Is their a ghost in my photo?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mike eddleman

Took this at Anna Ruby Falls In Helen Ga this week and their it is. I've seen light spots before but not in the middle of the woods in the shade. I took it out of the original photo but was just wondering what might have caused it.

Attachments

• _DSC0594small.jpg
    _DSC0594small.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 451
    Mike, maybe it is the censor covering up a sensitive spot like a nude fish jumping.  ;)

Ed

That is the Good Witch Glinda arriving in her bubble.

Seriously, it is lens flare due to not having a lens hood on the camera. If you look closely you will see it is not round but it is six sided. It is the  blades of the aperture inside the lens. If you stop down your camera and then engage the DOF preview button you can look at the front of the lens and see that exact same shape. Get a lens hood and it will never happen again unless you point it more directly at the sun.

Mike
It only takes a ray of light coming down into the picture to create that effect. Here is an extream example of the phenomena. There was a hole above the folks sitting at the bar and the sun was shinning through the hole to over expose just the one area.
In any case it can make for a intresting picture.

Attachments

• DSCF0648 small.JPG
    DSCF0648 small.JPG
    105.2 KB · Views: 211
I have a few photos with these "mysterious" and "scary" orbs caught in mid air.

IF you have the flash enabled, and IF there happens to be a small bug or water droplet falling in front of the camera when the shutter is triggered, the bug or droplet is horrifically out of focus and the light reflecting off it looks just like the spots in your photo.

Just a possible explanation.

1joester2 said:
I have a few photos with these "mysterious" and "scary" orbs caught in mid air.

IF you have the flash enabled, and IF there happens to be a small bug or water droplet falling in front of the camera when the shutter is triggered, the bug or droplet is horrifically out of focus and the light reflecting off it looks just like the spots in your photo.

Just a possible explanation.

Or maybe it is a very very tiny UFO flying in front of the lens.

Lens flare can also be eliminated by buying very expensive lenses. They contain, amongst other things, is a special coating on the lens to eliminate lens flare.

I agree with Tom's explanation (not the one about the UFO  :) ).

In this case it may be a different kind of flare then the type that comes in from the side. It appears you are standing in the shade, so it would seem the sun has to be getting to the lens from other than a direct source. It also appears there is bright sun in the background through the brush and trees. And thirdly, that water seems to wind back toward the source of the flared light.

Your exposure cannot cover the range of stops between the main shaded part of your image and the bright background. So the main part is exposed properly and the sunny area in the left background is slightly overexposed though texture is displayed.

Anyway, what might have happened is that a small opening in the brush, like that on the left that displays the sunny area, might be exposing the sun on the lower end of the water stream. And the water there may have enough ripples to reflect and totally over expose the light from the sun. And with the camera exposed to the foreground, that comes in as a totally washed out chunk of light.

we were in an underground cave and caught these 2,what do you think?

Attachments

• SANY0645.JPG
    SANY0645.JPG
    87.6 KB · Views: 117
While I am very new to this forum, I have been a professional photographer for near 35 years...25 on film and the last 8 or so digital. So I think I speak with some authority about the image in question ; you have captured a really beautiful shot of the now very rare snow snake as it morphs into a snow pixel!  Snow snakes used to be very common...find their little white squiggly bodies in almost any old photograph.  They lived on dust that resided in darkrooms around the world.  Now that images are printed by computers with lasers and such, snow snakes have been driven to near extinction and, in their desperate fight for survival have developed the ability to morph themselves into snow pixels, more commonly seen as tiny white squares on newer images.  To have caught one in mid morph is amazing; even awe inspiring.  I tip my lenscap (and hood) to you!  ::)  ;)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dlord
Back
Top Bottom