Is 4wd useful as a toad?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
WOW - I can't believe all the great feedback!  Thank you everyone.

I do like to hike and photography is at the top of the list.  Sometime in the near future I see a 4wd vehicle sitting outside.

-Eric

Eric,

We owned two Geo Trackers and two Suzuki Grand Vitaras. Loved all of them. Great little off road vehicles that provided us with many wonderful off road trips. They couldn't compare to a Jeep with beefed up suspension but did an admiral job of traversing trails that even the Rangers told us were not driveable!

I would have purchased another GV but, due to an engine compartment reconfiguration, I could not install the M&G braking system which I consider the best. Ended up purchasing an all wheel drive GMC Terrain which will not be able to traverse many of the trails we used to love. I will miss it greatly.

I used to be put in front of many forum off road trips. Because I had the lowest clearance the rest knew if I could get through, they all could!

utahclaimjumper said:
It can also be 4Wdrive and NOT a Jeep.>>>Dan

What? 

That's blasphemy.  What other 4-wheel drive is there but a Jeep?

Just kidding of course, but like others have mentioned getting off of the beaten path is very enjoyable.

I tell my wife that life begins where the pavement ends.

We have thoroughly enjoyed all of our past Jeeps, we have owned an XJ (Cherokee) and two ZJs (Grand Cherokees) and just purchased a four-door JK Rubicon for our toad.  We like to explore old mining towns and other places that have roads that are made of dirt.  We do somewhat moderate to hardcore trails but also enjoy a leasurely dirt road drive that takes up back to some of the most beautiful country that you can imagine.

There is nothing like packing a lunch and heading off-road for the day to enjoy the outdoors.

Mike.

seilerbird said:
... The cool thing was the fact that the yellow VW is a 2WD and it went everywhere the 4WDs went. Of course there are plenty of places the 4WDs can go that the VW can go. ...

Note that Mike & Wendy's VW has oversized tires and, perhaps, other mods to improve its off-road ability.

Just a note here, about Jeeps. You don't have to get a Rubicon for off-roading. Our 2003 Wrangler Sport is pretty capable in itself, more so than most 4WD other than Jeeps (partly due to the short wheelbase and short overhang front and rear). However if you want severe, rather than moderate or less, off-roading, you'll want the Rubicon.

Note that when a forum off-road trip is led by Terry and Betty, or by Frank and Barb, you'll get some good instruction and some excellent help, too.

Larry N. said:
Note that when a forum off-road trip is led by Terry and Betty, or by Frank and Barb, you'll get some good instruction and some excellent help, too.

Would people be willing to pull my car out of trouble if my Prius gets stuck going over a pine-cone?  ;D

I really appreciate all the great feedback.  I'm leaning toward a used Grand Vitara for the best of both worlds but the Jeeps are very enticing also with the high ground clearance.

EMan508 said:
Would people be willing to pull my car out of trouble if my Prius gets stuck going over a pine-cone?  ;D

Sure no problemo, Just carry your own tow strap!  On a recent off road trail in Yuma with our 4x4 Club,  Terry rescued a couple of Marines with a tow stap and with an air compressor.

Let the fun begin!
Betty

While off-roading is not a pastime for us like others here the all wheel drive on our CRVs has pulled us through washes in AZ, gravel in Alsaka, sand on the beaches of both coasts, and even a little ice and snow before we left WA seven years ago.

In my opinion...YES!  Get a 4wd!  Many of the state and National Parks have primitive backcountry roads open only to 4wd vehicles: Big Bend NP, Padre Island National Seashore, Great Sand Dunes NP, lists goes on.  A 4wd drive gives you the opportunity to get back into the remote areas of these marvelous parks where most people can't go.  Check out there websites and read for yourself. 

Good luck hunting and God Bless!

I have a TT and my usual tow vehicles are both high clearance 4wd.

In Minnesota the legal climate has made true offroad 4x4ing nearly impossible due to a combination of road closures and restrictions on public lands, and wetlands regulations prohibiting mudding on private lands.  The real reasons have much to do with conflict between motorized and nonmotorized recreation.  There has been a loss of interest in traditional 4x4ing with a move towards ATVs by most hunters and other recreational users and with that many of the offroad trails that do remain open are not wide enough for a Jeep.

That said, part of the reason my setup is the way it is is that either tow vehicle is capable of offroad operation in any area that can accommodate the longer wheelbase and wider body.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GandalfTheGrey
Back
Top Bottom