Is adding 2nd ac really plug and play? (30amp camper)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Johnsonty131

2021 Kodiak bhsl says prepped for 2nd unit in bedroom. I know to get one with thermostat knob on the unit. Once it’s on roof is it pretty simple for the average joe to hook up and seal? Also what about electric? It’s 30a so how would I run both units.

This is what I was going off of so I’m assuming. It is 30amp though

Attachments

• IMG_0545.png
    IMG_0545.png
    122.7 KB · Views: 7
If it says that it is prewired for another air conditioner, that means that the wires to carry 120V power to the unit are there and should probably be insulated on the ends and may have a separate circuit breaker installed for it, but in some cases the wires are there at both ends but no circuit breaker is installed, just a place to put one. If the power cord is 30A then using two of them would be pretty limited but by how much would depend on the size of each air conditioner. The most common sizes are 13,500 BTU and 15,000 BTU but Dometic has one that is 10,500 BTU and Coleman has one at 11,000 BTU. The smaller units will draw about 7A when running, mid size 8-10A running and the 15k usually need 10-13A running and any of those will need several times that when the compressor starts. A circuit breaker will only allow a continuous load of about 80% of the rating or 24A. On a 30A supply, if we assume the a/c that you have now is 15,000 BTU then you would have about 15A remaining when it is operating and it would run a second air conditioner, if nothing else was operating, or with only small loads. Keep in mind that your 120V/12V converter will demand at least some current all of the time when plugged in so that probably means that you could only count on about 20A total for other things.

It is not true that all RVs with 2 air conditioners or 1 and prep for another are wired for 50A service. It has become pretty common for those with 2 a/c units to have a 50A power cord but it is far from the standard and the size of your 30A cord does not say that your RV isn't prewired for one. You can tell if it is by checking your 120V distribution panel for a second a/c circuit breaker or provision for one with the wires there. There would also be wires for power in the ceiling that you could see by removing the bedroom roof vent assembly. If you do choose to put in a second a/c, I would recommend one of the smaller units and if you don't understand electricity, get some qualified help.

EDIT: I just looked at RV Trader and I found a 2021 Kodiak bhsl listed there for sale that has a second a/c and 30A service so it is pretty safe to assume that yours is prewired.

Last edited:
A guess would be that it's prepped to mount the 2nd unit, but that a separate power connection to shore power (or to your generator, if installed) would be needed. Many smaller motorhomes have 30 amp power but the second A/C has a separate plugin or it has a switch to choose which A/C runs.

I see Kirk finished while I was typing -- good info there.

I found the following. It says there it comes with the 13.5k BTU A/C, but there is an option to have a 15,000 BTU IPO the standard 13.5k one. Therefore, I would guess 30 amp service.

You'd need a power management system (pms), load shedding capability, to run two 13.5k btu units on a 30 amp system, which is not at all uncommon. Having soft start capacitors in both units wouldn't hurt either.

Kirk is exactly right. I had a 1976 Allegro motorhome that was 30A service and had 2 A/C units. One unit was wired to the same circuit as the microwave oven. Both were powered through a 120VAC 3-way switch. Center position cut power to both A/C and Microwave, one direction powered microwave, the other position powered the 2nd A/C unit.
IMO there is no need for an expensive energy management system when a 3-way switch controls the circuit.

Kirk is exactly right. I had a 1976 Allegro motorhome that was 30A service and had 2 A/C units. One unit was wired to the same circuit as the microwave oven. Both were powered through a 120VAC 3-way switch. Center position cut power to both A/C and Microwave, one direction powered microwave, the other position powered the 2nd A/C unit.
IMO there is no need for an expensive energy management system when a 3-way switch controls the circuit.
For the same reason you’d use a timer to operate your sprinkler system. You could do it manually, it's less a pita, but costs more to have an automatic system.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tensch
Back
Top Bottom