Introducing myself

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BobnLin

Hi,
We have been full-timers for more than 3 years to date but until my wife fully retired from her job we were stationary in an RV park near Loveland, Co.  Since June we have been on the move, first to Rapid City, SD, to Eureka, SD, Blair, Ne, and now Spring Branch, Tx.  Our camper is a "seasoned" 1998 Hitchhiker II as is the 2006 Ford F250 truck we pull it with but both are paid for and we will not purchase newer or bigger unless we can pay cash.  So we're winter Texans.

Sounds like your full timing plan is now in action.  We are in our mid fifties and I talk a good game when it comes to full timing.  But my husband always brings be back to reality reminding me that I will never leave the grandchildren for long periods of time.  So we are working out a plan how best to marry the two ...plus we have classic cars that need a home so we need to take that into consideration.  And I am totally with you on the new..bigger...better and cash statement!

vanbuskirk said:
I will never leave the grandchildren for long periods of time.  So we are working out a plan how best to marry the two ...

At the risk of hijacking the original post slightly, we resolved this problem several ways. First, we use a Southwest Rapid Rewards VISA for all purchases and pay the card off each month. Then, we schedule visits with the grandchildren to coincide with being within a 100 miles of a SWA airport. Ten bucks to get on the plane and off she goes! We have a minimum of four scheduled trips a year and we have shipped from Seattle, Denver, Salt Lake, and Albuquerque and never missed a birthday.

Second solution was to ship the kids to us. Shipped the Little Rock family out to Jackson, WY, rented a cabin, and toured Yellowstone for a week. Best vacation (their words) ever!

Final solution, they get to see us the last six weeks of the year as we cruise all the family in Arkansas, Mississippi, and Louisiana, and then head west in the spring.

Thinking outside of the box and redefining "normal" solves a lot of problems. Given all the the youth activities with five grandchildren, we get higher quality time with them this way than we ever did living in the same county. Everybody's needs are different but this solution has worked well over the last three and a half years of full timing.

Kim

Hello BobnLin and welcome to The RV Forum!

Texas is a great place to winter, and it sounds like you have the summers figured out too.

We are pleased that you have finally found us.  Know that you are certainly welcome to join our discussions.  We are a friendly bunch and we enjoy helping each other.  So, if you have questions for which you don't fine the answers in our library just post here and we will get back to you.

Welcome aboard!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tensch
Back
Top Bottom