Irregular tire wear on steer tire

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RedT

Here's something for the experts to cogitate on! Way back in 2003 during my PDI test drive of my 2004 Itasca Meridian (Freightliner chassis) I squawked the fact that the coach pulled to the right. After alignment, the steering wheel was not centered, but I was told that it could only be centered by pulling the wheel, and they did not have the required tools. So, I accepted the condition - it wasn't a big deal.

Later, I began to notice an irregular wear pattern on the right steer tire. There was a deep wear of approx six inches on the outside tread, followed by six inches of normal wear, followed by deep wear. This wear pattern continued around the circumference of the tire.

Here is the dates and actions taken:
3/16/2006 - noted irregular tire wear on outside of right tire, 29071 miles.
Outside groove of Rt Front tire showing irregular wear (area approx 6" long). Experts said wheel balancing, alignment and bad tire could be the cause, advised I consult with tire experts.

3/16/2006 - Front end alignment at Freightliner facility, 29095 miles.

3/20/2006 Irregular Tire Wear, 29109 miles.

Outside groove of Rt Front tire showing irregular wear (area approx 6" long). Consulted with experts who determined that front end alignment was not required. Decided to place tire on right inside drive axle position and monitor tire wear more closely. Tread depth at time of change was 12/32" all tires.

4/2/2008 - Replace Front tires, 47370 miles.
Outside groove of Rt Front tire showing irregular wear. (This is second tire on this wheel) Replaced both front tires due to right wear.

8/19/2008 - Replace Rear tires, 51364 miles.
Primarily due to the irregular wear pattern of the tire now installed on the right inside drive axle position.

8/19/2008 - Front end alignment at Freightliner facility, 51354 miles.

5/18/2015 - R&R Tires , 99304 miles.
Replaced all tires due to age (7 years). Right front tire exhibited same wear pattern as before. This now is the third occurrence of irregular tire wear on the right front tire.

6/4/2015 - Laser Front end alignment at independent shop, 99318 miles.
Aligned front end, was told that drive axle alignment was "off" by 3/4 inch causing vehicle to pull right, causing irregular tire wear. Was also told that drive axle alignment could not be accomplished due to configuration. (In checking paper work for previous alignments, noted that there was NO documentation concerning the drive axle.)

Any Freightliner experts that can address this condition? The tech who performed the recent alignment set the toe, set the steering wheel straight, and told me that the irregular tire wear would continue unless the drive axle condition was corrected.

Find a spring shop for medium and heavy trucks, not a lift kit installer. Have them take a look. Keep all documents and go after a reimbursement from Itasca and Frieghtliner. Your story makes it apparent the condition has existed since new. Spring shops for big trucks do exist, they don't need to advertise heavy truckers already know they are there. start with old fashioned yellow pages, they are usually located near big cities.

Bill

If I read and understood your post correctly, It almost sounds as if the service dept. from your dealer is at fault from the beginning. The tech didn't know what he was doing, the service dept. didn't know how to handle it, and the salesman was only concerned with his commission. Or something along those lines. Enough of a smoke screen to get your money and send you on your way. I wouldn't go back again.

If the drive axle alignment can't be corrected to save your new RF tire, I would be POed! Must be a defect in the installation upon build. Or a defect in the components directly associated. Dealer/tech should have noticed that fact, IMHO.

A local large truck spring shop may help. Or if you have a Freightliner dealer close by capable of large vehicle alignment of all axles might be another option.
Regardless, I'm thinking you may have some sort of claim against Freightliner and the dealer. IF you can prove it. It appears you can. Best of luck.

Doubt with the advent of time (12 years) I have any recourse - I just want to get a handle on the problem. Sent my note to Freightliner and received a response. Talked to the local Freightliner Service Center Manager and he said they could indeed align the drive axle. Have an appointment next week for them to do just that.

Don't know why they did not check the drive axle alignment during previous alignments - maybe that is not included in a normal alignment?!?

One of the problems with irregular tire wear is that it continues even when the "problem" is repaired.  That's why it's very important to catch it early.  This is the place that can repair it right the first time.  Worth the drive from anywhere you are! Make the call, talk to Chad, 913-709-6199 in Kansas City.  His email is [email protected]  He has a work bay at:

Steve's Mobile Maintenance
617 Armourdale Parkway
Kansas City, KS 66105

I'd copy what you've said in this post and email him.  Mention Kevin Rutherford from Letstruck.com. They work together and Kevin talks about him a lot on his show.  I haven't had a problem with my steer tires since I saw him.  The problem with Freightliner is that one day the mechanic may be working on an emissions problem on a Detroit, the next day it's on a Cummins, then he works on AC, and now he gets your alignment problem.  So if I have an alignment issue, I take it to Chad, engine, it goes to Cummins, AC, I look for an AC shop. 

I can't imagine how the drive axle would have any effect on tire wear.  Usually if the drive axle is not aligned properly you will feel a vibration through the whole vehicle.  And if not repaired will cause transmission and rear axle.  So I would certainly get that adjusted.  Then I'd head up to KC to finally get the alignment corrected.  Good luck with it.

Drive axle out of alignment will cause it to dog track and push on one corner, it is common problem usually it is caught early on. It will not cause any vibrations!!!  Heavy truck  spring shops usually the best places for alignments. I got my gasser aligned and the tech (an old guy at a heavy truck spring shop) checked four wheel alignment. As for not being able to center steering wheel, BS.

I like your style, Sides!  ;) 

As indicated earlier, I have an appointment with the local Freightliner Service Center on Wednesday. Will report after the service.

99WinAdventurer37G said:
I can't imagine how the drive axle would have any effect on tire wear.  Usually if the drive axle is not aligned properly you will feel a vibration through the whole vehicle.

Don't confuse an out of balance problem with an alignment problem.
All axles should track straight and true with each other in a properly aligned vehicle. Large truck alignment shops with laser alignment racks can do this. A dog tracking (out of alignment) axle puts undue pressure onto another corner of the vehicle. Causing excessive tire wear on the tire/tires on that corner. As well as excessive tire wear on the axle that is out of alignment in the first place. If no out of balance issue is involved (thrown wheel weight, bad tire), and/or the misalignment is slight, no vibration need be felt.

denmarc said:
Don't confuse an out of balance problem with an alignment problem.
All axles should track straight and true with each other in a properly aligned vehicle. Large truck alignment shops with laser alignment racks can do this. A dog tracking (out of alignment) axle puts undue pressure onto another corner of the vehicle. Causing excessive tire wear on the tire/tires on that corner. As well as excessive tire wear on the axle that is out of alignment in the first place. If no out of balance issue is involved (thrown wheel weight, bad tire), and/or the misalignment is slight, no vibration need be felt.

I used a large truck alignment shop with laser alignment equipment last week - he told me that the rear axle was out of alignment, but could NOT be aligned?!?  Contacted Freightliner, they say it can be, and directed me back to the local Freightliner Service Center ($$$). Will see in the morning.
Edit: Fixed quote.

I must be honest in saying I have never driven a MH. But have been a trucker for over 30 years. I have driven International, Peterbuilt, Kenworth, and Freightliner thousands of miles each. I am currently driving a '15 International.
The drive axles on every one of those trucks can be aligned. It may involve moving the mounts of the axle to the frame rails, which may be what Freightliner is thinking. But it can be done.
Your MH being a '03, big bucks out of pocket.

Let us know what you find out. I'm curious. 

Had a fun morning at Freightliner Service.
From the Service Invoice: "Measure the rear axle offset. The rear axle is only 1/8" on the target over the length of the coach. Good. No further action taken."
"Found the front axle toe in set to 1/16" toed out. Corrected to 1/16" toed in.
Added a caster shim to correct the caster split from -1/4 deg to -3/4 deg split."

So, even though after $435.25, the front end is aligned, the coach has new tires. I do not think anything was accomplished with respect to the irregular tire wear. I guess this adds credence to the saying: "You pays yer money and takes yer chances."  ???    ???

Back
Top Bottom