Is it possible to use electric coffee maker while driving?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I used to make a pot along the way, previous rig had one of those under cabinet coffee makers and it held the pot quite firmly. Now, although the maker we have also holds the pot well, I changed tactics. I make a couple quarts of strong coffee and keep it in the fridge. Sometimes I want hot, in which case I bring a cup to temp in about 3 minutes in the microwave. Other times I have it iced.

I have a keurig machine screwed to the countertop.  I'd like to get an inverter for that outlet circuit....bit for now I run the generator.
A few times I've been places where I didn't want to or couldn't run the genny early in the AM..... ugh.  I finally figured out to cut open a k-cup, dump the grounds into a pot of water..... and filter through a paper towel after steeping
desperate times.... and the coffee actually tasted better!  Been thinking about getting a press as a backup

kdbgoat said:
That's pretty much what a Keurig is, just a little more automation.
Actually, the keurig is just a fancy twist to drip coffee.  Really not a whole lot different than a mr. coffee in my estimation.... cutting open the k-cup, it's just grounds sitting in a tiny little paper filter
I'm learning that what I did....boiling the grounds, is what the "coffee snob french press people" are after.... it doesn't release some of the nasty compounds from the coffee that you get with drip coffee apparently.  What I discovered in my desperation that morning, is that those coffee snobs are onto something.  The coffee form that dissected k-cup really was noticeably "better"....strong but smooth.  Since then, I've done it a few more times when in situations where i couldn't run the genny so I know it's not just some fluke....

kdbgoat said:
It's hard to use a coffee maker if it's in the sink. ;D

Not at all... Setting it up is easy enough, since the water is right there. When the pot is done brewing, we just pull out the grounds basket and tip the machine back a little so we can easily lift out the full pot with out spilling. We have our Airpot carafe secured in the other half of the double sink, so even if a little bit spills while filling it, it just goes in the sink.

blw2 said:
I have a keurig machine screwed to the countertop.  I'd like to get an inverter for that outlet circuit....bit for now I run the generator.
A few times I've been places where I didn't want to or couldn't run the genny early in the AM..... ugh.  I finally figured out to cut open a k-cup, dump the grounds into a pot of water..... and filter through a paper towel after steeping
desperate times.... and the coffee actually tasted better!  Been thinking about getting a press as a backup

With our Mr Coffee machine in that situation, we just heat up a pan of water on the stove and pour it through the grounds basket from the top.

Wow!....who knew I can even use my crockpot while on the road!  That will save $$$ from eating out (not from doing dishes though LOL).

Coffee and crockpot and we are set for vacation.

Will update you all on our trial run later tomorrow!  Fingers crossed.

Thanks so much to everyone that posted and to JTsBoss, happy my post made your morning.....smiling/laughing keeps us all healthy  :))

We us a one cup pot all the time on the road.  If not running the generator for the roof air, it gets turned on for coffee and then off when the coffee is done.  My DW stays with the pot while it is brewing.  We only do this on the highway in light traffic to cut down on the chance of hard breaking.

John and Becky
2004 Alfa See Ya DP

There are two problems with Keurig machines.. ONE is mountains and mountains of non-recyclable and non biodegradable K Kups

The other is that for Genuine Keurige machines with the possible (I AM NOT SURE) exception of the model 10.. You can not run them dry.. There is always water in the machine

So if it's in the RV in Michigan in January.. You buy a new machine

And if you let it sit for a while.. Stagnant water is not nice.

I have a 3rd party job I got at Fred's (A southern Discount chain with pharmacy) that like most auto-drip when it's done brewing,  there is no remaining water.

John From Detroit said:
There are two problems with Keurig machines.. ONE is mountains and mountains of non-recyclable and non biodegradable K Kups

The other is that for Genuine Keurige machines with the possible (I AM NOT SURE) exception of the model 10.. You can not run them dry.. There is always water in the machine...

And if you let it sit

They do make refillable K  cups and Keurig offers a very small one that makes just one cup at a time with whatever you pour into the top.

I agree Keurig's do have issues. We have 3 of them. One is one of them that seems to keep water in it all the time. One has a "drain" function, but the pump is noisy, and the third is a single cup model where you have to put in water for each cup you make. That's the one that stays in the motorhome.

Amazing!  It really does work!  Agree with ronniebellie, coffee is Gods gift to us on the road or just living... ;)

We ordered suggested items and are ready for the road.....Yellowstone and sites along the way, here we come.....

Thank you all very much!

kdbgoat said:
I agree Keurig's do have issues. We have 3 of them. One is one of them that seems to keep water in it all the time. One has a "drain" function, but the pump is noisy, and the third is a single cup model where you have to put in water for each cup you make. That's the one that stays in the motorhome.

I had one of those, but it made the coffee taste like freshly brewed plastic.  Eventually threw it out and went into the walmart where we were staying the night and bought a big one.

They do make refillable K  cups...

There are several 3rd party "refillables" as well as one from Keurig. My favorite is a small plastic cup into which you place a small coffee filter (Walmart sells the filters), then fill it with grounds, then put the lid on before inserting it into the pot. EZ-Cup and JavaJig are two we have, in addition to the My K-Cup form Keurig.

Back
Top Bottom