Is my Tailgater/211K/XHD working right?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

max49

Is my Tailgater/211K/XHD working right?
I finally got a hard drive that seems to work with my TG & 211K that does'nt make me reformat it every time the electricity goes off and back on.

I tried it and formatted it the first time on shore power. Turned off electricity and later turned the juice back on and it finally did all it's thing and did not make me reformat the HD.
I repeated the same procedure with my 200 watt inverter and it eventually worked again.
All this time, my Tailgater Dish has not been moved.
What I don't like is , when the electricity goes off and turn it back on even a couple minutes later, the 211K's green light comes on for a minute or less, then goes off, but it will not turn on with the remote or the power switch on the 211. A few minutes later, it will turn on like , "I'm here, what's wrong?" The TV and the HD all wake up instantly.
Also , once the 211K wakes up , it has to go through all it's long routine, step 1, 2 ,3 that takes 5 minutes or so, then the TG has to find the satelites even though it should already be aimed at them, that takes 5 or 10 minutes, then it has to down load the TV guide , that can take 10 or 15 minutes.
Is this normal when the electricity goes off for even 10 seconds and the TG dish has not even been moved? If so , is the only way to avoid this wasted half hour , would be leave it plugged into the inverter and let the inverter run 24/7? Does any one do this? Is this hard on the inverter and shorten it's life? Is this an extra substantial drain on the batteries over night, especially if it is furnace season.
I really like the TV , TG and HD giving me the DVR, once it does it's thing but that long routine at getting it going is not going to be worth the hassle unless there is something on that's worth all that hassle.

It's not the antenna, Max. During its "wake up" process, the 211, once it is fully active, tells the antenna to find each of the satellites, forcing it into search mode. My 211 does the same thing with my Carryout, and I can go through the menus to watch each satellite being found. As Tom said, it seems normal to me (annoying, too).

You won't hurt a typical RV inverter by running it constantly -- the only real drawback is battery life when you're not plugged in to shore power.

Yup that is normal for the thing to go through the entire startup procedure.. Kind of like a computer.. It has to POST and then lock on the satellite then handshake and finally it's ready to go.

No, I take that back.. It is not LIKE a computer.... IT IS a computer.

Thanks Tom, Larry and John,
I guess I'll just learn to get used to it. 
I have 3 different inverters I can plug into, a 200W, 300W and a 1500 Watt.  I'm using the 200 watt now because it uses only about .28 amps with no load, I was a little impressed that it could do it.  Does any one have an idea about how many watts the TailGater, 211K, the external hard drive and a 32"  LED TV would need? I wonder if I have room to use the Blue Ray DVD player also?

Also, Larry said " I can go through the menus to watch each satellite being found.",  can I do this and if so, how?

Thanks again,
Max

max49 said:

Also, Larry said " I can go through the menus to watch each satellite being found.",  can I do this and if so, how?

Thanks again,
Max

I don't have mine set up at present, but it's in the setup procedures, two or three levels down. Looking through my downloaded copy of the manual, on page 92:

On the remote control, press MENU, select System Setup, Installation, and then Point
Dish to display the Point Dish screen on the TV.

On that Point Dish page you can watch the green bar (progress indicator) across the bottom. Of the three buttons on the right, the Check Results (I think that's what it reads) will bring up another page you can watch (don't make changes unless you know what you are doing).

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tim Dunn
Back
Top Bottom