Is it Possible ??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

blonby1970

We are looking at wanting to purchase our first Rv... Our  budget is 20,000 and Im curious if you think its possible for us to get into a Class A with a slide 32/34 Feet?
If so  what models or manufactures would you suggest I keep a eye out for?

Thank You

Yes, but it will be an older one, probably 12+ years of age.

I just did a search of www.rvt.com for motorhomes under $20,000 and got this list:

http://www.rvt.com/New-and-Used-Class-A---Gas-RVs-For-Sale-On-RVT.com/results?type=Class+A+-+Gas&pricemax=20,000&searchtype=search

Yes it is possible to find a starter coach you won't have to put to much in. The newer the better. Not just because it is newer but because of the upgrades to engines and transmissions tiers suspension and yes slides.
Bill

Based on the above post, I would venture that a weeks vacation in the Orlando, or Tampa area would net just what you want.  Snowbirds come down in their RV's and decide to stay, trade their RV's in on mobile homes which the mobile home dealers have to unload.  You can get some wonderful deals that way.

BLAKDUKE said:
Based on the above post, I would venture that a weeks vacation in the Orlando, or Tampa area would net just what you want.  Snowbirds come down in their RV's and decide to stay, trade their RV's in on mobile homes which the mobile home dealers have to unload.  You can get some wonderful deals that way.

I am not afraid to have a nice drive home lol  I'm in Oregon so I will have to check into this thank you

Since you're on the west coast, take a look at Craigslist for the Phoenix/Tucson/Yuma areas.  Same thing - snowbirds come down, then for one reason or another don't want to drive the rig back home.

Arizona is closer to you than Florida.

Condition is everything, and you can find lightly used rigs, or ones of any vintage that have been rode hard and put away wet.  I wouldn't rule out a 1990s rig in good condition - that's when the gas chassis manufacturers made significant improvements in efficiency, going from carburetors to fuel injection, from 3 speed to 4 speed transmissions with lock up torque converters, etc.

Before Craigslist, I took a long weekend in April, flew to Phoenix after the snowbirds had left and made a list of all the new and used RV dealers in the greater Phoenix phone book.  Then I rented a car and drove through the areas where most of them were - along Hwy 60/Grand Ave. in northwest Phoenix, then east through Mesa and Apache Junction.  I wound up getting a nice used Class C for significantly less than I would have paid in the Northern CA area.

Lou Schneider said:
Since you're on the west coast, take a look at Craigslist for the Phoenix/Tucson/Yuma areas.  Same thing - snowbirds come down, then for one reason or another don't want to drive the rig back home.

Arizona is closer to you than Florida.

Condition is everything, and you can find lightly used rigs, or ones of any vintage that have been rode hard and put away wet.  I wouldn't rule out a 1990s rig in good condition - that's when the gas chassis manufacturers made significant improvements in efficiency, going from carburetors to fuel injection, from 3 speed to 4 speed transmissions with lock up torque converters, etc.

Before Craigslist, I took a long weekend in April, flew to Phoenix after the snowbirds had left and made a list of all the new and used RV dealers in the greater Phoenix phone book.  Then I rented a car and drove through the areas where most of them were - along Hwy 60/Grand Ave. in northwest Phoenix, then east through Mesa and Apache Junction.  I wound up getting a nice used Class C for significantly less than I would have paid in the Northern CA area.

Your absolutely right and thank you for the information. I am going to see if I can find some web sites for any of those dealers your talking about in the phoenix area plus a big bonus for me is I have family that lives there so hey it could be a little vacation as its only about 1100 miles from me  8)
I was at a dealer last night and he was saying you want the 8.1 work horse whatever that is and the Allison trans I was like oo ok

I feel the same way. I wouldn't buy one on a Ford chassis, so I'll never own a new coach as the GM engine isn't available anymore. I've never driven a coach with a V10, but have with the 460 and didn't care for it. GM has had their problems too, with brakes, and the auto park brake system. So you will get all kinds of opinions. Ford must be doing some things right because they're still in business, where GM isn't, but I'm GM all the way. You hear all kinds of stuff about each manufactures problems with the chassis, but I like my old P30. There has been many changes over the years. I had a older Itasca on a P30 and it had handling issues when passed or passing large trucks. I just figured all MH had this problem as each C class I had in the early years were the same way. The coach I have now isn't so bad, but it has huge sway bars on front and rear. The front looks to be about  1 3/4 and the rears are as big as my wrist. Don't know if they are stock or the original owner had them installed, but they seem to work. Good luck on your search.

92GA said:
I feel the same way. I wouldn't buy one on a Ford chassis, so I'll never own a new coach as the GM engine isn't available anymore. I've never driven a coach with a V10, but have with the 460 and didn't care for it. GM has had their problems too, with brakes, and the auto park brake system. So you will get all kinds of opinions. Ford must be doing some things right because they're still in business, where GM isn't, but I'm GM all the way. You hear all kinds of stuff about each manufactures problems with the chassis, but I like my old P30. There has been many changes over the years. I had a older Itasca on a P30 and it had handling issues when passed or passing large trucks. I just figured all MH had this problem as each C class I had in the early years were the same way. The coach I have now isn't so bad, but it has huge sway bars on front and rear. The front looks to be about  1 3/4 and the rears are as big as my wrist. Don't know if they are stock or the original owner had them installed, but they seem to work. Good luck on your search.

What is that you have now??

blonby1970 said:
)
I was at a dealer last night and he was saying you want the 8.1 work horse whatever that is and the Allison trans I was like oo ok

He was referring to the Workhorse chassis  (which is no longer used by RV manufacturers) with the 8.1 liter Chevy Vortec engine and Allison transmission.  A great combination in the older units.  My 2002 Winnebago has that combo but I am afraid I paid much more than $ 20K for it only a year ago.

Bill N said:
He was referring to the Workhorse chassis  (which is no longer used by RV manufacturers) with the 8.1 liter Chevy Vortec engine and Allison transmission.  A great combination in the older units.  My 2002 Winnebago has that combo but I am afraid I paid much more than $ 20K for it only a year ago.

Thank You

"We are looking at wanting to purchase our first Rv... Our  budget is 20,000 and Im curious if you think its possible for us to get into a Class A with a slide 32/34 Feet?
If so  what models or manufactures would you suggest I keep a eye out for?"

Depending on the year of the MH you'll purchase, the answer is a definite "yes."

As advised, it's best to take a knowledgeable friend or hire a credible source to check things out.

Best to you on your search. And... Make it a fun search!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

92GA said:
I wouldn't buy one on a Ford chassis, so I'll never own a new coach as the GM engine isn't available anymore. I've never driven a coach with a V10, but have with the 460 and didn't care for it.

I've owned a coach with the 460 powered F53 chassis and currently own a Triton V10 powered F53 chassis coach. The difference is day and night. If you're ever looking to upgrade to a newer coach, don't write off the newer F53 chassis without giving it a fair test drive.

Just For Fun said:
"We are looking at wanting to purchase our first Rv... Our  budget is 20,000 and Im curious if you think its possible for us to get into a Class A with a slide 32/34 Feet?
If so  what models or manufactures would you suggest I keep a eye out for?"

Depending on the year of the MH you'll purchase, the answer is a definite "yes."

As advised, it's best to take a knowledgeable friend or hire a credible source to check things out.

Best to you on your search. And... Make it a fun search!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank You

NY_Dutch said:
I've owned a coach with the 460 powered F53 chassis and currently own a Triton V10 powered F53 chassis coach. The difference is day and night. If you're ever looking to upgrade to a newer coach, don't write off the newer F53 chassis without giving it a fair test drive.

Thank You

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TessInBandon
Back
Top Bottom