is rv insurance more costly if it sits on the same lot all year

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mslater

my insurance agent wanted to know where my new rv would be parked ...on a site all year or moved back and forth. wondered if one cost more than another... thinking of having it towed to florida and leaving it on site for the year providing we like where were at.

From the research I did before we bought our first motorhome 2 years ago, we were offered a couple of options from Allstate.

One was to take out a policy, and to call them to put it in force for the days we would actually be traveling with it. When we returned, contact them, and there wouldn't be a charge while it sat. Since ours is stored in a secured indoor facility, I wasn't comfortable with all the "what ifs" that could happen to it. So I decided the best choice was to keep it fully insured at all times. It's actually cheaper than insurance on my car, which is older than our coach!!

Cynthia

Usually removing the collision portion of the policy while it is sitting lowers the premium.

But.... They may refuse you insurance in Florida if left there. I have been unable to get insurance in SW Florida  for the last 7 years or so because my 5th wheel is tied down and not ready to move. This stems from the hurricane experience of about 7 years ago and may only apply to 5th wheels or trailers. I have not tried again in the last few years.  Many policies were outright cancelled or simply not renewed in the year that followed the hurricane.

Hard to guess how any particular company might set their rates. Motorhomes can usually get lower rates when not being driven, but that is a matter of removing the vehicle liability insurance, which is a very substantial piece of the total. For a towable RV, liability insurance is not a factor.

Statistically, there is probably a greater risk in having an RV sited in a campground 24/7 than having it at home between uses. Not sure how a storage lot changes that - some are much safer than others. That would be something to question the insurance agent very closely about, i.e. what, if any, difference in coverage and premium will there be if kept ay home vs a storage yard vs a campground.

And as Stu noted, in some areas a non-movable RV may be considered to be at greater risk. An RV parked year-around in Florida is basically just a residence that doesn't meet the building codes for the region and thus is at greater risk. Of course it could also get blown away if stored at a Florida home, but so many rigs in Florida have absentee owners that the statistics have to accommodate Rvs that are essentially abandoned to their fate. That may not be a factor in, say, NY or Wisconsin.

The indoor storage facility we keep ours in, doesn't have insurance to cover it. They will only pay your deductible....and since they are constantly moving other RV's and boats in and out, I've elected to keep it covered at all times. This is the second indoor facility we have used, and the first also had the "no insurance" coverage, as well.

Cynthia

Cynthia,
I don't think anybody would suggest that you have no insurance at all while in storage. However, some insurers offer reduced rates while an RV is not in use. There is full coverage for some things, typically fire, theft, storm damage and that sort of thing, but there may be restrictions on other coverages. If your insurer offers that kind of off-season discount, ask them how it would apply to your rig while in the storage building or yard and see if it sounds adequate.

Back
Top Bottom