interstate highway lane ending quickly or exit only !!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Utclmjmpr said:
Why is it necessary to list this subject at two places on the forum??>>>Dan

It isn't necessary and I merged the two.

For the OP, please do not post redundant topics

Hi,

I'll share my thoughts on this having experienced a near accident from sudden lane change. We were headed toward our campground in Tulsa one time. We had turned off I44 and heading west toward the camp ground. Had a car behind me that was too close to move over and was waiting for them to slow up or go around. They were just sitting in about the same spot not leaving me much options. Saw the lane ending and was able to move over to the next lane with car moving over to the next lane beside me and still close to my toad. Less than a mile from the first lane disappearing, the lane I was in disappeared for the second time. I started to put on the breaks and was going to slow down on the shoulder when right in front of me was a car in that shoulder (broke down) and no where to go.

By the time I realized I wasn't going to get things stopped trucks had given me some room and I didn't really care if I pulled into the car or not as that would have caused the least amount of damage. I pulled over and just in time to keep from running into the car on the shoulder. Was the worst place for a car to be in that situation. Speed was about 60 mph. I would have hit car at about 25 mph had I not pulled over into the next lane. Not sure where the car behind me disappeared to but was no where to be seen after I regained my composure. Wife was asleep and woke up to me just missing the car in the shoulder. Safe travels!

Broke Boater said:
Truck drivers got it figured out, put a blinker on and keep moving over, watch who blinks

Yup, my procedure exactly. If I need to merge, I reasonably do what I can (slow down, whatever) but when I'm running out of options I don't put myself in a bind - turn signal on and I start moving over. They always move

Ride in the second lane over, usually the middle lane.

Since I never have to be anywhere anytime, I simply don't travel on interstates if at all possible. It's not worth the danger, trashed nerves and hypertension.

I tend to stay one lane to the left of the right most lane when towing. Why? Because of the turbulence to the traffic flow caused by exiting and entering traffic. If I need to exit, I start moving to the right 2 miles out.

Any GPS will make life so much easier.
Google Maps has saved us a number of times. Real-time alerts can let you know when activity ahead is going to cause a problem, and often will route you around congestion caused by a crash or other obstruction.
Second best is Garmin 760 or better.

I tend to use Google Street view to explore an unfamiliar route before I get there, so I know what to expect. It doesn't help if there is recent construction, of course, but it can be great for getting the general plan through a city highway system.
I HATE surprises.

The Baltimore Md Beltway(695) and the Washington DC scareway.

If you want to white knuckle it for excitement on a boring day, You can't go wrong on either road.

The drivers go to the far left lane as a sport, and then fly over every lane in a blink of an eye and make a RIGHT exit.  And that exit says 20 mph, but I swear they must be hitting it at 50 mph while they are flying in front of you and hitting that exit.

Having that experience a few times will keep you out of either of the far lanes, when given the option. On 3+ lane highways, especially when busy, I tend to stick to one of the middle lanes to decrease my chances of being boxed in. Sure I'm going slower than almost all other traffic, but they always seem to zip around me no problem. I'll take all the options and advance warning that I can get, in terms of changing lanes and anticipating future exits.

In a funny dispute a couple of decades ago, FDOT threatened to resolve the City of Orlando's complaints about I-4 traffic by simply removing every entrance ramp in the metro area, which would have resolved the traffic problems.  :)

Sometimes you just have to exit.  Don't risk causing an accident to avoid a 10 minute delay.  Also, getting off at the wrong exit can be a great adventure.  ;)

ziplock said:

If you want to white knuckle it for excitement on a boring day, You can't go wrong on either road.

The drivers go to the far left lane as a sport, and then fly over every lane in a blink of an eye and make a RIGHT exit.  And that exit says 20 mph, but I swear they must be hitting it at 50 mph while they are flying in front of you and hitting that exit.

I avoid that whole area. A nice drive up the DelMarVa Peninsula solves that problem.

garyb1st said:
Also, getting off at the wrong exit can be a great adventure.  ;)

LOL, I remember one time (just in the car) when we missed our exit on I-71 in OH. Hit the next exit to turn around and ended up having a very nice lunch at Steak-n-Shake which we don't have here in NY.

ziplock said:

So true!!

Most of the time the lane ending is well marked with adequate warning.  At least on the highway.  Just like any other vehicle,signal as soon as possible and push your way over if you have to.  Do not drive to the merge point to make your move.  I see too many drivers who make no effort to get up to speed and move over until their lane runs out. 

darsben said:
There are no sudden lane endings on an interstate.  YOU either missed the sign or a driving with your eyes focused to close on the road ahead. I try to see everything at least a half mile ahead if me but usually a mile.

I agree! If you found yourself facing a ?sudden? lane change on an interstate, you weren?t looking far enough ahead and you were not paying attention to the signs.

I see so many drivers today who evidently look at the road about 2 car lengths ahead. They are the ones who swerve for an exit at the last second, or are faced with a ?sudden? lane change.

Try to look farther ahead, pay attention to the signs and, in busy metropolitan areas, stay out of the right lane! Drive in the second lane and you don?t have to worry about all the drivers entering and exiting the highway.

Back
Top Bottom