Is All Water Filtered?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rrfpacker

Dumb question, I know. But I'm not near the motorhome until tomorrow and I was told today that the water smells a bit fishy (we filled up at the last place we stayed which was next to a river).

As we talked about draining the fresh water tank and refilling the question came up as to whether shore water went through the filter. We are pretty sure fresh tank water does because the pump is located next to the filter.

I know it might take a couple of flushings and some chlorine to clean out the fresh tank, but the question still lingered.

Mine does not.  It is plumbed to filter water that we use for drinking, and coffee etc. but we don't filter water for showers, for example.  You need to look at where the line runs to see how yours is set up.

As COMer said, you will have to look. If you have a drinking water spigot next to the sink, it will be filtered. The water for the ice maker (if equipped), is likely fed from the same filter as well. Water feeds to other things may not be. For a city water connection, if the spigot is in place, will likely be filtered too. We use an external 'whole house' type of paper filter on the city water before it enters the RV and a charcoal (whole house type) filter (built-in the trailer) under the sink for drinking water and the ice maker feed.

Water fed into the tank itself is neither filtered from the gravity feed input nor the city water diverter valve installed for that purpose in our case.

Almost every water pump has an associated screen to get out the largest sediment before it gets into the pump, but it's a very basic screen (and should be cleaned periodically.)  However, this is usually bypassed when you are doing a tank-fill from your city water hookup as usually this doesn't pass through the filter/pump on the way to the tank.

If you have a whole house filter on the input side, you might consider how long the filter cartridge has been in use.  If you are unsure that you have one, it probably needs changing when you do your dump/refill.

A tired carbon type in-line filter will cause water to taste "fishy."  Check your filter.

Back
Top Bottom