Is a 30 to 50 amp adaptor needed sometimes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ross W

Hello, My travel trailer is 30 amps and I'm wondering if there are times when a 50 amp service is the only option. Should I have a 30 to 50 amp adaptor on hand in cases where there's only 50 amp? Or do most 50 amp services have a 30 amp plug alongside the 50? I'm fairly new to RV'ing and finding some of things I've purchased already, may never be used or chances of using it are minimal.

Thanks!

I would get one. Depending on where you stay, the 30A connector is so overused the plug won't stay in snugly and could cause potential issues. The 50A are usually less used and don't have this issue.

Yes, you will need an adapter. I have a Valterra brand that I use for our motorhome. The motorhome is only 30 amp, but I always use the adapter and plug into the 50 amp receptacle. I do this for three reasons. One, the 50 receptacle is generally in better shape than the 30 amp. Two, a lot of times, the 30 amp breaker has been tripped many times in the past, and is weak, giving nuisance trips. Three, useless something is drastically wrong, the 50 amp won't trip. The 30 amp main breaker in the RV will protect the system. If it trips, I don't have to go outside to reset it.
Yes, most often there is a 30 amp receptacle along with the
50 amp receptacle, but there are isolated instances where there's not.

I have been on ONE site that was 50 amp only and I've been in a park where my neighbor's 30 amp plug would not connect to the the 30 amp outlet but DID connect to my 30-50 adapter.. He now had one of his own.  I would recommend it. also a 30-15

Check out the adapters manufactured by Progressive Industries. They are real beefy.

https://www.progressiveindustries.net/30-50-adapter

We were at two sites last July that had only 50 amp service. Without an adapter on board, we'd have been out of luck.

Welcome to the RV Forum william7757

As you can see it's a good idea to have the adapter on hand. I also have adapters to use the 50 amp or the 15 amp as needed. of course if using the 15 then you will have to limit what you use inside the the RV.

Yes, get one just in case.  The first 7 years of our camping, we never needed one in our TT, and then our 5th wheel.  Then it happened...the only site available was a 50 amp post.  We had to buy one.  Luckily (well, considering the price, lucky for them), the camp store had one.  So now I have one.  That was in 2012.  I haven't used it since.  But I have it just in case.

If you travel to a lot of different campgrounds, sooner or later you will encounter one where some or all the sites are 50A only.  You may also choose to use the 50A outlet instead of the 30A, as HomerJay mentioned.  I'd make the adapter a low-priority purchase.

I carry everything needed to go all the way down to 15amp 120v.  You never know what you may encounter. I use 15amp 110 when my 5th wheel is in my pole barn, just to power the charger/iconverter!

william7757 said:
Hello, My travel trailer is 30 amps and I'm wondering if there are times when a 50 amp service is the only option. Should I have a 30 to 50 amp adaptor on hand in cases where there's only 50 amp? Or do most 50 amp services have a 30 amp plug alongside the 50? I'm fairly new to RV'ing and finding some of things I've purchased already, may never be used or chances of using it are minimal.

Thanks!

absolutely, they don't cost that much to begin with.

It is rare that you will find a site with only a 50 amp outlet, what is less rare is to find a site with a damaged, broken, or missing 30 amp outlet and a working 50 amp

I'm sitting in a park right now using my 30 to 50 amp adapter.  Pima County Fairgrounds just east of Tucson.

When they laid out their RV park they placed one electrical pedestal for every other space.  Each pedestal has two 50 amp outlets, so a 30 to 50 amp adapter is required if your RV has a 30 amp plug.

I also have a 15 amp to 30 amp adapter to use when needed.

This is a nice park, BTW.  Out of the city yet convenient to everything.  Open year round except for special events.  $30 a night for full hookups minus 10% Good Sam or 15% Escapees discounts, $150 a week.  Or $20 a night to boondock without hookups.

When we had 30 amp coaches, as others have said, we most often used our 50/30 adapter when the 30 amp outlet or breaker was in poor condition. We have occasionally found sites with 50 amp only outlets as well though. 

Electrical adapters are one of those things you need to carry "just in case" - which tends to happen when least expected.  So, yes, we've carried various adapters in every RV we've had, regardless of amperage.  We also carry several lengths of water hoses and sewer hoses.  There is no such thing as "standard" when it comes to campground site layout so you need to be prepared to stretch things out, so to speak.  Also, we've had cases where something on our utility post didn't work but we were able to use the one in a nearby site that did work.

ArdraF

Gary RV_Wizard said:
It sure is fun to spend Other People's Money!

Agree. Not only should you get one, you should get a gold plated one  ;)

Gary RV_Wizard said:
It sure is fun to spend Other People's Money!

It's hard to feel bad about recommending a $15-$18 item that can be picked up at most Walmart stores. Especially an item that when you need it, you need it now... ;)

Sure, but many RVers have never even seen a 30/50 adapter, let alone needed one. Many go to the same few places all the time and always encounter the same set-up. It's those of us that travel widely that see all sorts of different hook-us.

It's very much a your mileage may vary sort of thing.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kevinapple
Back
Top Bottom