Is about 500 miles doable in a day?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ReadytoRVDK

Wasn't sure which board to put this on.

This is going to be the first long trip with our 5th wheel.  Our destination is about 1000 miles and we'd like to try to do it in two days if practical.  Google maps shows the first planned night stop  at  497 miles and 8 hrs.  We've driven the route in the past and the speed limit for the majority of that distance is 65. It's also 95% 4 lane, US Hwy .  I'm guessing roughly about a 10 hour day (500 miles / 60 mph + 1.5 hrs for stops)

Is this doable with decent weather conditions? No high winds or rain.  We both travel fairly well, stopping every couple of hours to stretch.

You'll be tired.  Will the wife drive a tad on open road?  I think if you have a solid truck with room to spare, (not at 95% everything, white knuckle driving), it is doable if you feel comfortable.  But 1st long trip, you might be asking too much of yourself, and if you are exhausted after 2 days, takes away from the relaxing part. I pulled my TT 350 miles each way a couple weeks ago.  I was getting tired at the end of the drive.  Maybe buy some no-dose caffeine pills, they beat soda caffeine and potty breaks. Pretty cheap, 1 pill equiv to 1 cup coffee, 200mg. 

Many folks here prefer shorter driving days. But, if you're on a compressed schedule (e.g. on short vacation from work), and if you share the driving, it might be doable. But only you and your co-driver would know that. Spencer makes a good point re this being your first trip.

500 is my limit, I've had that stretch to over 12 hours with fuel stops and unexpected weather and road conditions. 12 hours means rolling at 7am, and just starting setup for the evening at 7pm. Not a fun day. 350 is much more comfortable.

Yes many do it all the time, including me.  basically 8 hour trips. 530 miles to my sons in Eugene, 530 miles to Coos Bay, 640 miles  to our daughters in Portland, 525 miles to Las Vegas, these are one shot trips for us and we have no problem driving it many times. Once we get over 600 miles we are ready to end the drive for a night if not close to the destination. Not everyone has the time frame to do a 200-300 mile leg. I don't mind driving 8 hrs to get somewhere. On the way home from Qrtz. this past Jan. we made a detour to stop by a buddies place in Murrieta Ca, that was about 650 miles that day getting home here in N. Ca with the detour. Everyone is different and has different tolerances. Someday when my wife retires, we'll have to try those 300 mile legs on a trip,,,gregg

I think you'll find most of us here on the RV Forum figure that no matter how well we do with traffic, road construction, pit stops, etc., the most we can expect is an average of 50 miles per hour.  Remember when you use a calculator like Google maps, they figure going the posted speed limit for the entire distance.  If the speed limit is 75 mph or even 80 mph like we have in a few western states, you really don't want to go that fast in an RV.  It's just too dangerous and not worth it in case of a blowout or other emergency.  In fact many states have lower speed limits for trailers or vehicles with three or more axles.  That includes ANY vehicle that tows, motorhomes with a tag axle, motorhomes that tow a car, and it includes some RV trailers that have three axles.  For example, our maximum speed limit in California is 55 mph because we have a tag and tow.

Also, you might want to consider how maintaining a higher speed might affect your trailer and its contents.  We knew a family who had a Class A motorhome.  With several drivers they drove almost around the clock from San Francisco to Florida and said they averaged 65 mph for the entire trip.  They had trouble understanding why their cabinets started coming loose from the walls!  Probably just going through Louisiana on I-10 with all its potholes was enough to cause the damage, but doing it for three days straight across the country was foolhardy.

As a practical matter, you'll find that driving an RV is sometimes more fatiguing than a car because you have to be much more alert to stay in your lane and watch for the dummies who don't know you can't stop as fast as them or those who enter a freeway without paying attention to who else might be coming up on them or the people who really don't want a big vehicle in front of them and do everything possible to pass said vehicle even if they endanger themselves and everyone around them.  I'm with RVMommaTo6, please do yourself and others on the road a favor and plan on driving slower even if it takes an extra day.

ArdraF

My drive times posted were driving the camper and the Coos trips are towing a boat, yea it's not driving 55 mph, screw that, really almost no one drives 55 in a Rv or towing a trailer, some do I get that. Not hard to maintain 65 on a Interstate out here in the west, some mountain roads are 60 on the Interstate in places, 55 in the worst areas but those are not that long of a stretch then changing back to 65 and up. 8 - 8 1/2 hours in the seat is a good target if you have limited time and need to get somewhere. The OP was asking if it is reasonable to put in 500 miles a day, yes it is,,,gregg

ReadytoRVDK said:
Wasn't sure which board to put this on.

This is going to be the first long trip with our 5th wheel.  Our destination is about 1000 miles and we'd like to try to do it in two days if practical.  Google maps shows the first planned night stop  at  497 miles and 8 hrs.  We've driven the route in the past and the speed limit for the majority of that distance is 65. It's also 95% 4 lane, US Hwy .  I'm guessing roughly about a 10 hour day (500 miles / 60 mph + 1.5 hrs for stops)

Is this doable with decent weather conditions? No high winds or rain.  We both travel fairly well, stopping every couple of hours to stretch.
ReadytoRVDK
Best allow an hour for every 500 miles, (with a fuel stop and rest stops).
If you are comfortable driving 10 hours each day you will be fine.

Figuring 50 MPH, including fuel and rest stops, is a pretty accurate number for us. There are times when we have to push hard and cover a lot of miles, due to limited vacation time. Can't do it for more than a couple of days though.

As to actual speed, 60 to 65 MPH seems to be the sweet spot for fuel ecomony and travel distance.

I see you are in Pensacola.  I travel through their often and just did 750 miles through there last week in 1 day (no trailer). I would say it depends on where you are going. Interestate.....no problem. 4 lane US Hwy with multiple cities to slow down in....miserable.

Raptor

RVMommaTo6 said:
Technically? Yes. Advisable? Nope.
In my opinion, you can do a 500 mile day if you're pushing it. But 2 in a row, it's just too much. I think you'll be happier splitting it into 3 days instead.

What I would say but RVM beat me to it.

You don't say if you are a seasoned TT tower and have just upgraded to a 5er,or if this is your first trailer. If you are a newby, we were ALL there at one time, there will be a stress factor your first time out for long distance towing that will lead to fatigue also. If you can, break it up into 3 days and enjoy the trip.
Better safe than sorry!

I have done it pulling a trailer but it sure wasn't fun, I was exhausted and definitely not alert. We split the driving but it wasn't restful trying to sleep. 250-300 miles per day is more realistic but that is still more than this old retired guy likes. It is supposed to be a vacation.

It's absolutely doable, it's just a matter of experience and personal choice. 
We sometimes do 600 miles a day (see attached map) while towing our 31' travel trailer; spending 10 to 12 hours on the road.  My wife and I (we're both 64) don't need long breaks during the drive nor do we enjoy arriving early or staying late at our overnight stops (many times it's a travel center/truck stop).  We do find that having Sirius XM radio makes the drive more enjoyable.  BTW, while I do the driving, she does all of the navigating/phone calls/arrangements on the road ahead/and finding fuel.  This absolutely keeps my job of driving the truck simple (the trailer always follows).
Basically, it boils down to a bit of planning, the condition/type of the roads you're traveling on, and how comfortable/experienced you are at towing. 

It's all about enjoying your adventure safely and at your own pace...

Attachments

• RVtravels2019.jpg
    RVtravels2019.jpg
    168.9 KB · Views: 26
300-350 / day is about right. Not too taxing and gets you into a park early enough to not be in the dark.

I am with the others, 500 miles in a day is pushing it.  I could easily do 500 miles in a day in my car, however in my motorhome, anything over 300-350 is pushing it, and every time I have pushed that past 400 I have looked back and thought I really should not have done that.  Last year I did 499 miles in one day (12 hours to the minute from departure to stopping for the night, all but 50 miles on interstate), the only reason I pushed it that far was to get through a major city on a Sunday evening at sunset vs on a Monday.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jamiluu
Back
Top Bottom