Is it worth the cost to add a Banks Package

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

artdecamper

I have a 2004 Itasca 32v on a workhorse chassis with the 8.1 GM and Allison.  Is it beneficail to add a Banks package for performance and power and fuel economy increase?

Thanks in advance

ArtDeCamper

I'm certainly no expert here, but it one thing that occurs to me is Banks and other performance enhancers only work when you're moving - whether good systems or not.  So, first, I recommend you look at how you utilize your MH and how you plan to utilize it in the future.  A Banks package might be beneficial if you plan on a lot of road time, especially in the mountains or if towing a dinghy.  On the other hand, if you spend a lot of time in one place, Banks can only help you get there and back.  JMO.

IMHO, Banks sells a performance system at a upscale price.  If you shop around and know what you are looking for you could probably put together similiar parts and get similiar results for less money.  A friend of mine purchased and installed a Banks system on his gasser and liked it. 

I have looked at both Banks and Ultra Power... Ultra Power is less expensive to install and I think you may wish to look at it too.  Brazil's RV I think is what you google for.

Banks is the best system, I have one on my 96 Damon Intruder. You get more power but forget better gas mileage it just won't happen. I still get 8mpg. Iam also of the belief that the best mileage is sitting in your back yard not running.
I'm kidding of course. But it helps me get up the steep passes here in Co. If you've ever went up the Eisenhower tunnel grade you'll know what I mean. Its a long tortureous grade in which you think you'll never get to the 11000 ft summit.And my 460 is really screaming. So there is a difference in power. I dont believe however that you gain 64 hp or whatever is advertised for this system. Would I buy one I really don't know because mine came with the used unit. The labor of installing one costs just as much as the system does Its not for the DYI fan, You have to know what your doing and you really need the coach up on a rack. But you can feel the power increase..

If power is what you crave, it is worth it. If it's fuel economy you are looking for, forget it.  And in either case you can buy a lot of fuel for the price of the full Banks upgrade. Or even one of their lower priced competitors.

Banks makes a fine product, but you don't need it on your 8.1L Workhorse. Especially in a 32v. It would be just icing on the cake. The standard 8.1L engine & Allison tranny will move that rig around in a sprightly manner without spending thousands more on it.

We installed a Banks system in our 07 Adventurer a couple of years ago and we are very pleased with the power increase it provides. We also saw a 1-2 MPG increase as well. However, if you install the system expecting it to pay for itself, then perhaps you should consider another alternative. At a cost of about $3000-$3500 for the full system and and installation costs, the only recovery costs would have to come from improvement in gas mileage. Even with an improvement of 5 MPG (virtually unheard of) it would take many years of full time travel to break even on the system.

Banks makes a great product and in my opinion is worth the money IF power is what you are after.  Fuel economy from my clients comments has not changed so that point is mute.  In a 32' GM platform you probably don't need it, my BIL/SIL have a 33' with the 8.1 GM and it does a great job being stock.  The ones that needed it that I have installed are the 35/36' on up V10 Ford F53 platforms. 

I have installed about a dozen now and people really like the power gains but they are not a necessity.  As far as quality goes I don't think any of the other aftermarket products can compare to the Banks.  Mike.

Back
Top Bottom