ask if you are  US citizens, where you are heading and tell you to have a nice day.  All this chit chat is going on while their highly trained dogs are sniffing your rig for drugs.  It seems RV's  have been a vehicle of choice for many smugglers so we all get the look see.  It's ok with me.

Do consider the third week in January for a stopover in Quartzsite.  It is a social phenomena unlike any I've ever seen, where  tens of  thousands  of RV's converge on a desolate area of the desert. 

You will actually get closer to the border on I-10 going through El Paso than you will anywhere along I-8.  Neither Interstate should be a problem.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jasondenman
Back
Top Bottom