Introduction

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ryan Tolmann

Ryan Tollmann, semi retired brick/block mason, survialist and geek , i like learning new skills and thinking outside the box. I get a certain sense of pride in getting more value then i paid for. Im new to living in an RV , the challenges and the blank canvas to alter, change,and improve what i have available. I like repurposeing, recrafting and frankly inventing things...I'll do any job where i might learn valuable knowledge, which i seem to have an endless appetite for.

Forgot to mention my RV, 1987 Ford E350 7.5l carb  'escaper' RV.  Purchse price 1900.00, and everything works..except its 30yrs old and parts fail but its ok, shes still my girl.

GEEKS UNITE!! 

Welcome to the Forum!

You will have no end to the fun with your new girl friend.  When issues arise, come here for help.

Awesome thanks for the warm reception ..anyone play around with the 108 amp hr walmart marine batteries, for $93.67 ea. Mine are new so im playing around with them in different ways, but hoping to fit in 12..for 1296 amp hours ;)...$1124.04 add to that the three prs of reclaimed 10yr old solar panels (900watts total) for 300$..and i should be able to both reduce battery drain and extend it at tge same time...any comments ?

Im beting that by the time those panels are needing replacement either tge world will have ended or the cost per watt will be pennies..or a new tech will emerge.. if i get five years at 80% of their mean ill be happy for the cost..might even buy more for pulling out of storage..

Update..my course is clear...old rv..requires mechanical work,electrical work and a makeover. The answer is either start taking trade classes or get a job eorking for an RV service shop...so i now work at an RV service shop. great town , great people and wonderful break..i wasnt looking forward to going back to school..plus i get paid..so i get the RV tricked out AND get paid..what!? The yang to the yin that brought me 3000 mi from home and left me stranded...now tgats a silver lining

You can buy real 6 volt deep cycle batteries for about the same price as the Walmart dual purpose batteries you are looking at. The Walmart battery is not a true deep cycle battery and will will not give  you the performance of  true deep cycle batteries.

If you are considering a major battery purchase like this, I suggest you read my article on RV Battery Choices. It's in the forum Library at http://www.rvforum.net/miscfiles/Choosing_right_battery.pdf

There are basically two considerations: (1) Amp-hour capacity, (2) years of reliable service. Well, maybe three considerations, since more of either of those comes at an extra cost.

Another comment: 12 of those batteries is going to add about 750 lbs of weight to the RV. I doubt if it has carrying capacity anywhere near large enough to handle that and all the other things you will need to carry, e.g. water, propane, food, clothing, etc.

Ive just been informed that my rv size is determined not from bumper to bumper but from inside rear to back of the seat...i guess i have a 20'er, however im curious why the overhead bed isnt considered..
750lbs in batteries..so at the very least id have to balance the weight and split the batteries up. ..
Ill read your article in a moment..look forward to it after work.
Clarification those things on the wishlist arent all going in the RV just one from each category,  maybe two if space is available. Just got my 600-1500watt oil radiator its pretty small but needs alot of area to avoid fire...its meant for a large room (15x15), so I'll get a weldeds tarp and line a box or the medium cabinet in the bedroom, ill test this next week..were a long way from winter...

I think the place i work has a scale around back, they do custom work so it should , if i recall, be a matter of pulling up with one half the vehicle on the scale then switch sides and compare the weights, then pull completely on the scale to see how close it is to the actual..
..i think the batteries would be the heaviest component...27gal water tank (2) 28gal holding tanks, 60lb lp tank, and i just read my spec sheet...my 7.5l 360 carb. e350 ford has 11,000 gvwr -40 gal gas..guess my registration was correct-ish

Back
Top Bottom