Is Renting an RV Economical? Class A rentals?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Larry J

I'm considering a one or two month travel vacation in the US and was wondering how expensive it is to rent RVs.  Are Class A units available to rent or only Class C.  Are there certain rental companies to avoid?  What are the reputable companies.  GoRVing.com hasn't been very helpful in that regard.  I'm on the eastern shore of Virginia.  Thanks.

There are places that rent Class A's, but not as common as C's. Economical is relative: the rental fee seems outrageous but it's paltry compared to the cost of owning one of your own. THE RV industry would like you to think that RV travel is a money saver, but they always ignore the costs of ownership and focus on travel costs alone.  The real value is having the comforts of home handy at all times, e.g. food & beverage in the fridge, your clothes in the closet, etc.

Here's one place you can get a quote on a ClassA rental: http://www.allstarcoaches.com/

I feel renting vehicles in like renting UHaul, rental car or similar. The vehicle itself might do very good for your whole trip or might be prone to failures like some UHaul trucks and rental cars I've seen. Then the house section is kind of like a motel. You have no idea who been sleeping in the bed with any kind of bug problems. (Lice, etc.). Not to mention about the function off everything else in the RV section. Has it been abused. You'll never know.

One of the few reasons I just bought a RV and was done with it. I'm not like most here that full time in a RV but a weekend warrior. My RV is a extension of home.

Thanks for the replies.  I would buy USED, but I would need to sell it after my summer adventure.  I'm concerned that it would take forever to sell and would only get a fraction of what I paid. 

You do not save money by traveling in an RV. The cost of purchase, insurance, maintenance, actual travel, etc. far outweigh staying in motels and hotels. That said, however, exploring America and Canada in your very own apartment/condo on wheels is the only way to travel. It's also about the lifestyle, the wonderful folks you meet along the way, and the opportunities to visit and see things that one would ordinarily miss when traveling by car.

You do not save money by traveling in an RV. The cost of purchase, insurance, maintenance, actual travel, etc. far outweigh staying in motels and hotels.

Depends on RV setup too. Like my setup with a travel trailer there is no real maintenance with trailers. At least for me here in Idaho the RV is covered by the truck insurance. So with a diesel tow vehicle (Dodge Cummins) the only thing I got for maintenance is oil change every 7.5k miles and fuel filter change 30k miles, air filter every 100k miles. Where a motorhome or diesel pusher would have more expenses most likely because now you most likely have to have a toad and now double insurance, double registration double maintenance.  So it all depends on what type of RV and what you plan on doing. There is a certain amount of flexibility gained with a 5th wheel or travel trailer where you can drop the house in a RV park or camp ground and travel with your tow vehicle and sight see.  Where with a motorhome your having to pack up camp and the motorhome before moving each and every time unless again towing a toad.

I will admit motel/hotel staying is OK. But some many time of staying in motel/hotels and smells of the previous person is left behind like cigarette smoke, old pickle juice, you get the picture then you mind starts to think. Now as for RV's if you got a talent for boondocking or federal campgrounds you can save a bunch of money on camping expense.

thomasamski said:
You do not save money by traveling in an RV. The cost of purchase, insurance, maintenance, actual travel, etc. far outweigh staying in motels and hotels. That said, however, exploring America and Canada in your very own apartment/condo on wheels is the only way to travel. It's also about the lifestyle, the wonderful folks you meet along the way, and the opportunities to visit and see things that one would ordinarily miss when traveling by car.

May or may not be true.  Too many variables.  When we took our 3 month trip last year, our average cost of fuel and campgrounds was about $56. a day.  $20 for campgrounds and $36 for fuel.  We could have reduced our campground fees by staying in rest areas and Walmart type parking lots.  Our motorhome averages about 7.5 mpg.  We purchased our motorhome April 2014.  We bought used and got a great price.  New tires, shocks, a new black tank, a fuel pump for the generator and general maintenance for the year added about $10,000.  We could have lived with the tires and shocks for a few more years.  We could have delayed the black tank replacement by always camping at a site with full hookups and not using the toilet when on the road.  Rest stops, fuel stations etc., just like traveling by car.  The insurance on the motorhome $800 a year.  Registration is $152.  Amortizing those costs over a year if full time = $2.60 a day.  Amortizing those costs over our 3 month trip = $10.50.  Placing a cost of ownership on the motorhome can not really be determined until the motorhome is sold.  That cost can be significant or minimal.  IF you buy a motorhome that is fully depreciated, it's likely you may be able to sell if for the same price.  So daily cost is $.0. 

If we bought new and financed the acquisition, the daily cost would be significant.  For example, a $200,000 motorhome purchased at a 30% discount would cost $140,000.00  Financing that over 15 years at 5 - 6% would cost close to $7,000 in interest the first year.  Depending on state of purchase, sales tax could add another $10 to 14,000.  The depreciation on that same new motorhome that if sold after one year, maybe 10%.  Figure another $10 to 20,000 depending on various factors.  Now amortize those costs over a 3 months period, or even a year, and traveling by air, auto rentals and hotel rooms may look more appealing.  So depending on your travel needs the daily costs can become significant.  Amortize the low end of those big three costs over 90 days, $7,000 in interest, $10,000 in sales tax and $10,000 in depreciation and your at $300.00 a day.  And if you really like traveling first class, add another $20 to $40 a day for RV resorts rather than public campgrounds.  Now you're in the $400 a day range.  If you like having a personal auto to explore once your at a campground or RV resort, add the cost of a second vehicle.  Oh my insurance and registration costs that looked pretty good, just got a lot more expensive.  So the real bottom line is pretty much dependent on your needs, wants and desires.  Of course, your financial situation will really dictate your options.  If money is not an object, take the $400 a day cost and double or triple it.  As they say, you can't take it with you ;) 

I agree with Mopar years ago we looked at Travel USA (I think thats what its called) the unit was disgusting and I'm sure if you were to go in with a blacklight you would want Hazmat suit on. We can't do hotels either and really enjoy our own coach!!!

Thousands of people rent RVs every year and I've not heard many of deaths or incurable diseases reported.  Surely a reasonably healthy adult could tolerate it for a month or two?

Hi Larry J,

We rented a 24 foot class C last August for 8 days and the cost was $1,200. No doubt that a Class A would be more expensive to rent. I'd look at several different rental places and try to negotiate the best rate for a month or two. Not sure if they will rent that long also but there is probably someone who does. Best and good luck!

We've got some friends who have very nice Class A. They always wanted to take a few months and tour Canada and Alaska but they'd heard so many horror stories about the road conditions, that they were afraid it would tear up their coach. Last summer, they decided to buy a second coach, just to take the trip (must be nice). They bought a five year old 32 foot Class C somewhere near Phoenix (where they live) and toured all over the Yukon for several months. When they returned home, they sold it for what they paid for it.

Cruise America rents 25 foot Class Cs (in California) for about $3570.00 for 30 days (Fuel not included). If you want a "kitchen kit", that's extra. If you drive more than 3000 miles in that 30 days, you pay .34 cents for each additional mile. I'm not passing judgment on whether or not it's it's worth it (that's very subjective), I'm just pointing out that renting an RV for a couple months will be pricey - especially if you're going to be doing a lot of driving. If you had the time to shop for a "good deal," and not be rushed when it was time to sell it, it might be, financially, more attractive to buy one and sell it a few months later.

Kev

By the way garyb1st... please don't confuse me with the facts.  ;) (Cyndi Jo says HI and please say hi to your sweetie for us)

Thanks for all the replies.  Lots of good info to consider and digest. 
As far as valuing RVs, is nadaguide the best, or one of the best.  I bet there's a sticky regarding that that I didn't look for.

I might argue that no recreation vehicle, car, boat, plane, motorhome, trailer, etc. is economical in the sense that it pays its own way.

I would also argue that you cannot put a price on the memories of great family vacations, trips to wonderful places, the smiles on you and your kids faces, personally experiencing history, etc.

So somewhere, and this is highly personal, you do the best you can with the budget you have and have the biggest time you can afford. There's no wrong to enjoy time that you will never get again. Ask anyone with a terminal disease. I have two friends now in just that situation, but up until now, they have traveled whatever way they could knowing how precious that time was.

The money you spend, whichever way you chose to enjoy it, cannot be taken with you.

Have a great time every chance you get!

Kim

Kevin Means said:
Kev

By the way garyb1st... please don't confuse me with the facts.  ;) (Cyndi Jo says HI and please say hi to your sweetie for us)

Hi Kev.  Actually, I think the Sarge has all the Facts.  At least he keeps asking for them.  ;)    Hi back to Cyndi Jo from the two of us.  We're almost ready to hit the road.  It's been a head spinning month.  I've had Vertigo since the first of April.  Almost back to normal and now, more than ever, think Maria really needs to put some time behind the wheel of the Aerbus. 

The online NADA RV Guide is an estimated depreciation table and may not represent true market value. But it's free. You can buy the real NADA RV Guide on that website, though, and that should be fairly close. However, RVs have both seasonal and regional value differences, often quite substantial. The motorhome that is a hot seller in Florida or Arizona in the winter is not very interesting at the same time in New England.

Figure that a private sale price will be Low NADA value at best. Dealers ask Average or High and negotiate. Wholesale you don't want to hear about...  The RV market is much more variable than used cars - the number of potential buyers is smaller and personal tastes in color and such have a lot more impact. It's a house moreso than a vehicle, and selling times vary all over the map. Of course, a low price brings in the lookers and smoothes over a lot of possible objections!

Howdy,

Larry J said:
I'm considering a one or two month travel vacation in the US and was wondering how expensive it is to rent RVs.  Are Class A units available to rent or only Class C.  Are there certain rental companies to avoid?  What are the reputable companies.  GoRVing.com hasn't been very helpful in that regard.  I'm on the eastern shore of Virginia.  Thanks.

We've been renting RVs in the US at least annually for the last 4 years, and (for a one-month vacation) it was not worth it to purchase an RV and resell it later.

In our last US trip, we rented with these guys, which are a kind of "broker", and through them we picked Roadbear (which is the more expensive, but in our experience the best company quality-wise nowadays). The rental for a 22-feet class C (which was upgraded at no-cost to a 27-feet at pick-up time, due to unavailability of the 22-feet model) was $2254.08 "all inclusive" (insurance plus 2000-mile package)  for a 28-day period last december-january, with pick-up and return at Las Vegas. We also quoted the same trip with the RV companies directly, and believe it or not Ideamerge got us a better deal.

This turned out to be about $80/night, which we don't think would pay for motel+car rental, to say nothing of the comfort of carrying our (temporary) home with us everywhere, the economy of being able to make your own meals in the RV instead of dining out, etc. And there were cheaper options with the same broker (Cruise America, for example); we paid more for the Roadbear option because the difference was around $200, and Roadbear guarantees a same-year RV instead of four-year-old-or-newer like most of the others; the added peace-of-mind of getting a newer unit was worth it for us.

We boondocked many nights and stayed at NPS and county/state parks most of the rest, so our campground costs were on average very reasonable, but we were on the US SW, which is boondocker's heaven; I understand you would be going to the East coast, and we have no experience RVing there except on Florida, which proved more expensive at least during Winter.

Disclaimer: no affiliation to any of the mentioned companies except as a satisfied customer.

Cheers,
--
  Vall.

As I am reading through all the negative (like as in "Its a bad idea") to this question - I can't help but think of the millions and millions of people who stay in motels/hotels/b&bs/hostiles every day all over the world. I think asking a bunch of RV owners whether renting is a good idea, is kinda like asking a home owner if you should rent an apartment instead of buy.

I recently bought my motorhome, because when I looked at the price to rent - over $2000 for 7 days - pick up at 3pm on a Thursday, return by 11am the next Thursday - plus a $1200 deposit and limited miles, I decided that I could spend that money and enjoy my RV all summer long. I'm no where near retirement - as my kids are 7, 7 and 10, however after 2 months - we are still very very happy with our purchase. Its not top of the line - nor is it in perfect shape, but its May 5 and we have been camping in it 4 times and have slept in it in the driveway almost every weekend. And - I took it to an event where my sister's family was and we partied in it after the event.

I would never have tent camped or even traveled with motel renting, this much in the last 2 months.

So - would I rent if I were you - needing it for only 2 months....maybe. Would I worry about the people who used it before me? The same amount I worry when I rent a hotel room - very little.

Enjoy!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thumpercolt
Back
Top Bottom