Is it okay to run propane while driving?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kolnesdksj

Dealer said no but I've heard others say it's okay....figured I'd ask the professionals.  Can I run the refrigerator on propane while driving down the road?
What about heat and/or hot water?

Thanks,
Dave

I always do, but I know there are conflicting opinions on that.  I don't run hot water though, not because of any safety concerns, but because I only run that when I need it.  The water heater doesn't take very long to heat up so I don't see any advantage to leaving it on.  I generally don't run the heater, just because I like it cool anyway and the dash heat is plenty for the type of RVing that we do, at least while we're driving.  I usually set the thermostat on about 62 or so at night when we're camping.

Many, many run the fridge on propane while driving as do I. Might want to turn off the fridge while refueling, though. I would not run the water heater. Use the campgrounds electricity. The water will heat quickly enough.

I run my refrigerator on propane if I'm traveling more than about 4 hours. However if I'm using the generator for cooling, then the fridge runs off it anyway. No harm either way, just be sure to turn everything off when refueling.

I run those systems you mention except for the water heater since the pilot always seems to blow out when I am driving any distance.  Same with the heater.  Easy enough to turn them on when I stop.

We travel for 6-7 months continuous. During that time the only time the propane is off is when refueling. The refrigerator stays on auto so it will use electric when the generator is running or we are on shore power, otherwise it runs on propane. We turn the water heater on only when we need it, on gas if we are on metered electric or boondocking, otherwise electric. After showering or washing dishes, etc. we turn the water heater off until needed next - the water stays warm for quite a while.

Corret me if I am wrong but if you turn off the propane when refueling, doesn't the refridgerator continue to try to ignite? I believe that simply turning off the refer stops the flame and the igniter from working.

Technically, no because a leak is more likely to develop while underway due to roadvibration. A lesser reason is the danger of forgetting to shut off the running apliances before fueling (that should be done before pulling up to the pumps). That said, many, if not most, do it without problems. Personally, unless towing in freezing weather and heat is necessary to prevent freezing the water system, I don't see any real need to run any propane appliances. Unless traveling for a really long time during the day, the refrigerator will stay cold enough during the trip as long as the doors are kept shut. Three-ways can run on 12v while underway and, if run off an inverter, a two-way could run on 120v. As pointed out, water heaters can reheat a tank of water fairly quickly (an hour or so) and furnaces don't need that much time to kill the chill.

We've been running the refrigerator on propane while driving for 35+ years.  Back when we started RVing, no one gave a thought to it and it's only in the last few years that the subject has come up.

ArdraF

ArdraF said:
We've been running the refrigerator on propane while driving for 35+ years.  Back when we started RVing, no one gave a thought to it and it's only in the last few years that the subject has come up.

ArdraF

"Curiouser and curiouser," said Jeannie (apologies to Lewis Carroll). I've heard warning against it off and on for the past 40 years.

I leave mine on propane, if fueling we turn the fridge to off.  Back on the road, turn back to auto.  Some people won't use a cell phone near a gas pump.  Thing is, if you always turn everything off the only problem is it might not turn back on.  There you go something else to raise concerns.

Retired CSIGuy said:
REF is fine.  Other stiff no

While not normally necessary, there's no reason not to run the water heater while traveling.  And if in very cold conditions, I would certainly run the furnace if needed.  I don't advocate cooking on the stove top or using the oven, however :)

I don't advocate cooking on the stove top or using the oven, however

I even used to do that in the 1970s when we were working and had liminted time with long driving days.  I'd put pork chops in the oven and they'd be baked when we were ready to stop for the night.

ArdraF

Does it hurt the refer to run on propane while driving up steep mountain grades?  I suppose my question is how long can you run the refer at angle without damaging it. 

As long as you're moving, the refrigerator will be fine.  You won't be at any particular angle for long enough to cause a problem and the normal movement of the RV helps as well.

Corret me if I am wrong but if you turn off the propane when refueling, doesn't the refridgerator continue to try to ignite? I believe that simply turning off the refer stops the flame and the igniter from working.

You are correct. Don't turn the propane tank off when fueling - turn the propane appliances off.

No state fire marshal or DOT has warned against or prohibited propane use while underway. Nor has the NFPA, which sets propane safety standards. In an accident, you are at far greater risk from spilled motor fuel than the possibility of a propane leak and fire.

That said, low chance is not the same as no chance, and some people prefer to err on the side of caution. And a couple insurance companies have recommended against it, but they are in the business of zero risk. Do whatever makes you feel comfortable.

Ned said:
As long as you're moving, the refrigerator will be fine.  You won't be at any particular angle for long enough to cause a problem and the normal movement of the RV helps as well.

Thanks Ned.  I also want to thank everyone for a very helpful thread. 

Back
Top Bottom